Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • square taper axle length for middle burn crank?
  • harvey
    Free Member

i have a nice On One titanium mtb frame. the bottom bracket threads are banjaxed. i used a velo orange threadless bb. it worked really well even though i had to guess the axle length . the bearings are now starting to go so i need to replace. can anyone tell me the correct axle length i should be ordering? using a triple middleburn crankset
    thanks
    btw it was a 26″ frame, now transformed into a great ‘gravel bike’ with 700 wheels and 35mm cx tyres

schmiken

113mm – gives a 48mm chainline for triple.

Stoner
    Free Member

+1 113mm for typical 47.5mm chainline.

scaredypants

might it depend how big a chainring the OP is planning to use ?

joshvegas
    Free Member

If the velo orange ones are the same as the yst one i reckon you can get the bearings off and replaced usinga bearing splitter which looks alit like a headrace remiver but cheaper….

harvey
    Free Member

thanks very much guys, i think i bought a 110 the last time and thought it was a bit tight, so 113 makes sense.
    i’ll buy a 113 anyway and then have a go at replacing the bearings for a spare. you help is much appreciated.

billyboy
    Free Member

A while back I found that using a 113 with a top swing mech and a Middleburn crank didn’t allow the mech to come in enough for the lower gears and I had to use a 118. Possibly that was on a late 90’s steel Kona frame!! Normally crank manufacturers will specify an axle length. Finding that info can be tricky though!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘square taper axle length for middle burn crank?’ is closed to new replies.