Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sram Grip Shifters (particularly for 1×11), thoughts?
  • cokie

Gripshits had a bad reputation, but I think that mainly stems from the first iteration of the system and also it’s use on BSOs and Kids bikes.

It’s been a few years since I’ve heard anything about them, or seen anyone run one in fact. How are the 1×11 Sram Grip shifters shaping up? What is the performance like on a quality grip shifter? Does anyone run one and have a comparison to a traditional thumb shifter? I’m looking at a new 1×11 setup and have thought about using Grip Shifters for a change..

Denis99
    Free Member

Just bought a new sram 11 speed grip shifter, had about two or three rides on it now.

Haven’t used them for years, since I last had a Rohloff hub.

Like it, seems very easy to use, I appreciate keeping my hand wrapped around the grip when descending, just feels more secure.

Took a while to get used to it, did search for the thumb shift occasionally, also took a little time to dial the rear mech in to make the changes a little more snappy.

cokie

Great, thanks for that Denis.
    Sounds like it’s worth giving it a try.

What level did you buy (NX, etc.)? Is there any slop/play in the shifter or does it remain fairly solid until twisted?

I’m tempted to go NX and if I like it then upgrade.

Denis99
    Free Member

It was the X01 version.

Very crisp, once dialled in properly.

yakko100
    Free Member

I have an old X0 9 speed shifter on my main trail bike, works very well. Grip shift really shines in adverse conditions, if you’ve been riding all day and your hands are cold and tired, you can still change gear very quickly and effectively.

finbar
    Free Member

I like Gripshift, I still have a set on my XC bike. Not really sure why it got such a bad rep to be honest.

Poopscoop

I’ve only used gripshift since the 90’s.

That said I’m building up a bike with sram triggers just for a change after all these years.

Latest gripshift I have are 2×11 GX. No different to 1×11 of course.

They are great basically. Got them on 2 bikes with the left shifter used to operate a cable pulled dropper post! 😀

Light, simple (though 11 speed has more in it than the older models) and comfortable.

I have a pair (left and right 2×11, 1×11) going on the for sale section soon with a 1×11 GX rear mech too. And chain. Done less than 50 miles. Virtually like new.

Ahem…. Sorry to go off topic! Lol

onandon
    Free Member

Life long gripsgift fan. Just changed the fatbike from XX Mech and shifter to GX mech and shifter to go 11 speed. Not much difference at all other than a bit of extra weigh. Both shift equally as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sram Grip Shifters (particularly for 1×11), thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.