Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • sram gx eagle?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Anyone have the groupset at all?. Does it compare to XT or better, more weighty or similar?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

It hasn’t hit the shops anywhere yet.
    We’ve got it on order, complete group sets & parts (cassette’s & chains mains for those already running Eagle, but looking for cheaper replacement items)

vincienup
    Free Member

Pretty sure SRAM have weights posted. GX 1×11 shifts as well as XT and is lighter (just) and has a wider range. GX Eagle has a wider range than GX 1×11. The cassette is now quite a bit bigger so extra weight wouldn’t surprise me.

Preferring the shift dynamics/ergonomics of one or the other is always valid, but SRAM really do seem to have smoked Shimano on the mechanical group stakes.

benpinnick

Its very little in it weight wise between GX and XT, and that is mainly dependent on the cranks. The new GX 7K crank is pretty light so probably edges it in favour of a GX set up over full XT with 11-46. but you’re splitting hairs, it will be just a few g (~25g I would expect).

The 12 speed kit is a step up from 11 speed, and in many ways GX already had the edge at 11 I would say, the 12 speed version cements that advantage. Its selling well too. We’re shipping around 20% of all bikes with GX12 already.

v666ern
    Free Member

if it helps crc are quoting

Out of stock. Estimated back on 11 Aug 2017

Thats for the individual parts though

Poopscoop

Very tempted by this groupset.

Though I would initially probably run it with a RF cinch crank.

Wonder if a 11spd NW chain ring works with 12spd?

v666ern
    Free Member

^ Thats what im musing on too – have just bought the RF cranks and i have the GX on my other bike and im VERY happy with it

zilog6128

I’ve read (on here) that it works, although I’ll be upgrading from 10 spd so will be buying 12 spd everything anyway!

jamiep
    Free Member

Superstar’s Raptor N/W are said to be 12S compatible

benpinnick

AFAIK you’re fine running an 11spd ring on eagle. I will say though one of the best bits of eagle is the new chainrings. I am sure many aftermarket copies will appear though. The raptor is sort of half way there, I guess they probably ran into some patents over the full eagle design.

joemmo
    Free Member

Are there any parts of 11spd GX that are cross compatible with GX eagle or is it a complete swap out? Realistically I guess it would only be the mech and chainset anyway but am guessing it’s all change…

tomhoward

Mech isn’t, iirc the jockey wheels are bigger to cope with the 50t

benpinnick

It’s a total swap out I’m afraid.

joemmo
    Free Member

curses… still, its not like the 11spd doesn’t do a decent job.

Poopscoop

Still looking very tempting at some point.

Like the aesthetics of the 24mm crank too…. not that, that is a big deal as such.lol

goldenwonder
    Free Member

It is a total swap out, as the teeth on the 12sp chainrings are a different profile.
    Eagle Sram won’t honour the warranty unless it’s fitted as a complete groupset if there’s an issue, so I’d assume the same with the GX version.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

So a 12 spd chainring won’t fit onto an existing 11spd x01 crank?

Goldigger
    Free Member

benpinnick

@mingTM the rings will swap out.

sideshow
    Free Member

How reliable are these compared to XT? I’m reluctant to go SRAM since my 10 speed X9 had a clutch fail ultimately causing it to work loose and jump through my spokes, and the replacement X7 seems to have clutch failure already

tomhoward

Had sram 11speed (XX1 through to X1) for 4 years and XX1 12 speed for 6 months, on 6 different bikes (including an ebike). All have been faultless.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

approaching 4000km on GX, only changed chain rings and chain in that time.
    I think most people would agree SRAM have nailed 1x.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘sram gx eagle?’ is closed to new replies.