Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SRAM power link question??
  • cheekyget
    Free Member

Hi guys
    I fitted a SRAM chain wrong the other day, it was a brand new chain (, I just didn’t put it thought the figure of 8 right…oops)
    Anyway I used the power link and next day I figured out why the chain was noisy so I undid the powerlink and redid the chain the right way
    Now I reused the same powerlink and it’s still did the big click when I did it..and I still had to apply the rear brake to make it click….will this be ok ??
    I know SRAM say it’s a one time used thing , but the bike never left the work stand

barnun
    Free Member

It will be fine

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve split and reused them fine, not easy to split without the tool but never had any issues doing it.

antigee

lost count of how many times i’ve done that and I’m still alive if a bit brain fuzzy

cheekyget
    Free Member

Awesome…thanks guys..so I guess it’s just another con in the bike world 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Power Links (8/9 speed) are reusable, Power Locks (10/11 speed) aren’t by design, but in reality are fine.

Flaperon

I won’t reuse Power Locks (except in extremis). You can see the wear on them once they’re apart and the image in my mind of the potential injury should it fail under high load ensures that I only replace with a new one.

otsdr
    Free Member

The only problem with reusing a Power Lock (over the lifetime of a single chain, of course) isn’t that it will fail under load, but that it can become undone when the chain is slack (i.e. over rough terrain). In my experience, once a bit of grime makes its way inside, it is pretty unlikely that the link will open by itself.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SRAM power link question??’ is closed to new replies.