• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by bp.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Springy UK hardtail?
  • Fat-boy-fat

Thinking about getting a hardtail to add to my big bike. Looking for something trail worthy (not too XC, not a trials frame) that’s nice and springy/whippy (kind of like my old Diamond Back Ascent from back in the day). Any recommendations? Was thinking a nice skinny steel frame (independent or the like).

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Springy and whippy?

I think Sir should be looking for one of these

If you want something a bit more ‘playful’ then perhaps one of these would be a better bet. I have one built up as a ‘play bike’, its great for hammering the singletrack, can be thrown around with abandon and in all honesty I never have a frown on my face after spending a few hours chucking it about. Its not designed for the long-haul though.

retro83
    Free Member

As above the Prince Albert or maybe if you’re after something a bit tougher what about one of these?

linky

househusband

…something trail worthy (not too XC, not a trials frame) that’s nice and springy/whippy… a nice skinny steel frame…

To me, that shouts Cotic Soul – I’ve had one and can vouch for how springy and whippy it is. Skinny, too. Way more so than the Prince Albert.

ton

Rock lobster 853 from merlin.
    i had one, and it flexed and sprung nicely…….

chakaping
    Free Member

Agree with ton, look at this deal…

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-frames/merlin-and-rock-lobster-frames/rock-lobster-853.html

Not as fashionable as some, but just what you’re asking for.

Keva
    Free Member

seems like a good excuse to post a picture…

springy, whippy, agile, nippy.

Kev

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

DMR’s arent really ‘springy’ or ‘whippy’ at all.

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

Gary Fisher Ferrous 29 or 26″.

Awesome frames with bowed stays for extra springyness. I have one here with a 120mm Revelation on & its the nuts.

J

Northwind

I haven’t tried enough modern bikes to have a fair opinion but the Soul’s always getting comments on its springy/compliant ride, that’s certainly how it feels to me but as I say, not enough to compare it to. Also a nice weight for steel, and a lovely handler. But spendy.

nwill1
    Free Member

I brought a CHARGE BLENDER about 2 months ago….awsome, I used to ride BMX so I wanted something to to chuck about. Fantastic for singletrack, can be jumped and i’ve been to the local downhil corse too. Been on a couple of 4 hour rides too, not perfect for that becase not the best climber in the world but point it downhill and all is forgiven!!

Have a read of this: http://dirtmag.co.uk/news/category/dirt-team/why-i-love-my-bike/dirt-1234705.html

Or http://www.pinkbike.com/news/charge-blender-test-2008.html

househusband

Good recommendation for the Blender; I’d have one in an instant if they made them in regular sizes!

Lionheart
    Free Member

A bike with Soul – another vote here for a Cotic, so much trail fun!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Am I allowed to mention an On-One 456 Summer Edition?

nwill1
    Free Member

I would have been happy with the soul but I paid £200 for the Blender frame brand new from the shop I thin thats less that 1/2 the price of the soul….is it really twice as good!?

bp
    Free Member

It doesn’t have to be steel to be ‘springy’ BTW.

Lots of things make a bike bike feel lively or ‘springy’ – tyre type, tyre pressure, 29er, wall thickness of frame (regardless of material).

I love steel, but only because it looks better, I’ve had Alu frames that give more too.

BP

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Springy UK hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.