Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • SRAM 1×12 group?
  • STATO
    Free Member

£50 chain! ouch

cokie

Yeah, those consumables are expensive.. £50 chain, £79 chainring & £302 cassette, that’s £431! That said, there’s always healthy discounts available.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yeah, those consumables are expensive.. £50 chain, £79 chainring & £302 cassette, that’s £431! That said, there’s always healthy discounts available.

Yea, the XT branded version with slightly less range and a £50 cassette :-p

Stollen from the Ask Chips a question thread:

“In a choice between Shimano and SRAM which groupset would you go for, XT or XTR?”

I know that to an extent the explosion in cycling and MTB’s popularity over the last 15 years has lead to more ‘aspirational’ brands and pricing att he top end (the fact hat a Thompson elite stem/seatpost is now decidedly mid range says it all). And that the lower and mid range stuff is far better than is used to be (I happily ran X5 on my last bike, 15 yeas ago it was XT or nothing). But it’s getting daft.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m relieved to read others have found SRAM pivots go sloppy in no time. I did fear it might be the lower end components I was using!

2 or 3×9 is where it’s at.

DT78
    Free Member

Pah, just back from a quick spin on my 1×9 setup. I’m holding out for 1×13

Goldigger
    Free Member

XX1 Complete Group: £1,173.00
    Not including a from mech…I’m out 😀

I can buy an Anthem 2 2015 for less than that!

krixmeister

Prices do seem a bit steep, given that in my experience with SRAM everything, with exception maybe of the cranks, is a consumable. Still, I’ll probably be wanting 1×12 on one of my bikes, because I like shiny new things and I am a poser.

tpbiker
    Free Member

thats just silly money. 350 quid for a cassette????

njee20
    Free Member

**sigh**

This is basically the same price as XX1, which itself was cheaper than XX. How long are we gonna spend saying “how much for x?!”

>£300 XX cassettes have been here for more than 6 years now. This isn’t new.

chakaping
    Free Member

This is basically the same price as XX1, which itself was cheaper than XX. How long are we gonna spend saying “how much for x?!”

>£300 XX cassettes have been here for more than 6 years now. This isn’t new.

Shouldn’t the real question be “how long are they gonna continue with their ridiculous overpricing?”

You think they’d have got the message by now.

johnnystorm

Is their daft over pricing stopping people from buying it though? If the market will buy a 350 quid cassette that’s what they’ll sell them for!

njee20
    Free Member

Shouldn’t the real question be “how long are they gonna continue with their ridiculous overpricing?”
    You think they’d have got the message by now

Yeah, they never sell a group set. Never actually seen an XX1 cassette myself. 🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Wow insane price for what is essentially a consumable set of parts as soon as you put them on an mtb.

chakaping
    Free Member

I certainly don’t know anyone who’s bought any top end Sram stuff aftermarket. Honestly, I’m not just saying that for the sake of internet point scoring.

edward2000
    Free Member

I’m going to run 12 x 3 so I can have 36 gears.

johnnystorm
    slackalice
    Free Member

I suspect there are very many people who will be prepared to pay. They probably reside in parts of the world away from the north of England and the British Isles 😉

RustySpanner

Njee, I think we’re going to keep complaining about the cost because frankly, that much for a cassette is ludicrous.

I don’t care if there are people out there who can justify the cost to themselves because ‘the market will bear it’.

Cycling has finally disappeared up it’s own arse.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

You gotta think most people won’t spend 350 on a cassette but will spend 150 for it when its on Chain Reaction etc.
    Who pays full retail on these cassettes anyhow?
    Max

bails

I’m sure it’s good but

“Partial freedom is partial slavery. What Eagle drivetrains do, is give the rider 100% Freedom” – Chris Hilton, Eagle Product Manager.

Really? Would 13 gears be 108.3% freedom?

njee20
    Free Member

I certainly don’t know anyone who’s bought any top end Sram stuff aftermarket. Honestly, I’m not just saying that for the sake of internet point scoring

Me.

If you don’t like the prices don’t pay them. It’s not rocket surgery. See also Enve rims, Fox forks, Audis and houses.

Well, no, it did it 6 years ago surely when SRAM released these cassettes. Prices have barely changed since. In fact, in 1999 an XTR chainset was £275, plus £50 for the BB, with an outer chainring costing £100. 17 years on prices are down 30% on drivetrain consumables in real terms.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have XX1 on one of my bikes (came with it on).
    When I need a new cassette and chain, I’ll just put shimano XT on.

bensales
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    I certainly don’t know anyone who’s bought any top end Sram stuff aftermarket. Honestly, I’m not just saying that for the sake of internet point scoring.

I’ve got a XX1 equipped bike. When the stuff wears it’ll likely get replace with this stuff.

You got to remember the audience for this stuff. It’s either XC racers on their best race bike, in which case it’ll last because it’s being used once a month for thirty miles. Or it’s lucky sods like my who got a decent bonus and after twenty years want a really nice bike. Again, it’s one of several bikes so overall usage is low.

Top end stuff has always been silly money. In 1995 XTR was double the cost of XT for a full group.

Porsches are more expensive than Mondeos and pointless comparisons are pointless comparisons.

bigwill
    Free Member

Silly money aside, how long will the cage need to be for a 50t cassette? I suppose at least when it gets bent out it could be used as an expensive kick stand. the rear derailleur is the weak link on all mountain bikes, making them smaller or ideally removing them all together is the way forward, not the opposite.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Love the cost complaints on these – it’s the top of the line Groupset!!! How many people complaining at the cost regularly fit XTR to their bikes?

I don’t care if there are people out there who can justify the cost to themselves because ‘the market will bear it’.

and yet a 10sp cassette can be had for 19.49 or 29.99 at full RRP. Yet it’s way up it’s own arse there isnt it.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-hg62-10-speed-cassette-55585.html
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-pg1030-10-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod67864 (30 quid)
    The GX prices are in the same ball park as the XT so I’d expect that in a 1-2 years time.

I certainly don’t know anyone who’s bought any top end Sram stuff aftermarket. Honestly, I’m not just saying that for the sake of internet point scoring

When it came out my LBS sold a lot of it, mostly upgrades, some were swap outs on floor stock bikes, people were happy to upgrade and a suitable price was arranged.

The same LBS did a front mech/shifter beer exchange a while back they just had som many hardly used take off’s that they couldn’t even give them away.

chestrockwell

I can see the point of this moRe than I could 1×11 as it seems to genuinely give you the range of 2x. Saying that, the comments about the rear mech becoming more vulnerable are valid and there’s bound to be a weight penalty so I still struggle to see the reason for not staying 2x.

mattyfez

£350 for a cassette that’ll be worn out in 2 years of you do any millage.. Think I’ll pass!

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘SRAM 1×12 group?’ is closed to new replies.