Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • SRAM GX 11 Speed – any reason to avoid it?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just seen the SRAM GX ‘Budget’ 11 Speed kit. Looks good to my eye – has anyone tried it out? Is it a “Deore equivalent’ 11 Speed?

My current drive train has just about had it and this looks like an option I could consider to move to 11 speed.

benpinnick

Its more like SLX 11 speed. Very good stuff, we’re selling alot and it will probably be on my next steed.

rhayter

11 speed XT is cheaper. And XT. So there’s that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Still don’t have the range though.

kimbers

njee20 – Member
    Still don’t have the range though.

meh, close enough !

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

XT 11 speed with GX cassette waiting to go on my bike. Best of both worlds.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

XT is great if you can’t get an XD driver for your wheel.
    If you prefer the way shimano shifts then go XT with a GX cassette if your wheel allows.
    If you’re replacing your chainset as well then the dearer GX one will take a direct mount ring, so you can run down to a 28t if you are that way inclined.

But to answer your original question, no there’s nothing wrong with GX.
    Rear gear is mechanically the same as XX1 and only about 20 grams heavier!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks for the input folks. I’ve run both Shimano and SRAM over the last few years so not really bothered about one brand over the other but like the look of the GX stuff and it has a good range as mentioned.

Was more worried that there might be some compromises made to get it to the price point.

rhayter

The only compromise is a bit of weight on the cassette, as far as I can tell.

STATO
    Free Member

The only compromise is a bit of weight on the cassette, as far as I can tell.

Based on how badly their X7 and even X9 stuff wears out and gets sloppy id be leaning toward Shimano and XT (even though equally unproven) for mechs and shifter until evidence suggests otherwise.

kimbers

Id have to agree with stato, sram shifters were fine but my x7 mech developed loads of play in every bushing after about 6 months

will the xt mech work with the gx cassette at the 10t end? if so thats a winner for me

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Based on how badly their X7 and even X9 stuff wears out and gets sloppy id be leaning toward Shimano and XT (even though equally unproven) for mechs and shifter until evidence suggests otherwise.

2 years in with heavy use on SRAM X9 and it still shifts perfectly even after doing 2 hangers with sticks and crashes. The mech feels loose at times but shifting is still 10/10. Thats with a 40t too.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

will the xt mech work with the gx cassette at the 10t end? if so thats a winner for me

Not tried it yet, but I am working on the assumption that multiple people have run XTR M9000 on 10-42 cassettes for the last few months with no reported issues so this combo should be equally trouble free.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

FYI fitted this last night and rode today, works perfectly. None of the elsewhere reported issues of chains coming off back pedalling and the like. KMC chain and Superstar ring on SLX cranks while I wait for the oval ring to turn up to go on my new XT ones. Love it

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Aftermarket I would go xt 11 speed GX cassette. I bet a lot complete bikes will be coming with GX kit.

rone

Having had a few x01 rear mechs I thought I would try a gx rear mech. Cannot tell the difference. Looks the same feels the same.

The only thing that’s increasingly frustrating is SRAM’s bloody confusing naming system. I mean xx1, x01, x1, gx. It takes an age to figure what you’re getting for the money. Two cassettes in the gx range!!

zelak999
    Free Member

Just don’t ask which chain to use with it though.
    May well cause a ruckus………

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I run XO1 and was thinking of going the other way when my uber expensive cassette wears out, i.e. fitting an XT cassette with the rest remaining SRAM. Will this work?

charliemort

I have GX cassette, Hope ring, XT mech, XTR shifter, SRAM chain

faultless through Epic Cymru (unlike my legs)

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

domderbyshire – Member
    I run XO1 and was thinking of going the other way when my uber expensive cassette wears out, i.e. fitting an XT cassette with the rest remaining SRAM. Will this work?

Yes, but you’ll have to change the cassette body on your freehub too.

May aswell just get a GX cassette as it’ll be cheaper and you’ll keep the greater range.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Ok. I happen to have a spare Shimano type freehub knocking around, so that’s covered. Just curious if it’ll work or not.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

It will be fine but I really don’t see the benefit. For the sake of saving a fiver or so you get a cassette with less range and more weight than the XG. If you have the XD driver already I’d just replace it with an XG cassette.

bowglie

I fitted a full GX drivetrain to one of my bikes about 3 weeks ago. I’ve done a few rides on it now and cannot tell the difference between it, and the X01/XX1 mix that’s on my garage queen bike – I’ve been very impressed with the GX stuff. I ride Shimano and SRAM 2×10’s as well, so not really in any particular brand camp. I fancied trying the XT 11 speed with 11-42 but found out the cassette weighs about 50g more than the GX cassette. If you’ve already got an XD driver for your wheel, I’d definately recommend the GX stuff.

Oh, FWIW, I haven’t noticed the SRAM mechs deteriorating any faster than XT/SLX stuff over time – but then I have bike cleaning OCD 😉

p.s. I got my GX kit from Springs and Things and Hibike, who were very competitive on pricing.

dingleberry
    Free Member

Anyone been able to find the 1175 cassette anywhere?

bowglie

Dingleberry, I think I got mine from Hibike, Germany.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘SRAM GX 11 Speed – any reason to avoid it?’ is closed to new replies.