Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sram 11 speed or eagle , Is the 12 speed better ?
  • orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s time for a new mech , cassette and shifter for my enduro.
    Both xx1 11 speed and the eagle 12 speed seem similar in price but apart from the extra range is there any other advantage with eagle 12 speed ?

And yes has to be sram as I want gripshift

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is there any real point of xx unless somebody else is paying?

SirHC

Current mech and shifter worn? I find a new set of jockey wheels and pulling the pin out of the rear mech and adding tension to the clutch sorts the mech out.

Seems to be a lot of little changes everywhere:
    http://enduro-mtb.com/en/should-i-upgrade-to-sram-eagle-12-things-you-need-to-know/

I could see the benefits, but will only change when my current x01 parts are completely ruined.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Nope no real point in xx over x0 but it’s what I want and on a bike that I don’t use in the winter it should last well enough.

There is no shifter or mech on the bike at all as they got robbed to build something else

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s one more.

Though 11 is surely enough as all things should go to 11 😀

p.s. surprised to hear someone actually wants a grip shift. Beyond 8 year olds. Or maybe that’s just me and remembering at age 8ish thinking how cool they were, then growing up and having proper shifters. 😛

mickmcd
    Free Member

Went back to shimano

Honestly never used the top sprocket on my 12 speed it’s almost too low a gear

mikewsmith
    Free Member

p.s. surprised to hear someone actually wants a grip shift. Beyond 8 year olds. Or maybe that’s just me and remembering at age 8ish thinking how cool they were, then growing up and having proper shifters.

I’ll dig out my x rays, just way more comfortable in recovery and second nature now – the 11sp ones are awsome and light.

on the 11vs12 mate had eagle and span past me with a 34t, if you want the top end back then probably worth it. If cost no difference then go for it.

andyl
    Free Member

Went back to shimano

Honestly never used the top sprocket on my 12 speed it’s almost too low a gear

put a bigger chainring on then 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s one betterer.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

12vs11 or 10vs11 always reminds me of Spinal Tap….

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Same as deadkenny then…

orangeboy
    Free Member

Knackered thumb means gripshift is much nicer for longer days out for me and as above modern gripshift works just fine.

oldtalent
    Free Member

As a kid i remember doing jumps on a grifter with a twist grip & the gears changing mid air with the classic sturmy archer false neutral causing crashes on landing.
    I assume it would be the same on an mtb? Why would anyone want this?

tomhoward

All the reviews say it’s a little nicer to use than the 11 speed version, it’s very nice but I’m not sure I can tell the difference as the 11 speed is really nice… Re xx1 vs xo1, the only difference is in the crank and the coating on the cassette so if it were me buying again, I’d def go xo1 rather than xx1, Sram even say x01 for enduro, xx1 for weight weenie xc bikes, mine was the latter so I had no choice 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Factory Jackson did a brilliant long term review of Eagle the other day, well worth a read.

I’m 8 months into Eagle ownership. Aside from the lower bottom gear (and/or taller top gear) there’s lots of little improvements. I was sceptical, but the reality is it really is a lot better groupset than just the extra cog. Cassette looks almost new after 500 odd miles off road (including a lot through winter), chain is nowhere near 0.75% stretched (I was getting 300-350 miles on an 11spd chain before they went past 0.75%!), shift action is a little lighter and the clutch action in the mech is even better at keeping the chain on.

I upped from a 30T chainring to a 32T, which meant I had a slightly taller top gear that I can just about use on occasion, and a super low bailout bottom gear that gets reserved for the steepest of climbs. Tried a 34T briefly and found 34/10 unusable, and the 34/50 bottom gear was useful but not as useful as 32/50 and a 32/10 top gear I can actually pedal at times!

Put it this way… I’m in the middle of working out how much I could make for the 2 spare 11spd drivetrains I’ve got lying around, some forks I’m not using and spare set of wheels, to go towards an Eagle setup for my new Hardtail!

chakaping
    Free Member

There will be a cheaper less-extortionate Sram 12sp drivetrain out this year, maybe worth waiting for that.

keithr
    Free Member

I assume it would be the same on an mtb? Why would anyone want this?

You assume wrongly.

otsdr
    Free Member

I’m on X01 myself, with a 32T chainring; pretty much the ideal setup for the kind of riding I do.
    I don’t need the 50T or the longer derailleur cage and chain associated with it.

tomhoward

X01 is available in 12speed…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Having got a variety of GX, X1 and X01, I can safely say they make crap all difference other than a lighter pocket and maybe a fractionally lighter bike.

Bit different from the older line where X5 & X7 were noticeably different to X9 & X0. X0 were a slight performance improvement also. XX, like XX1 is just for weight weenies and more fragile.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I am a fully paid up gold plated weight weenie so weight is very very important to me. I can’t see I need to range of 12 but some of the long term test links above make good reading , so thanks to all

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sram 11 speed or eagle , Is the 12 speed better ?’ is closed to new replies.