Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Squats after A Turbo session – worth it?
  • Kryton57

I want to build a bit more power in my legs and have two 16kg kettlebells at home. Going with what I have then, would a couple of sets of squats at 32kg after a turbo session be worthwhile, or are they two light?

rsvktm

Never bothered with squats for leg power, devolped a pretty decent sprint power from low cadence high torque efforts. However always been intrigued by box jumps, just not very good at doing routines.

shermer75
    Free Member

Standard advice is to work out your 1 rep max (the heaviest weight you can lift, so heavy that you can only lift it once), then for power training (sprinting etc) do a set of 6-10 reps at 60-70% of that rep max, with 3-5 minutes rest between sets. Jury seems to be out on how many sets to do, some say there’s no advantage in doing more than one! A lot of people play it safe and say x3. Then let it recover for a couple of days!! (this is as important as doing the initial exercise). And don’t forget to stretch, otherwise your muscle will shorten and you will lose some of your hard fought for gains as well as risk damaging the knee joint.

Good info here:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/weight.htm

jonny-m
    Free Member

Don’t bother
    Put more effort into your turbo session, make sure you can’t / don’t want to do your squats afterwards, save them for the next session.
    Unless your doing 2 sessions a day and you can leave a long time in between, even then 2 hard sessions a day isn’t always a good idea.
    Just do one good session a day.
    You can always make The exercise harder by changing the tempo and increasing the range etc.

Dilwyn
    Free Member

I’d be doing them before the turbo to make sure that your form isn’t compromised. If your form on the turbo is compromised it’s not a problem but you’ll get far more out of the squats by doing them well.
    Make sure you concentrate on using your gluteus and hamstrings.
    With those weights you’ll probably want to be doing split stance squats or Bulgarian split squats. This will also even out any imbalance between left and right legs. It will not only increase your power but improve your stance on the bike and I find my riding with my wrong foot forward is massively improved.

Kryton57

Cheers. I think I’ll do a few spilt squat / Bulgarian squat efforts on my off days.

edhornby

If you can do anything other than collapse on the floor after a turbo session, you’ve not gone hard enough on the turbo

monkeychild
    Free Member

If you can do anything other than collapse on the floor after a turbo session, you’ve not gone hard enough on the turbo

^This. I just wanted to collapse and feel sorry for myself after a turbo session.

Macavity
    Free Member
    Macavity
    Free Member

Kryton57

edhornby – Member

Already doing this, just looking for some extra after my 20 mins recovery.

stevede
    Free Member

You could use a single kettle bell and do single leg squats (pistol squats) or if you need a hand with balance you can use the kettle bell for balance out front at arms length and build up to eventually doing them weighted. These are great for making sure your non dominant leg gets the same workload.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Squats after A Turbo session – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.