Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Spring / Summer tyres
  • m_t_b
    Free Member

I am looking to change my winter tyres as they are dragging a bit in the drier weather. Was considering Kenda Small block 8 1.9 or 2.1 on back and not sure on up front would want something a bit more burly but have read that Kenda 8s are good for up front too. Not used them before so looking for some feedback and any other suggestions for up front.
    I mostly trail centre ride with a few XC routes now and then.

devs
    Free Member

just swapped to Larsen TT on the back and a HR on the front. Loved the combo last year. Would be very similar to a SB8 R and Nevegal F I imagine.

harryparabolics
    Free Member

Have you thought about Maxxis Crossmarks? Similar grip/rollability as SB8s, but probably a bit better on slightly damp and rockier tracks…

Reluctant
    Free Member

Hutchinson Pythons are fast rolling light and have a great floaty feel.
    Maxxis Ignitors are good all rounders for trail centres too.

tinsy
    Free Member

I would think its till a bit inclement for SB8's, a decent allrounder would be a better bet, Bonty Jones, the crossmark as suggested.. do they still have the bargain £10 tyres at on one? Good time for a conti speed king I rekon.

poppa
    Free Member

I doubt very much that Crossmarks are grippier than SB8s on much (if any) terrain, but they will probably be more resistant to sidewall tears.

SB8s are very grippy on hardpack, grippier than a Nevegal, and about as grippy as is possible for fine, loose terrain. When it gets wet they suffer quickly though.

They are my summer choice, but because they seem to behave quite differently to more traditional tread patterns I don't mix them with other tyres.

EDIT: Never ridden the Crossmark(!) so feel free to shoot me down, all based on experience of SB8s plus reviews of Crossmark etc.

hora
    Free Member

Ardent. I cant beleive I've found the Spring/summer Swampthings. Magical.

Im running them front and rear now- even when the rear slides you know why and whats happening.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Still at a loss I may try Ardent up front but not sure what to put on the rear probably am getting a bit ahead of myself weather wise to put kenda 8s on they just look so fast would love to give them a go prob need to move to utah first though….

br
    Free Member

I had put an old Racing Ralph on the rear, and then bought a Nobby Nic to put up front to replace the Mud X. But based upon the rain we'd had I put it on the back. And at the weekend was glad I did…

Last year I ran a Racing Ralph, Crossmark combo – worked well.

My son has SB8's on, and they seem to grip well, and are quite light.

sanct
    Free Member

I'm still contemplating my new season rubber options so went for a store cupboard special. Fire XC on front and Nobby Nic on rear, I have to say it seems to suit the changing weather conditions perfectly….. gets exciting when v wet too 😉 but slides out predictably.

NormalMan

I've got a Maxxis HR on the front (2.35) and a Kenda Karma (2.0) on the rear. Haven't ridden it like that yet so can't comment on the pros/cons though!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Spring / Summer tyres’ is closed to new replies.