Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Sprouts, those little green orbs of division
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Love ’em or hate ’em, they will be appearing on my table on ‘that’ day, but I’m wondering what to do with them this year.
    Usually I par boil them and then finish them off in a wok by adding smoked bacon soaked in sherry, chopped chestnuts and garlic. This is really quite nice, but what do you do with your sprouts? I fancy a change

j_me
    Free Member

Slice them really thinly and do exactly that (but without the sherry, might try that this year)

mogrim

Boil em to death, then serve them with a splat on the plate. Traditional, innit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Send ’em to me, I love ’em

Smokey bacon/lardons are good, also nuts, mind has gone so I forget which, I know its not almonds or peanuts though… will look out the recipe… pine nuts may work

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I’ve got mine on now. Cant bear the thought of underdone sprouts with christmas dinner!

theotherjonv

It’s a yes from me.

Boiled to slightly al dente, drain, chuck in a generous knob of butter and black peppr to taste. Serve with boiled ham. Yum.

M&S used to do a side dish of sprout and chestnut in a rich gravy sort of sauce. Pierce lid and nuke for 3 mins and then just eat, would keep me happy. Not so the wife to be fair. Half brick needed on each corner of the duvet…..

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Chestnuts, thats them, good call theotherjonv.

Slightly al dente stops the farts so make sure they are overcooked when the mother in law comes round, the embarrassment gives double fun 🙂

MSP
    mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Stir fry’em for a couple of minutes.
    Cut in half. Ginger, garlic, sugar, splash of water and some nice tamari. If you live near the sea throw in a handful of dulse (That’s the red flimsy seaweed). Yum.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I love them. Simply cooked or tarted up – always nice.

cranberry
    Free Member

Mmmm, sprouts for lunch today at work:

DUO OF VENISON WITH ROSEMARY
    Sprouts/Chicory/potato tart

All for the princely sum of €3.45

phil.w
    Free Member

cranberry, where the hell do you work?

theotherjonv

more to the point, can i get there in the next hour and have you got any jobs for immediate start?

emsz
    Free Member

LOL I was having this argument with my g/f last night! She loves them I can’t stand them! Theres gonna be a riot at Xmas if she thinks I’m having them anywhere near my food. Same goes for parsnips, yuck

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Parsnips are the work of the devil, but sprouts cooked properly are a joy – the key is not to over cook them

Dibbs
    Free Member

Boiled to slightly al dente, drain, chuck in a generous knob of butter and black peppr to taste. Serve with boiled ham. Yum.

Anything else is just plain wrong! 😉

chvck
    Free Member

In our uni mtb club for the xmas meal we each cook something and then all meet up in the same place. Last year one of our guys cooked the most amazing sprouts I’ve ever had, no idea how he did them though 🙁

maxray
    Free Member

my 3yr old daughters favourite vegetable! “Theyre like tiny mini cabbages daddy”

I like em simple tbh tho lardons would be nice if theres no veggies around for xmas dinner.

cranberry
    Free Member

where the hell do you work?

Not sure I can tell you that, but I can tell you that the venison was every bit as nice as the game brochette was yesterday. 🙂

cranberry
    Free Member

Parsnips are the work of the devil

Stone the blasphemer !

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Once boiled add a knob of butter, a sliced chili and squeeze some orange over, then in the oven for a bit. Tasty.

Bubble and squeak in the mornings too. Tastier.

Bunnyhop

Ours out of the garden have been really yummy this year.

I put one or two into a home made veg soup. Also they’re nice in a stir fry if sliced up finely.

simonjf63
    Free Member

Love em. Just willing the ones on my allotment to be ready for Christmas – not looking too hopeful at the moment, don’t know why they’re struggling, next door plot’s are much better

yossarian
    Free Member

Parsnips are ace!

Sprouts finely sliced, leeks, garlic, chestnuts and peas slow fried in butter with liberal amounts of black pepper and a good splash of Worcester sauce.

Marvellous!

MSP

Why does everyone who loves sprouts smother them with various other flavours.

ahwiles
    Free Member

parsnips!

sprouts!

carrots!

spuds!

turkey… meh.

crimbo is all about the veg for me.

(and cheese with fruitcake)

theotherjonv

MSP: I reiterate my earlier post.

Boil to slightly al dente, drain, chuck in a generous knob of butter and black pepper to taste

This is to sprout law what 32:16 is to singlespeeding.

DaRC_L

Tried some roast brussel sprouts in Oct – very nice indeed. Peel and toss them with salt, black pepper and oil.
    Takes about 40 minutes in a medium oven.
    Every 10 minutes or so turn them to get an even browning.

Although i’m considering use sesame oil for additional flavour.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I used to hate them but since I discovered they make me fart like a steam engine I look forward to their appearance on my plate on xmas day 😈

jools182
    Free Member

they’re like a solid little green farts

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

A fresh as poss, preferably just of the stem thingy that they grow on.

Peel off outer layer and chop off bottom bit, then eat…

…raw.

Has to be done! 🙂

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Sprout fans. See if you can get a hold of sprout tops – the leaves that grow off the top of the plant. Just steam them and season them and they’re good to go.

Obviously these are easy enough to get hold of if you are growing your own sprouts.

My local farmers’ market on the IOW sells them.

They’re magic. Like self-buttering cabbage. Really tender and sweet, and that hint of a sulphurous, farty tang that puts a lot of people off actual sprouts themselves is not quite so evident.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

See Hugh Fearney etc’s recipe in the Times Mag today: creamed with chopped bacon. Little sis did something similar a couple of years ago. Could have eaten a plateful.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I absolutely love them.

However, they taste their best when they are cooked until completely soft. It is only in this state that they release all their lovely sweetness.
    This sweetness is completely missing when they are cooked al dente.

I know this is the opposite of what is often recommended, but trust me it’s the best way.

Yummmmmmmmmmmy!

Kevevs
    Free Member

ohh man! There were actual fights over the last brussel sprouts in asda last year. I am determined to watch these fights this year. I really want to see a punch up over some vegetables!

alexxx
    Free Member

boil – sprouts, potatoes
    fry – streaky bacon + red onion

mash up spuds so there smooth with hefty amounts of salted butter
    add cheese of choice (dont be shy)
    throw in sprouts and mash roughly with a fork
    cut up bacon and mix in *stir the onion in now*

add pepper and serve next to a roast chicken or white fish

mildred

Al dente & drained. Then in a frying pan fry some smoked lardons with same sized pieces of a good quality butchers black pudding (not pre-cut tesco shite), once both slightly crispy, mix with sprouts, salt & fresh black pepper and fat out of pan. Really really good with the black pud.

Bregante

I like them best boiled in slightly salted water until perfectly al-dente, tossed in a little olive oil………

and then straight in the bin. Evil little green balls of vileness.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Sprouts, those little green orbs of division’ is closed to new replies.