Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Sram chains are made of tin foil and toffee
  • enduroforever
    Free Member

As above, absolute toss. That is all

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Some people don’t know how to make front gear changes .

patriotpro
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware they were edible.

enduroforever
    Free Member

Some people just don’t know how to make chains

enduroforever
    Free Member

I also wouldn’t advise eating tin foil either, it might cut on the way out

bikeneil
    Free Member

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware they were edible.

I don’t think tin foil is .

zerocool

Personally I’m a fan, been using SRAM 9 & 10 speed chains for years without any problems.

I’ve broken most brands of chain over the years and SRAM have held up as well as any other

andytherocketeer

SRAM must use the stronger oven cooking type tin foil.

KMC must use the ultra lightweight stuff that’s as flimsy as gold leaf.

IME

enduroforever
    Free Member

The chain is the workman, the bike is the tool. The workman failed, the tool is fine

Spin
    Free Member

SRAM chains on all 5 of my bikes for the last 5 years.

One breakage due to a mis-shift in that time.

I can say why others are suggesting you did something wrong yourself as they’ve been super reliable for me.

I used to use shimano but went through a stage of snapping them. I now use sram on the same setup and haven’t snapped one since.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Pah, 1050 (?) 10 SPD ones are utter toss

enduroforever
    Free Member

My old one was a shimano I had no bother from it. This sram one has snapped twice in three rides and not during shifting either

swavis

Sram on all my bikes, have done for years and only ever broken one and that was due to user error.
    Shimano on the other hand were total shite when I tried them. That was a while ago right enough but I’m happy with Sram and see no need to change.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’ve used both Shimano and SRAM, SRAM currently, and I honestly don’t remember when I last broke a chain. Pushing on 20 years ago I think. It does make me suspect that there’s an issue for some folk with either how they fit them or adjust them or shift gears as some riders break chains all the time and mine seem to only ever die from wearing out.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Sram lover here, but my latest pc1 has only lasted 6 months and is dead. Usually get 2 years out of them. Gone to a KMC jobbie this time round. Only non sram chain now.

Keef
    Free Member

enduroforever – Member
    the tool is fine

😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve used both Shimano and SRAM, SRAM currently, and I honestly don’t remember when I last broke a chain. Pushing on 20 years ago I think. It does make me suspect that there’s an issue for some folk with either how they fit them or adjust them or shift gears as some riders break chains all the time and mine seem to only ever die from wearing out.

Ohh yeah. I used to be fairly sure that was the case. And having seen how the general public ‘look after’ their bikes I’m now convinced! Lack of mechanical sympathy is usually the case in chain breakages.

jono1982
    Free Member

Sram for me since the early 90’s (was called Sachs, then Sedis before)
    xc, bmx DJ, track, road, dh, 1,7,8,9,10 speed. never snapped one.

https://www.facebook.com/PivotBoompodsRacing

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll bear that in mind OP, when it comes to replacing my 30 month old chain.
    Only ever snapped a chain once in the last 6 years and that was because it was used on the SDW bone dry with no lube on it.

13thfloormonk

Generally I never noticed the difference between SRAM and Shimano, until I tried a PC-1 on a horizontal drop bike. It was garbage, and so was the one I replaced it with, stretched a crazy amount and constantly dropped. Replaced with a KMC on the exact same set up and had no problems at all.

The latest 10spd SRAM I used was OK-ish although bizarrely I had one single roller fail after two months or so, the chain stayed intact but there was no support for the chainring teeth and it sucked badly.

I stopped using them purely because of the price gouging, snaplinks went from 95p for one re-usable link to $4.50 for one non-re-usable* link. I would love to hear SRAM’s justification for that one.

*Except with pliers etc etc

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Sram chains are made of tin foil and toffee’ is closed to new replies.