Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • SRAM or shimano 1×11
  • OrangeLad
    Free Member

Thinking about replacing my x0 3×9 setup for 1×11. I like how SRAM shifters feel and give a very positive (some may call it heavy) feel to shift. However shimano prices seem to stay relatively constant but SRAMs have gone silly money. Question is are Sram X0 worth the premium over XT and in even XTR for the mech and shifters?

Poopscoop

Personally don’t like the on/off clutch idea of Shimano so I went sram.

If you keep some of the components GX level (cassette for sure) you can keep the price not much above Shimano and have that 10T sprocket.

Cost add up if you have to go for the XD hub though.

On one bike I can’t fit an XD Drive, so went all sram apart from XT 11 spd cassette. Works great.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got sram gx grip shift running the 10sp cranks. Works really well flawless really and lighter than xt with a bigger range. Nothing much to dislike really.

Poopscoop

mikewsmith – Member

Got sram gx grip shift running the 10sp cranks. Works really well flawless really and lighter than xt with a bigger range. Nothing much to dislike really.

GX gripshift here too. Glad Im not the only one who still loves GS. 😀

On both bikes I use the left shifter to control the dropper. 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Normal shifters I prefer Shimano, so got the XT 1x set up. Shifting is quite stiff and very positive, I’m pleased with it.

Only ever heard good reports about Gripshift though, I’d be tempted to try it.

benpinnick

Question is are Sram X0 worth the premium over XT and in even XTR for the mech and shifters?

In answer to your question… I would rather have a GX mech than XT, probably paired with an X01 shifter, although GX and X1 are both good too, but to be honest I cant tell the GX and X1 shifters apart

deadkenny
    Free Member

Personally for gears I’d drop one below X0 as there’s little benefit between X0 and the lower (was X9, now GX I think?). Just slightly lighter mech but doubt you’d notice. I had an original X0 mech but on swapping to a clutch I went with X9 as much cheaper and I was thinking if I smash the mech up it’s cheaper to replace. Haven’t regretted it at all. X9 shifters also fine.

Personally I prefer SRAM’s definite click feel to shifting. It’s a personal thing. Some prefer Shimano shifting feel.

P.S. Freehubs with 11 speed are different I believe. SRAM have their special XD design for freehubs so may mean new freehub or wheel, Shimano is more traditional (and can still use existing 9/10 speed hubs?)

bill-oddie
    Free Member

my new bike came with SRAM GX 11speed – the lower priced one. It’s ok but I don’t think the shifting is as good as on my previous 10 spd shimano XT mech – xtr shifter set up. Keep having to adjust cable tension at the shifter whilst riding around which is annoying….

Also I prefer on-off shimano clutch as the Sram version doesn’t actually seem to do anything. my mech still clangs around at the back, thought I was rid of that annoying noise for good!

I’m thinking that at some point I’ll buy an XTR shifter – xt mech combo (all 11 speed) and run it on the SRAM GX cassette for bigger range.

benpinnick

@billoddie sounds like your mech is bust. The SRAM clutch is always on, but the mech should be much stronger sprung than say a shimano one no clutch. Its a much more effective system (when working!). I would send it back, its a warranty job for sure.

I would also agree its not as good as an old XT/XTR 10spd combo, but then neither is an 11spd XT/XTR combo! Shifting quality pretty much maxxed out at that point I think.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Keep having to adjust cable tension at the shifter whilst riding around which is annoying….

Also I prefer on-off shimano clutch as the Sram version doesn’t actually seem to do

Honestly running XT 10sp and GX 11 I can’t see why you would want shimano, done one cable tension adjustment and the shifting is more precise than XT. Looking at the XT issues thread I think I picked right and I get the much bigger range

njee20
    Free Member

Honestly running XT 10sp and GX 11 I can’t see why you would want shimano, done one cable tension adjustment and the shifting is more precise than XT

I had to tweak my XX1 constantly, and change the cables regularly. XTR pisses all over it. friends experiences have varied though, whether it’s cable routing, maintenance, or what.

SRAM cassette though, nice to have the extra range.

endurokid
    Free Member

Looking at the XT issues thread

mikewsmith

can you expand on this / post a link?

I’ve just sold my X0 gear to go XT 11 speed so this is of interest to me.

Cheers

deadkenny
    Free Member

Used to find Shimano indefinite and was endlessly adjusting tension, but that was Deore shifters with SLX Shadow mech, which was horrible. SRAM X9/X0 have been lovely. Click, clunk, done. Rapid shift up 3 at a time is also spot on each time. Never fiddling with tension really.

Cables are universal, so long as you use SP41 outer and some SS inner, no matter what brand mech/shifter you use, all with be fine.

Only times I’ve had issues is with rubbish outers and poor quality ferules and the end frays, crud gets in there and then constantly adjusting tension to compensate, but the problem is the cable.

endurokid
    Free Member

Come to think of it I have issues with my Zee shifter and SLX medium cage clutch mech.

If the biker sits idle for any length of time I find when I ride for the first time the mech simply doesn’t move, I have to do this with my hand, then after 10 minutes of riding and shifting everything seems ok.

The cable, mech and shifter are all pretty new and I’ve checked them countless times, but adjusting the cable tension does help.

My X0 in comparison was the opposite, never missed a beat, so I hope I’ve done the right thing moving to XT 😐

benpinnick

Cables are universal, so long as you use SP41 outer and some SS inner, no matter what brand mech/shifter you use, all with be fine.

Actually they’re not 🙂 SRAM cables are smaller than Shimano ones. Its probably worth using SRAM cables as the shifter is likely to be fairly sensitive to this (if you open it up you’ll see why), whereas with shimano if it goes through the white hole you’re basically golden. I would like to point out I use ‘too big’ cables all the time, but if you’re experiencing index variability that might be one reason.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Good point. Now you mention it I have noticed different size options, but ignored that and always used the same, and yeah, maybe why I had Shimano hassles 😀

andylc
    Free Member

My ideal setup is SRAM 10-42 cassette with XTR shifter and mech. Prefer this to all XX1 which is what I started with.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ me too, exactly.

honourablegeorge

+1 for XTR gears with SRAM cassette

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

Xt 11-40 11spd cassette with oneup 45t big sprocket. Perfect shifts every time with m8000 shifter and less hassle in the (currently constant!) mud than sram 10t and a bigger range to go with it, for less money than a sram 10-42. Ditched sram a few years ago when their mechs started to spontaneously disassemble mid ride and their brakes needed bleeding every week…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Apposite, X9 gears with XT cassette. Though has more to do with stupid hubs that clash with SRAM cassettes than my preference for one cassette or another 😉

Actually if I could I prefer SRAM cassettes which just have a nicer finish and seem to be smoother. XT is okay but shifting seems more noisy. That said XT works out a cheaper option if you need an alloy spider cassette with a Swiss cheese alloy hub.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘SRAM or shimano 1×11’ is closed to new replies.