• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SRAM Eagle noisy?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

is anyone else’s rather noisy? in terms of gear rotation noise (not creaks clicks or otherwise), just generally noisy?

I’m running a absolute black oval chainring, and wonder if its partly the cause?

if I clean the chain, put lube on and ride for the first 10 miles or so it seems very quiet, but then as the lube starts to wear, or its hot and starts to dry etc, it goes pretty noisy, noticeable in pretty much every gear

wondering if the new design chain does like the teeth on the AB oval perhaps

lawman91

Nope, mine is pretty quiet and I generally don’t tend to look after my drivetrain as well as many. Could be the ring causing the issues like you say.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Friend is running his on a new Slash – it seems to be super sensitive compared to 11spd XX1.

It’s infuriating him so much as it just doesn’t run right. SRAM have replaced the whole lot at races & it it still doesn’t sound good.

Not much help, but you arn’t the only one.

mboy
    Free Member

About 8 months into Eagle ownership now and put a fair amount of miles in (more than 600 now) all off road. So far so good.

Yes the setup is a bit less forgiving than 11spd, and if you don’t get it spot on it can be a bit noisy, but well setup it’s as quiet as anything else and the gear range is fantastic. Also the 12spd chain and cassette are WAY tougher than the previous 11spd, insane mileages being reported on it from others. My chain is nowhere near 0.75% yet and the cassette almost looks new, yet equivalent 11spd chains were stretched beyond 0.75 in 3-400 miles!

ogden
    Free Member

My friend is running it on his bike and I commented that it was quite noisy the other day

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

interesting hob nob! is he running the stock eagle chainring?

in terms of quality mboy I have no complaints, wear seems incredible on the cassette, chains and it shifts very nicely indeed, setup seems spot on, on mine

the only issue ive got the is the noise, its quietened down by a freshly lubed chain (ie wet still), but as soon as that starts to dry it doesn’t sound good at all, in fact when its wet outside and crap weather it sounds better than when its dry and dusty, and its not the chainlube I’m using, ive used 3 different sorts (all of which Ive used before and never had the noise) and its still the same

blacknose
    Free Member

I found it incredibly noisy on the first ride after installation but since then as long as everything is cleanish and lubed it’s no louder than an 11 speed setup. I am using an actual Eagle chainring though, not an aftermarket.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My Ab-Black oval ring went really noisy when using the 50t and 42t after about 500 miles.
    Put the eagle chainring back on and was quiet.

DanW
    Free Member

Away from Eagle, my AB ring is noticeably more noisy than other rings so it may be worth looking in to. As soon as things get even slightly mucky the noise ramps up

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Eagle noisy?’ is closed to new replies.