Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Squirt chain lube or similar?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

My squirt has run out! What is similar/cheaper? Or do i just buy more squirt?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bump

andyl
    Free Member

Tried the weldtite version and didn’t like it. wondered if I should have bought squirt instead.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I’m onto my second bottle of White Lightning Clean Ride, which I really like – but exclusively for summer use. It does what it says on the tin bottle, but the fact it’s not oil base means (obviously) the chain starts to rust when it rains if I’m not on top of a clean/dry/WD40/dry/re-lube routine after every wet outing.

drofluf
    Free Member

Pedro’s Ice Lube

neninja
    Free Member

Having used Prolink Progold successfully for a couple of years I fancied a change.

Just started using Fenwicks Stealth Mountain Bike lube – very happy with it so far. Bit of a faff to apply but chain runs quietly and stays pretty clean.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I don’t mess about with anything except Squirt these days.

messiah
    Free Member

I’m a squirter; good compromise of performance and minimum faffage.

muddyground
    Free Member

I like Squirt, but watch the pawl maintenance on Hope hubs as it can clog them up over time leading to rusty springs and a creaking hub. I’d love to see an explanation as to how the Dickens it finds a way in though.

Northwind

It’s more faff (actually it’s as much faff as lubing a chain could possibly be!) but works much better- putoline motorbike chain wax. A tin’s not cheap but it seems like mine will last forever.

Wasn’t really a squirt fan tbh, when it worked it was great but it had an aversion to some flavours of dirt I think.

iainc

I use squirt, but think the Fenwicks Stealth stuff is better, certtainly on the road bike – less grungy and cloggy with time

matther01
    Free Member

Been using squirt for the last two years rain or shine and clean and reapply after two rides. When it works…why change? Will never use any other line due to the amount of crap they all accumulate.

unklehomered
    Free Member

More squirt, bite the bullet and buy the big bottle from indust (distributer), works out much cheaper (the also sent me an extranormal bottle for free !). That’s me sortewd for a long time now.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Big bottle bought

scotroutes

I’ve tried it and it’s nothing special. Ice Lube is a good call.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Just use whatever is on sale…works for me. If you don’t like it, use it up by kindly offering to lube all your mates chains and buy something different next time

andyl
    Free Member

It’s more faff (actually it’s as much faff as lubing a chain could possibly be!) but works much better- putoline motorbike chain wax. A tin’s not cheap but it seems like mine will last forever.

Wasn’t really a squirt fan tbh, when it worked it was great but it had an aversion to some flavours of dirt I think.

I’m actually wondering about going this route. Have a small induction hob that will heat the tin nicely somewhere away from the kitchen.

How do you deal with the excess? Do you just hang the chain above the tin while it cools and let it run off?

Where is TJ when you need him?….

Northwind

Yeah, I attach a bit of string to the chain before it goes in, then when I take it out just let it hang by that- it doesn’t drip for very long, but the ones that do drip are massive, black and pretty messy so it’s worth being careful. It’s all just made fiddly by everything being hot.

johnnystorm

I’m nearly out of squirt and have some weldtite to replace it, hope it’s somewhere near as good. Last weekend was an overnighter and threatened to be a washout so I used some muc-off wet. Turned out to be a dry day and I couldn’t believe how much crap that collected. My clean bike looked like one that had never been looked after!

If the weldtite is no good I’m getting a big bottle of squirt and using the other stuff for the kids here at school who need it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I got some of that Muc Off Ceramic lube, only used it on the hybrid so far but it’s done a week in London and about 80 miles, and everything stilll looks remarkably shiny and clean. Very slippery stuff.

No idea what it’ll be like off-road – with a bit of luck I’ll let you know after the weekend.

variflex
    Free Member

+1 more squirt.
    Had the same problem with MucOff Wet….horrible stuff on my bikes, just collected dirt like nothing else.

I wash bikes after every ride and re-apply squirt after riding rather than just before, that way it has time to sink in to the links.

mduncombe
    Free Member

I switched from White Lightning to Fenwicks Stealth and have just realised that I cant remember when I last lubed the chain on my MTB yet its still squeak,rust and oily residue free. Seems to be doing the job.

sharkbait
    Free Member

A couple of months ago my chain was a mess (had even gone a bit rusty) so I cleaned the rust off in vinegar and salt and gave it a wipe clean.
    I then realised I didn’t have any lube but I do have a few litres of chainsaw oil so I put bit into a tub, dropped the chain in and left it for a few mins, pulled it out and hung it over the oil pot for the excess to drip off.
    Result is a very nicely lubed chain – quiet and changes are slick. I’ve relubed it chainsaw oil once since put am planning to try the motorbike wax as I’ve got a trials bike also.

molgrips
    Free Member

Rust is not that big of a deal by the way. It’s only a light surface bit and disappears after riding for a few miles. Unless you let it get really out of hand of course by leaving your bike outside for months.

DickBarton

Really liked Squirt but couldn’t afford new bottle so went for Pedros Ice stuff. have tk say I’m more impressed with that…cheaper to buy and seems to last longer between applicatjkns than Squirt. both very good but I think I’ll stick with the pedros wax…

thejesmonddingo

I’ve been using the Mucoff ceramic,I think it’s better than Squirt,no rust yet with Mucoff in the wet,unlike Squirt.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Veriflex, Squirt is wax based, therefore the idea is for it to be completely dry before use anyway.
    +1 for it but for me dry months only

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

After years of trying just about every lube out there I’ve gone back to GT85! The chain on my Sirrus has survived a winter commuting.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’m really liking Green Lube “dry” at the moment. Seems to last a long time, works great in the dry and is pretty cheap too 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Squirt chain lube or similar?’ is closed to new replies.