• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by moose.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • SRAM GX jockey wheels
  • submarined
    Free Member

I’ve got a ’16 GX 10sp rear mech that seemed really draggy. Thought it was the chain, pulled it off, turns out the jockey wheels are pretty much seized solid!
    Is this a common thing? Are there any reasonably priced replacements?
    In 20odd years of riding I’ve never had a jockey wheel seize,even in my teen days of zero maintenance.
    Have I just been super unlucky? I don’t want to replace like with like if they’re just going to do it again. They’ve only done a couple of hundred miles.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s very common.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Is this a common thing?

Absolutely, I got hope but there are loads of cheaper ones….don’t touch the SRAM ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XSRAM+11T+jockey+wheels.TRS0&_nkw=SRAM+11T+jockey+wheels&_sacat=0

submarined
    Free Member

So I’m guessing the solution includes the word ‘Shimano’?

Edit: cross post. . Not spending loads of money, so the cheaper ones are ok then?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

No. It involves the word ‘stainless’

dannyh
    Free Member

It must definitely not involve the ‘word’ SRAM, though.

The SRAM replacement wheels are a total rip-off and they are rubbish.

I found some cheapo ‘Meroca’ ones on Amazon that are not brilliant, but they’re better than the SRAM ones and about 1/8 the price.

submarined
    Free Member

Ace, thanks people. Is this exclusive to GX? I’ve got some similar vintage GX on another bike I’ve never had an issue with, but wondering if I should stock up.

parkesie
    Free Member

I just change the bearings on my 11spd mech don’t know if the 10 is the same you can just knock them out.

13thfloormonk

I honestly just think cartridge bearings are a poor solution for jockey wheels.

My GX seized too, so I knocked the bearings out and punched in some new, non-SRAM bearings. They seized too.

There was another thread recently where someone pointed out SRAM NX jockeys were half the price and used bushings instead of bearings, similar to Shimano. I got these as new GX jockeys have more than the normal number of teeth and the x-sync tooth profile, didn’t want to gamble with chain retention by going non-SRAM

dannyh
    Free Member

I honestly just think cartridge bearings are a poor solution for jockey wheels.

This.

submarined
    Free Member

Heh, I’ve just had a conversation with my mate that basically went ‘WTF? I’ve never had this happen, ever before. Maybe it’s because I’ve only ever used Shimano ones which are bushed…’ 😀

I can’t find NX ones anywhere, can anyone look me up? All I can find is the normal ones and the ones for force/rival.

carlos
    Free Member

Good luck actually getting them. Often has stuff on the site but not in stock and can become a runaround. Also trades as Mark Anthony (or at least used too) don’t know if the standard of service has improved but it used to be dire

Personally I’d steer clear and he’s only 12 miles away

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve ordered some of these for a tenner to try, as I’d really like to ride the bloody bike over Christmas!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K6AMSCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_m2SoAb7PPH04J

vincienup
    Free Member

One of my old 10sp X9 mechs did this. I swapped the wheels out for some red ano Aerozine jockeys my LBS had at under £20. Problem solved. It was an old mech, and I’d been pretty free with the degreaser spray for a mucky winter. Mech is still fine three years on. I don’t view this as a problem, I’ve changed my cleaning routine and not had another occurrence. Mechs have a hard life.

vincienup
    Free Member

@submarined, Shimano are bushed up to SLX. XT and XTR have bearings.

jamj1974

My mates x9 10spd did this only last week. I fitted some Tacx ones that he bought from Evans. I think they were £15.99.

BenjiM

The ones on my apex did the same basically disintegrated. replaced with some old Shimano ones from an old Ultegra Mech. No issues at all.

vincienup
    Free Member

The ano ones I fitted were simply using the excuse to add a bit of bling. I’m sure Tacx or BBB etc would have been as good.

Overall though, while an unmaintained bearing is always going to be more fragile than a bushing, I’m of the opinion I probably hastened mine by driving the grease out by not thinking what I was doing.

jonnym92

A few months ago I ordered the NX from Active Sport and received them a day or so later. All good. They are bushings, so no bearings to seize.

13thfloormonk

Good luck actually getting them. Often has stuff on the site but not in stock and can become a runaround. Also trades as Mark Anthony (or at least used too) don’t know if the standard of service has improved but it used to be dire

Haha, yeah I noticed after I’d ordered that they were M.A. so I feared the worst, but as jonnym92, they turned up a day or two later, well packaged, as described. No complaints really.

Am guessing the newer GX/NX are 12 tooth as you need an even number to then employ thick/thin teeth. If I knew it wouldn’t affect the chain keeping I would have gone non-SRAM, but don’t see any reason now thanks to the NX jockey wheels being available.

SRAM will probably smell a rat when sales of new £40 GX jockey wheels drop off and they have to discontinue the NX ones… 🙄

bikemad
    Free Member

I’ve got two 11sp & an eagle GX mech’s easy to free them pop outer seals off using a razorblade (careful !) upper corner prise them out,get a nut/bolt though middle tight then clamp in a vice.
    Copious amounts of gt85 or similar,rock back & forth until it frees off then flush out repack with grease ideally marine re-fit seals back they’ll be good as new.
    I give mine a service every 6-8 months or after been submerged & not had any problems since, people seem to hammer stuff but don’t bother then moan its seized up !

13thfloormonk

I give mine a service every 6-8 months or after been submerged & not had any problems since, people seem to hammer stuff but don’t bother then moan its seized up

Two rides for me between replacing seized bearings with new, and new bearings seizing. 6-8 months would be great! Point is, having to service my jockey wheels is a step too far for me, I don’t have a vice, or a drill, and bushed jockey wheels do the job just as well for quarter of the price and don’t need serviced every two rides (YMMV etc.) 8)

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve done 250 odd miles in this, always clean it down after a muddy ride, and take extra care with lubi ng the moving parts. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect them to last a bit longer, tbh.

I’ve got these stripped and plan on overhauling, but it’s a faff I’ve never had to go through with Shimano stuff that’s been completely abused.

moose
    Free Member

I have a GX 11Spd, when the inevitable went tits, I got some uberbike ones, rolling smooth a year later with minimal maint.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘SRAM GX jockey wheels’ is closed to new replies.