Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SRAM Guide brakes – turkey gobbling…!
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I havent seen any long term reviews yet, but mine have just started gobbling like an old set of Avids after about a year of use. No other changes to the bike, so weird really.

I always felt they lacked some power, but quite liked the feel vs XT. But it might be time for a set of Saints now.

Liftman

Have you changed the pads recently, did you bed them in properly.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Nope, no reason for them to go all Avid on me

wrecker
    Free Member

My guides have been flawless so far. In fact, I sold my XT’s in favour of them. Clean the rotors and change the pads.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Mine are good so far, better by a country mile than my new xtr trails on another bike, probably due to dodgy bleed from factory.

kimbers

My mates guides are a year old and failed on him on the last descent at Vallelujah, something has snapped inside the lever.
    SRAM are usually good with warranty tho

golo
    Free Member

@agent – almost certainly something has got onto the disc. If the usual fixes don’t work, get medieval on them. I had to take mine off, sprayed them with disc cleaner then set it on fire. Did that a couple of times to get rid of any traces. For good measure I then sanded them. What ever was on there is likely on your pads too now so sand them too. You’ll have to bed them in again.

@kimbers – Guides are pretty easy to take apart if your oppo is even basically accomplished taking things apart and reassembling methodically. The internals are on Amazon for about £20. There is a special tool you need (get your mate to read the service manual). On eBay for £8.

scaled
    Free Member

Mine have been pretty bullet proof, gave them then their first bleed in 14 months yesterday and the old fluid was minging

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Considering they do a 2 year Warranty

Guides are pretty easy to take apart if your oppo is even basically accomplished taking things apart and reassembling methodically.

Personally I’d just send them back and get them fixed/replaced for free. My general rule is in warranty leave alone 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Nearly fell off the chair.

F’n saved. Expect to see this again!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Guide brakes – turkey gobbling…!’ is closed to new replies.