Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • spyre brakes, anyone happy with theirs?
  • pete68
    Free Member

I’ve got trp spares fitted to my new bike and so far I’m pretty unimpressed. The original pads gave up after 3 rides. The last of those 3 was filthy wet and by the end of the ride I couldn’t stop at all, in fact I had to walk the last hill although it was a 1 in 4. New pads fitted are shimano ones and are a bit better but still not a patch on the calipers on my old bike. So if anyone thinks theirs are really good, then what’s your set up? I did use compressionless cables so that should be okay. Are there any pads that work particularly well with these or even different rotors.

simondbarnes

I really rate mine. Been running them pretty much since they first came out on my cross bike. The originals got replaced as part of the safety recall but other than that no issues at all. Pads are the original ones, cables are bog standard bontrager outers (they did a nice green colour) and Ashima Action + inners.

monkeychild
    Free Member

You got the cable routed behind the bolt on the calliper??

pete68
    Free Member

Yep cable in the right place. I am that thread by peterpoddy about that so I made sure I got it right.

oxym0r0n

Mine are great: original rotors, compressionless outer, deore pads, cable in the right place – consistently out break my friends who are running calipers. (160f, 140r fwiw)

JB
    Free Member

Mine are utter Toss, hate them with a growing passion!
    Tried various different pads and rotors to no avail.
    Suspect the only real cure is to throw them in the bin and replace with Hope hydraulics (maybe).

cynic-al
    Free Member

How can a product that’s so simple have such extreme degrees of success?

mintimperial

Mine are good. Bit juddery if you drag them at low speed, but otherwise excellent. I’m on stock pads and rotors (160mm), no problems with what came in the box. They’re better than the BB7s on my other cable-disc bike (but not as good as the Shimano and Formula hydraulics on my proper MTBs, obviously). Compressionless cable outer made a big difference though.

simondbarnes

How can a product that’s so simple have such extreme degrees of success?

I find cable disc brakes need very careful setup to get the best out of them.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I had one of the first sets of Spyres in the country, which got replaced under the recall, so I’ve probably done 5000 miles on the two sets combined. They replaced some BB5s that in comparison were chalk / cheese.

I found the Spyres an absolute doddle to set up, very forgiving on tolerance and just make sense having two moving pistons. Yes, a fettle now and again works well – tightening the barrel adjuster, or even a tweak on the cable pinch bolt, but really and truly, they’re very easy to live with – and to adjust when required.

They’re currently set up with Clarks replacement pads – can’t recall what the original pads were like TBH. The rest of the braking system is Ultegra 6700 levers, some Goodridge inners and outers, the stock lightweight TRP rotors, some ti rotor bolts and that’s about it.

corroded
    Free Member

Very pleased with my Spyres. The stock pads lasted a decent amount of time. They’ve been reliable and as powerful as I need. Easy to adjust. I recently replaced the stock pads with Shimano resin pads, which I won’t use again as they’re wearing through at an alarming rate. But with sintered pads there’s little I would improve on them. I’m using Jagwire FWIW.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Neat and easy to set up but they lack the power of some cable discs. New pads night help.
    Also, everyone, make sure you’ve got the cable under the securing bolt, not on top of it.

benji
    Free Member

Been happy enough with the ones on my giant defy, my only gripe is under heavy braking they make a brrrrrr noise, but I can live with that.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Pleased with mine, although pads didn’t last – although they state they aren’t going to last long in muddy conditions I think.

Used avid g2 rotors from the start, gore cables, and rws skewers.

Changed to rwd sintered pads which seem really good.

cloudnine
    Free Member

This alignment tool really helps with setup
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hayes-pad-rotor-alignment-tool/rp-prod35769?gs=1&gclid=CP2GypOT4cQCFerKtAodricAnQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you dont own one you’ll wonder why not once youve used it..

duntstick
    Free Member

I wonder if it’s the same old, not bedding the pads in properly problem that mountainbikers have got their heads around, but roadies coming from calipers to trp’s, need to figure out.

pete68
    Free Member

Dunstick, I’ve had discs on my mtbs for more than 15 years so I’m used to bedding them in. Anyway I’ve undone the cables and set them up afresh. I’ll see if there’s any improvement. It’s odd that some love them and others hate em.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘spyre brakes, anyone happy with theirs?’ is closed to new replies.