Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SRAM 971 Chain Problems – Very stiff when re-making
  • iceman8
    Free Member

Encountered a weird one today and was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar / knows how to remedy it:

Using a relatively new Sram 971 9spd chain, when I break it out (e.g. to remove a link) and then remake it the re-made joint becomes virtually impossible to move. I tried it with a spare bit of the same chain I had lying around and find the same – every time a make a link back up it becomes really stiff. I tried the same process with an old chain and had no problems.

I have never had this problem before and have used chain splitters on loads of chains over the years so would initially rule out “user error”.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Just having the same problem,
    Can anyone shed some light?

sparkyrhino

use the power link

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tacopowell
    Free Member

I am but I’ve had but in my situation I’ve had to shorten the chain, the links I’ve rebuilt are so bleeding stiff.

Del

just free it off with the splitter? it’s just the outer links pinching a bit tight is all i would expect?

chiefgrooveguru

Use more power links! You can’t rejoin 9/10/11 speed chains the old way.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes you can. Use the inner plates on the chain splitter to push the pin out of the outer plates a smidge.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Yes you can. Use the inner plates on the chain splitter to push the pin out of the outer plates a smidge.

Bang on! Many Thanks,
    You learn something new everyday!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SRAM 971 Chain Problems – Very stiff when re-making’ is closed to new replies.