Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • springs
  • danbillam
    Free Member

ive just bought a ccdb for my five and the 550 spring is too soft. I need either a 650 or 700 and im really struggling to get either that fit new or second hand.
    do you know where I can get either a 650 or 700 x 2 inch stroke spring that will fit a 190×50 ccdb?
    closest ive come across is a nukeproof ti spring local to me that’s 700×2.25 its the right id but is a couple of mm too long. will this be a problem?
    cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

Some springs list the shock stroke length, others list the total compressable length. Have you compared the free length of the spring you’re looking at and the one you have?

danbillam
    Free Member

not sure about free length is that the total end to end? if so its a few mm too long so will be preloaded slightly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are you saying the spring is 3mm (for the sake of argument) longer than the distance between the “C” ring and the preload collar at greatest separation?

If so, on a 650 spring you’re looking at around 80 lbs of preload but possibly double that to try and fit the spring.

Also, that 3mm needs to be taken off the compression length of the spring. If it’s a 2.25″ spring with a 2″ stroke shock you’ll be okay with about 3mm to spare.

danbillam
    Free Member

that’s right yeah so should be ok.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Well, with no preload, your 550 spring will need 1100 lbs to bottom out.

With 3mm of preload, your 650 will need (650 x 2 + 80) 1380 lbs.

1 inch on the 550 will need 550
    1 inch on the 650 will need (650 + 80) 730 lbs.

It will “work”. Only you can decide if it will be right.

Have you tried adding preload to your existing spring?

danbillam
    Free Member

yeah at 6 and half turns im still at 40% sag.

danbillam
    Free Member

got the ti nukeproof spring fitted so ill see how it goes.

crofts2007
    Free Member

How did you get on with the spring?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘springs’ is closed to new replies.