Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Squirt lube users
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

What are your thoughts?

Used on a very wet ride yesterday, decent length etc, it seemed quite good, quiet and very clean with no black gunk build up

Only thibg i noticed near the end it felt really really dry like nothing was left on the chain, and also shifting down the cassette suddenly felt quite slow like it had worn off?

Is it more of a spring/summer lube?

tthew

I too thought it was a bit prone to washing off in the wet, but nice as a dry lubricant. Horses for courses innit.

edit – it’s a bit more tenacious if you remember to put it on in the night before you are going to use it, but that’s relative and it’s still not great.

spectraken
    Free Member

I’ve found that after wet riding, I have to relube but i much prefer Squirt to using a heavier thick lube and having a greasy black mess on my chain.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Seems to last no more than a couple of hours / 30km or so if it’s at all wet. Despite all the live, I just gave up on it. Maybe ok for very short rides.

martinhutch

As long as you relube and give it enough chance to dry on the chain before riding, I find it lasts a bit longer. I reapply it immediately after a wet ride. For longer rides I take a tiny bottle and wipe the chain, reapply at the lunch stop.

My current chainset has lasted about four times further than the previous one which enjoyed the benefits of finish line wet during the winter.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We relube every ride with Squirt wet or dry. It’s definitely all gone by the end of a wet ride but can still ride 5/6 hours on it.

Main problem is applying it after cleaning the bike in winter. No point while the chain is still wet from being hosed off and you get surface rust by the time it dries. Can’t use WD40 to remove the water and I don’t have an air hose to blast the water off the chain….

martinhutch

I’m not too fussy about a bone dry chain. Getting most of the water off by spinning it and using a rag to dry it off a bit before reapplying seems to allow it to work OK for me.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t use it in the wet, but it’s unrivalled in the dry IMO.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I did use a rag on it after and it came up like new again, so instantly reapplied more lube for next outing

I did put two layers on the night beofre knowing it was going to be a wet one, it was just really the last climb/descent i noticed the shifting had gone a bit slower so guess it had worn off, but wed gone through big puddles, streams all sorts before this happened upto that point it felt really good and quiet too

martinhutch

It’s safe to say it isn’t designed to outlast very wet rides, but I’d rather ride lubeless for a few miles than ride with a mixture of lube and sandy clag from mile 10 onwards.

roverpig

I’m pretty happy with it. Yes it washes off (three hours in the rain yesterday, for example) but by the time it does your chain is soaked and water is actually a pretty good lubricant. OK, it doesn’t sound great, but it all still works and as long as I dry the chain and re-apply before it gets rusty it seems to work just fine.

It isn’t ideal for an all day ride where things might get wet (a few stream crossings, for example) then dry out again. But I tend to just stick with it and take a small bottle to re-apply when I stop.

russyh
    Free Member

Summer use only for me, when it is in fact excellent. In the winter I stick with wet lube now.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I use it on the race bikes and it is very good. In terms of efficiency it’s one of the best. But chain is cleaned and lubed regularly.

Might use it on the training bikes in summer but usually go for something like the fenwicks wax lube (or putoline if I have the time) year round.

cynic-al
    Free Member

In terms of efficiency it’s one of the best.

Source? How many watts?

dcarley
    Free Member

I use it all year round. Apply after every ride – it’s still less effort than regularly degreasing a wet lube. Only problem I’ve had is surface rust when I left the bike wet after one particularly miserable race.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Source? How many watts?

Friction Facts I think. Google it if you’re curious.

Davesport

I dry the chain using an airline and then apply the Squirt after I get home. Its then got at least a day to dry out before I ride again. I can get a full day out of this on the beach and trails without the chain sounding like its gone dry.

iainc

I don’t use it in the winter as it’s gone in first hour or so in the wet. Love it in summer and find it holds up ok on damp rides then.

Bullet

Must admit I have found it useless despite cleaning and recleaning the chain before applying. Just seems to disappear and youngest that horrible dry chain feeling… Finish Line Ceramic Wet for me and regular cleaning works best.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I use it until things get really wet then switch to Rock N Roll extreme lube which deals with the wet better whilst keeping the chain pretty clean.

I used it up until Christmas time this year because the weather wasn’t got bad.

Kryton57

I’ve been using it exclusively for several years now, and can only repeat the comments above – great in the dry, clean and dry the chain before application, apply after cleaning ready for the next ride and washes off quickly in the wet.

However, I don’t understand this “dry chain” feeling people are expressing – I’ve never had a stiff, squeaking or rattling chain when using it so what is it.

snooze
    Free Member

I have been using Squirt for the last 4 years and think that it works really well and is my preferred lube. I find that the drive train seems noticeably smoother and quieter when I use it.

Initially I used it as a 2-3 season lube, changing to a wet lube for the 5-6 months over the Winter. This was because, following a few wet rides, when I first started using Squirt, and when I didn’t immediately clean and dry the bike I noticed some rust on the chain and cassette.

This year, more by accident than design (we‘ve had a reasonable dry winter and so I never quite got around to cleaning all the wax off the chain and applying a wet lube), I have run Squirt through the winter and so far so good. It is a water based lube so will wash off eventually in wet conditions, but I find that as long as I’m reasonably careful it works well…..for my riding and location. For example, I almost never ride for more than 3 hours; I live/ride in an area where the majority of the trails dry and drain well; I have the flexibility to be able to arrange my rides around the weather so I rarely ride when it’s actually raining or immediately after a downpour; In the winter I wash the bike and chain after every ride, dry the bike and thoroughly dry the drive train including final dry of the chain using very absorbent kitchen roll…….I have a friend who runs Squirt all year round and is even more OCD than me and uses an old hair dryer! I then apply the Squirt to the chain immediately after cleaning so it has plenty of time to dry before the bike is used again.

So while it has worked for me this winter, if I was doing longer rides, in wetter conditions and not always having option/being bothered to clean and dry the bike after every ride then I’d probably, reluctantly, go back to a wet lube during the winter months.

One option if you have a couple of bikes might be to set one of the bikes up as your winter/mud bike with wet lube and use that bike of the wettest days and carry on running Squirt year round on your main bike.

singletracksurfer

Another keen user of it here. Keeps the chain largely gunk free.

Although as most people have stated, best in the summer and I take one of those sweet diddy little bottles with me, especially on big rides.

motozulu
    Free Member

Used it exclusively for 2 years now. Apply at least 4 hours before a ride, always reapply after a very wet ride. Great stuff – gunk free chain – no grinding paste which basically is what a wet lube becomes about 500 yards into a wet day’s riding.

scotroutes

Some folk must be applying far too much chain lube.

Yak

I use it pretty much all of the time. Always apply to a dry chain and the night before. It’s fine in damp conditions. It’s just rides with chain-drenching deep puddles that wash it off. Like yesterday’s brass monkeys – I think it had all gone by lap 3. But then a wet lube would have been a sandy grinding paste, so nothing would have been perfect there.

motozulu
    Free Member

I always found that no matter how little wet lube I applied – once the weather turned it became a grinding paste – even in summer, tbh – like a grit magnet. I’ll never go back.

avdave2

I use it on my road bike. The important thing is as others have said put it on well in advance of a ride and you really need to degrease the chain really well before the first application. I don’t use it on my mountain bike as it has hub gears and any old oil will do on that, I’ve been using left over gear box oil for 10 years on that.

iainc

whilst I really rate it in dryer conditions on MTB, I didn’t like it on road bike at all. Quite a build up of black flakey bits, which seemed to be a common issue when used on road. I read some blurb somewhere that suggested off road these bits get bounced off so don’t accumulate but that it isn’t really suited to road use for this reason….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

wow plenty of users then!!

ill stick with it now were going into spring, it did deal with a lot of the ride at weekend, just started to fail (or maybe it wasn’t, and if it just feels dry that’s normal?!)

all I can say is near the end, the chain felt really quite dry by hand, and shifting down the cassette had got noticeably slower than at the start of the ride/freshly lubed

I don’t really see the point in taking a bottle out with me though? surely if it needs to set over night, then applying it whilst out riding seems like no logic to it at all, as surely it wont have time to work and instantly come off?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Squirt lube users’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts