• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Springer Spaniel advice needed please.
  • Nomad
    Free Member

Meg, my English Springer is approaching 6yrs old.
    For the last 12 -15 months there have been a few occasions when, on returning from her walk, she stops and stares at my Jack Russell and then goes for him in a big way.
    Can’t see any obvious reason for this but it is getting to be a more frequent occurrence.

Googling suggests “a springer rage syndrome”, but I’m not sure. She’s great in every other respect and both dogs play and get along fine otherwise.

Any suggestions or experience would be gratefully received.

Cheers

N

Rockape63
    Free Member

Hmmm…thats an odd one. was expecting to offer words of wisdom, but other than consult a Vet (which you probably have) its a bit baffling.

Nomad
    Free Member

Vet can’t really shed any light on it other than territorial issue. Meg is in good health and has been neutered.

5thElefant
    Free Member

A friend of mine has a springer with the same problem. Randomly attacks her children. It’s ended up with her parents. Lovely dog 99.9% of the time, and is supposedly a breed trait.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I thought it was Cocker Spaniels who were more prone to rage? From what I’ve, it’s effectively a form of epilepsy – the dog will suddenly become very aggressive and unresponsive to commands, then will suddenly revert back as if nothing’s happened.

Definitely get her checked out by a vet though, it might be that she has a different health condition that’s making her snap.

ThePinkster

Springer rage syndrome is a possibility but unlikely unless she’s attacking other dogs/people/animals unpredictably.

what sex & age is the Jack Russell?
    Have either of them been spayed/neutered?
    Which one did you have first and how long have you had each of them?

could be any number of different reasons but without much background information its hard to say.

Rockape63
    Free Member

time of the month and territorial issue combined? 😯

Springers can be a bit irrational…certainly compared to dogs like labs. My in laws had to have a 2 yr old Springer put down because it would attack other dogs for no obvious reason and they ended up not being able to take it out. It never attacked the other Springer in the house though.

Ive got a lab/springer cross, who I’m pleased to say is the softest, gentlest dog imaginable.

Nomad
    Free Member

Jack Russell is 4 years old. Had him 3 years and both dogs are neutered.
    No issues with other dogs but Meg has only recently ( last 8 months) started barking at people. Before that she never barked.

ThePinkster

I was wondering whether she is feeling somehow threatened by the Jack Russell but if you’ve had him for that long I’d doubt it.

How is her eyesight? If that’s started deteriorating that could be causing anxiety issues with objects she’s unsure of moving around.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

My springer does the same thing to my Staffie (he don’t take any notice mind). In fact he sometimes uses it to his advantage. If he wants to get on the settee he’ll go and stand near her toy, knowing that she’ll go into attack mode. He then jumps up on the settee leaving her standing there feeling a bit silly.

Nomad
    Free Member

Eyesight is good. She’s as fit as can be.

I’m nervous about it occurring with the kids instead of my Jack Russell though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Maybe the JR has had a go at Meg at some time in the past? I can imagine it being a territorial/possession thing – you are her possession and she’s protecting it.
    Does the JR come for a walk at the same time?
    Try putting Meg in another room from the JR after the walk for a while and see if she still goes for him when they get back together.

Our working cocker is the softest mutt ever, but if one of my sisters cockers gets too close to her toy/blanket she’ll growl at them. She gets of great with ALL other dogs – it’s just those two she’s got an issue with.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

We had a chat with a behaviourist about our Welsh Springer recently. She said that dog hierarchies are very fluid and change on a minute by minute basis. Your springer sounds like she’s the boss and is reminding him of the fact. Ours does this to our much older cocker, with lots of noise and dominating.
    The solution we were given is to reinforce your springer’s dominance by giving her everything good first e.g. walks, off the lead, food, petting, and think about other areas where she may perceive the Jack Russell as being favored e.g. being picked up, allowed on furniture. After a long period of calm we have it all happening again as the cocker has medicine and a special food as she’s been ill. It’s not much fun watching the old lady get flattened, but that’s just one of the joys of sharing your life with dogs…

sharkbait
    Free Member

^ this makes sense

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Everyone knows that Springers have mental health problems. We had one which ate the kitchen then a few weeks later committed suicide by jumping off a cliff.

br
    Free Member

Our Working Cocker does the same, 6 y/o too.

We’ve a Working Springer too, but he takes no shit from the Cocker – so it rarely lasts more than a couple of snarls.

I would’ve thought the Jack will stand up for himself.

FWIW The Cocker has been neutered, while the Springer hasn’t.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Springer Spaniel advice needed please.’ is closed to new replies.