Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Springs or Foam? What do you sleep on?
  • huggis
    Free Member

Looking to buy a new mattress – seems to be a dazzling range of choices with memory foam, foam and springs or good old fashioned springs to choose from…. anyone bought a bed recently and have any opinions…..??

loddrik
    Free Member

Springs all the way, buy the best mattress you can afford, you won't regret it!!

bassspine
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hohum
    Free Member

Springs at home, but I have slept on memory foam at the in-laws.

Not sure which I prefer to be honest!

mmb
    Free Member

memory foam top with springs very comfy but not cheap.

davcow
    Free Member

Full memory foam for me.

jon1973
    Free Member

Ours has springs with a think layer of memory foam on top. Was expensive, but worth every penny.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

One of these:

http://www.hypnos.ltd.uk/

Just off there now, in fact.

Sweet dreams.

Cougar

I don't get on with memory foam. Figure, it's fine for the people who lie in the same position all night.

Best advice I can give is, go to loads of showrooms and try them all out. You're making a purchase that you're going to spend a third of your life using, it's worth spending the time lounging around on a few first.

ton

springs topped with memory foam.

and boy is it comfy.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Dried out mouldy remnants of a Chinese, vomit, copy of the Star, few flattened lager cans and various assorted bodily fluids, not all my own. Comfy.

sweepy
    Free Member

I find memory foam way too hot, Got an aerobed for guests but its just so comfortable that I use it all the time now.

U31
    Free Member

The Mrs?

Just a thought! 😀

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Springs

Had a memory foam for a bit but i found it too hot. Plus it was really crap for shagging on – kept on having to use the floor instead to get a bit of purchase instead of sinking in!

jahwomble
    Free Member

Pocket springs with a top layer of memory foam.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

My mates sofa. That, and the bitter memories of the 1984 strike 😛

matthew_h
    Free Member

Pocket sprung, none of this foam stuff.

AlasdairMc

Pocket sprung is definitely the way to go.

DM52
    Free Member

memory foam. ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Plus it was really crap for shagging on – kept on having to use the floor instead to get a bit of purchase instead of sinking in!

I understand there are 'instructional' videos which can be found on the internet which may assist you in developing new techniques to overcome this problem.

I know not where to find such things however.

Springs can sometimes fail suddenly during 'active' use.

fwb2006
    Free Member

Hypnos mattresses all the way.

busydog
    Free Member

We have had springs, air (Select Comfort) and now have a memory foam and it is, from our perspective, the best mattress ever. Not cheap, but ours is 5 years old and not even the slightest sign of an indentation and it really does conform to your body. We do have a sheeps-wool mattress pad which only makes it better. Damn heavy to move around, but you don't really ever need to turn them.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've slept on all but foam-only. Much prefer pocket springs with 75mm mem foam, but boy is it expensive in superking! Currently trying to decide between pocket/foam and all foam.

I thought I moved about a lot in bed but actually found that was only because I was never quite comfy, though I'd have sworn I was, sleeping on a decent mem foam bed I usually wake up in the same position I went to sleep.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Pocket sprung for me. Foam is too warm and just does breath enough. We did a bit of research and found that this idea of a firm mattress being better for your back isn't true if you have a healthy back so we treated ourselves to a soft mattress. Lovely. We've even nicknamed the bed, "the 'mallow".

However, the only issue with such a soft mattress is that it can impact on other activities.

TheWhyteFox
    Free Member

Memory foam…sleep like a log night after night.

petrieboy

Pocket sprung with memory foam topper. Not too hot, no roll together but quite expensive

Luminous
    Free Member

Individually pocketed springs here.

Harrison bed, best 1K I ever spent, HIGHLY recommend.

🙂

L

_tom_
    Free Member

Springs but I prefer foam since you don't get bits poking you.

coffeeking
    Free Member

We did a bit of research and found that this idea of a firm mattress being better for your back isn't true if you have a healthy back so we treated ourselves to a soft mattress.

You don't want a "soft" bed at all, you want a bed that is reactive to localised pressure points and absorbs them so that you effectively float. A soft bed will just sag and absorb you (I hate that feeling of sinking into a soft bed) and a rigid one will make your pointy bits dig in, the ideal bed would cradle you like water, applying even pressure all over. This is what springy/foamy beds attempt to do best.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Broken glass and nettles for me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have trouble getting out of bed in the morning so now I sleep on a bed of nails. Once Ive woken up, its the last place I want to be lying.

I'd recommend one

It also toughens you up, ready for all the **** backstabbers you come across in life.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Futon on a solid base for me. Nice and firm

backhander
    Free Member

http://www.harrisonbeds.co.uk/Home.html

My nan always said "always buy good shoes and a good bed, because if you're not in one you're in the other"

Onzadog
    Free Member

coffeeking, that pretty much describes the pocket sprung bed we got. We conform nicely to it. Feels like none of it is actually masking contact with you.

I have a mate with a water bed. He swears by it.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

+1 for Harrison beds.

They even do mattresses with soft one side for petite Mrs Breathe and a firmer side for lardier me.

avdave2

Nails

huggis
    Free Member

any one have experience of latex!!!

edhornby

any one have experience of latex!!!

yeah, spent a few days on a drip having broad spectrum antibiotics after an infection. hospital beds have a layer of plastic (latex would do the same) and I sweated like crazy despite the numerous layers of bedding on top. gross, I stank of sweat

good quality pocket sprung and rotate them on all planes

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I wriggle A LOT and get VERY HOT. Springs.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

well i have springs at home, but foam in the campervan, i always find i sleep better in the camper but not sure if thats cos i am parked up somewhere nice or if its actually more comfy.

no help here then 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Springs or Foam? What do you sleep on?’ is closed to new replies.