Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SRAM 10 speed crankset work with 11 speed
  • deano8
    Free Member

Just wondered if a sram 10 speed double crankset would work instead of my 11 speed X1 crankset?
    These 10 speed xx and xo crankset sell cheaply on eBay.
    Anyone tried them?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

10 and 11 spd cranks and chain rings seem to be identical. I’ve seen a set of Cannondale-logo’ed Sram Red carbon cranks that came on an 11spd bike, the stamp on the rings has a ’10’ in it….

mboy
    Free Member

Put it this way…

The chainring doesn’t care how many speeds you have on the back…

Also, the internal width of 10 and 11spd chains is identical, it’s just the outer plates are very slightly thinner on 11spd contributing to the slight reduction in width. So the chainring won’t notice a difference between a 10spd chain and an 11…

deano8
    Free Member

Thank you for your replies so far.
    Would a 3 speed or dual crankset have the better chain line for 11 speed?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i wouldn’t buy XX – id buy an X0 as they normally come with a removable spider, then remove spider and rings and fit a direct mount narrow wide SRAM/Absolute Black/Works ring

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Running x9 with the spider removed on my gx11 setup with no issues.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Just to give something to think about, are you planning to put a double on instead of your x1 and use it with existing X1 rear mech? If so the mech won’t let you run 2x or 3x apparently as it’s designed for 1x only. Never tried it myself but look into it before dropping cash.

deano8
    Free Member

Thank you for all your advice, will be sticking to 11speed but would like shorter cranks as I’ve always run 170mm:)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SRAM 10 speed crankset work with 11 speed’ is closed to new replies.