Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SR Suntour XCM chainset. Which tool to remove it ?
  • bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Can anyone point me in the direction of the tool to take this chainset off ?

mattyfez

Just a hex/socket and a regular crank puller tool I think, which bit are you trying to remove?

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

that’s what I thought. the hex was fine but my puller won’t fit, like it needs a specific tool.

coatesy
    Free Member

Standard puller on those, why won’t yours fit? A common problem is the threads pulling out before the crank comes free.

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

“goes out to his shed to try again”

johnw1984
    Free Member

Some crank pullers have a reversible or changeable head. Is there not a smaller or bigger one screwed to the handle that you can swap over?

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Right. So on the non drive side there is a silver ring part which is easily removed then the bolt. My extractor is too small as its thread is about 2 cm’s.

Could it be self extracting ?

kayla1
    Free Member

Do they self-extract like SRAM cranks? Leave the silver ring in and just unscrew the bolt out against the silver ring?

bencooper
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s got a self extractor in it – is that ring screwed in with some pin spanner holes to turn it?

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Yep. So I’m thinking I undo the bolt which will push against the ring and free it.
    I tried this but wasn’t sure so didn’t want to force it until sure.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, as long as the ring is metal not plastic it should work fine.

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

With a fair amount of wellie needed ?

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Just want to check. How much force would this need? it won’t budge and I’m giving it a huge amount.

cyclistm
    Free Member

A pic would help

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

https://goo.gl/images/fTMDJK

It’s this one. I’ll try to get a pic up. always struggle getting it to work.

It just won’t budge.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SR Suntour XCM chainset. Which tool to remove it ?’ is closed to new replies.