Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)
  • SRAM eagle problem any one experienced it?
  • russyh
    Free Member

Scrap that i have my problem sussed!!!  It appears the top Jockey wheel retaining bolt has come undone!!  God knows how its all still there!  You can see from the images!  Not sure how that has happened. There is thread lock on the bolts!  hopefully thats fixed it for me

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

right check this out!!!! my brand new genuine eagle jockey wheels

the old ones that replaced and any pic I can find on google, DO NOT look like this on the lower one? it appears now that bigger lower jockey wheel has got a lip of plastic all the way around? maybe this is the fix that would stop allowing the chain to fall down the side of the jockey wheels????? it protrudes out meaning theres no/less space for the chain to fall into?

could be the simplest fix ever, unless anyone else eagle mechs have this lip on them?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

this is a side view of it- you can  see the plastic lip protrudes all the way around the lower, meaning/hoping that the chain has no space to fall down?!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kryton57

Where did you source those?

Poopscoop

Pics broken mate, could you pm me a link? Or via email?

Will compare to my new GX Eagle…

Poopscoop

Well check my mech later. Here’s your pic for others to see….

20180329_095302_zpsfe6qmetb

Poopscoop

Just checked my GX Eagle mech, it does NOT have a jockey like that!

You have a new design there and I agree with  you’re reasoning on the design change.

Could you share the link please, from where you got them, Just so we know for future reference? 😃

Slacks
    Free Member

They look identical to the jockeys I have. The bearings seized up and locked the drive train.

Has anyone tried to replace the bearings? I found this article:

Making a dollar out of fifteen cents

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I got them from my lbs who says they are readily available from distro

Big ride today no other change other than the jockeys abd it didnt do it once!!!!!

Every mech eagle wise ive seen has not got the lip around the big jockey wheel. None in the shop have, can you check again see if its got a protruding plastic lip all the way around?

Its definitely a new design compared to all other eagle jockeys ive seen i put it side by side to my old one and its 100% different, theres no where now for the chain to fall off the jockey the lip all the way around stops it from happening

gribble
    Free Member

Have just had an Eagle groupset delivered. I am about to send it back in part because of the comment here. I would prefer reliability over range of gears- would I be best to go for GX 11 speed? There is almost no price advantage in doing so, as I got Eagle with cranks for under £300.

It is cheaper for me to go with Shimano 11 speed, but I here mixed reviews.

I am sorry for you all to hear all the problems being experienced here – my old 9/10 speed gear has always worked ok.

Poopscoop

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Oscillate Wildly
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

I got them from my lbs who says they are readily available from distro

</div>

Hi mate,I know it’s very dependant on the shop, but how much were the jockeys? 😃

Gribble, I wont be sending my groupset back personally. The way I look at it, most people evidently don’t get this issue. Think of how many oem groupsets are out there and working fine?

However,I will be getting the new design jockey wheels for it at some point as I can see how it “should” stop the chain getting wedged in the cage…. Anyway,I ride the North Downs and I simply don’t ride massively gnarly stuff likely to make the chain drop.

Your other option is to get the E13 (9-50t) cassette and mate that to an 11spd drivetrain for even more range than the Eagle…. I thought about it but some say the E13 cassette didn’t shift as well as shim/ sram.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Think they were 35 rrp so not too expensive they are the gx version

Last 3 or 4 rides its happened to m4 a few times

Today not once with no other change

When you look closely now its all fitted i really cant see how its remotely possible the chain will get wedged in the cage at all it has no where to go

Poopscoop

Cheers mate.

I’m going to order some online and see if they are the new ones…. If not, send them back,at my costs obvs…

Poopscoop
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Thems the ones 🙂

Poopscoop

Cool, will sell mine on eBay. 😉

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

@gribble:

wise decision!

It appears to me that SRAM skipped the “testing part” for the 1×12 design. The bikers are the tester right now…

My biking pals: the 1×12 bikers tune all the time on their 1×12 drivetrain. Would drive me nuts…

dumbbot
    Free Member

All well and good with the new jockey wheel design but won’t the bearings still be made of cheese. This is thread amongst the other reports of issues has really put me off Eagle, I’m not sure I can be bothered with the faffy set up, and a Sram XD driver either. Happy enough with my idiot proof and unfussy SRAM gx/sunrace 46t..(and hope jockey wheels)

Poopscoop

Going to pack the jockeys with waterproof grease and I’ve also ordered some bearings which I can press into the the jockeys if they get really bad.

The bearings are much cheaper than new jockeys…

russyh
    Free Member

I’m buying the uberbike ones with stainless bearings once they release the eagle specific ones later next month.

XD drive is far superior in my opinion (and it is just an opinion) to Shimanos splined system.  Also I don’t find Eagle faffy to set up, my only issue has been with a loose jockey wheel all now sorted!

Akers

I’ve always been a Shimano man. Today I have just ordered my Dream bike with Eagle X01. I will be looking carefully upon delivery to check if this new flanged lower jockey wheel is fitted as standard.

Poopscoop

^^

I’m betting it won’t be fitted with the new one to be honest. It looks like these jockeys have only just hit the retailers.

My GX mech was bought just a few weeks ago and has the older ones.

That said, you never know!

gribble
    Free Member

Poopscoop – reference your earlier comments about not sending your GX back if you were me, in your opinion is the only issue with GX Eagle the bad jockey wheels?

if so, I will just order some Uber bike ones from the start and bin the original set. Am living in a world of confusion and not sure what is the best way to proceed…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Gribble just keep the Eagle . If you try to find bad reviews about anything you will find them . I know quite a few people with Eagle and they all seem to love it . I’m seriously considering a Trek Fuel EX 8 which they sell for the same price with Eagle or XT  which bizarrely has 2 x 11 and I will definitely go for the Eagle equipped version .

oikeith

wrong topic again, but my uber SRAM jockey wheels arrived for my 11speed set up and they look lovely and the bearings feel nice with no play. When I removed the old ones they had so much side play it was unreal!

Slacks
    Free Member

I checked. I was incorrect about my jockeys there weren’t the new type.

I ordered two sets of the new ones from SJS over the weekend. Just had email to say they don’t have stock and SRAM say it will be May before they have more . 🙁

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/12-speed-eagle-better-than-shimano-11-speed-which-way-to-go/

Just for a bit of balance Gribble , here’s a thread currently running .

Poopscoop

Got the new design jockeys arrive from SJS today. The design is definitely there to take up space in the cage so the chain can’t get wedged.

If it isn’t then I see no reason for it being there.

Poopscoop

EDIT: Token amount of grease in the bearings, so topped up with marine grease.

Poopscoop

gribble
    Free Member

Ramsey – thanks. I saw the other thread. Have kept my Eagle and m going tin be putting the rest of the entire kit I need for the build.

Appreciate all the advice.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

poopscoop! way better, see what I mean by theres no where for the chain to fall now?

what ever you’ve read on this thread gribble about eagle don’t be put off, this is literally the only issue ive had on mine now in well over 1 year of full on use! its never missed a beat bar that, which seemingly it looks like they have sorted with a simple lower jockey change!

Poopscoop

^^

That’s for the PM Oscillate.

Glad to hear it survived the ride you mentioned without issue!

Bodes well. 👍

Poopscoop

^^

That’s for the PM Oscillate.

Glad to hear it survived the ride you mentioned without issue!

Bodes well. 👍

russyh
    Free Member

So I’m having a new problem now!  Down shifting has become incredibly slow.  I have changed the inner and putter cable, which is now running beautifully smooth, cleaned lubed everything and greased Jockey wheels, reset mech indexing, B tension etc.  Oh and replaced mech hanger.   It’s like the spring is too weak to pull the mech back down when cable is released.  Very annoying, not least as I think warranty replacement will take a few weeks.  Any advice as to what might be going wrong?

roverpig

Just bought the “trigger upgrade” kit (group set minus cranks) from bike-components.de and it came with the new jockey wheels, which was a pleasant surprise.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Sticky derailleur pivots?

I clouted one once that just made a pivot tight but was otherwise dead staright and in line.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Just shore the bolt off the top jockey on my Gx 12spd yesterday on Snowdon.  Thankfully it didn’t happen on lap 1 with a load of climbing left! I’d still be walking back now I think!  It had been running fine, shifting perfectly through a South Wales winter then the first sunny day and it explodes.  Is it possible they don’t like the sun?! Anyone had any joy with warranty if they’ve changed the design? It’s only 6 months old.

Poopscoop

Might be worth a shot if you bring up the fact that the new ones are distinctly different to stop the chain wedging in the cage.

That said, did yours explode because the chain jammed in the cage?

neilc1881
    Free Member

It may have done, was rattling down Snowdon at the time and felt it jam up, then next thing chain is off, roll down a bit past the rocky stuff to stop and see top jockey wheel has gone.

Shop I got the bike from have suggested returning to Sram, so fingers crossed.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘SRAM eagle problem any one experienced it?’ is closed to new replies.