Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • spraying a fence with a small compressor
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got a 25l 1.5hp compressor and a fence that needs treating. Can I do something cunning here or should I just get a big brush.20 square meters per side, two sides.

Cheers

footflaps

Didn’t it come with an airbrush kit? Mine came with a bag of just about every attachment under the sun….

ransos
    Free Member

You’ll need to have a perfectly still day and be a long, long way from any cars. There’s a reason why I know this…

wwaswas

what ransos says – yoou’ll get a lot of atomisation with a normal spray gun and it’ll go everywhere.

Most fence treatments are fairly toxic to plants too so you may kill nearby stuff if it gets too much overspray.

a wide brush and a bucket with the treatment in will probably be quicker in the end, too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Didn’t come with anything. But then it only cost £25.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Brush it is by the sounds of it.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

TBH, 20 sq.m isn’t that big – you might be quicker/cheaper overall doing it with a brush. Plus, you’re compressor volume isn’t massive – I suspect the pump will be running near continuously for any serious spraying rate to make it quicker than a brush (this may not be too much of an issue, again, as the area is reasonably small).

My dad has a very large 3-phase compressor at home and bought a creosote-spaying tool for it to do his fence and shed – used it once, but decided it was too much faff overall. Now either does it by brush or borrows a backpack/hand-pump jobs from a friendly neighbour.

jonba
    Free Member

buy a really big brush.

I do a fair bit of airles and conventional spray at work and it’s only really beneficial for larger areas* as you need to spend so long masking and protecting the bits you want to keep clean. It’s also more hazardous to your health as the atomised paint can be inhaled whereas on a brush it’s only the solvents that will kill you.

I appreciate that conventional spray gives a nice finish too if you are repainting your car etc. but it looks like a faff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘spraying a fence with a small compressor’ is closed to new replies.