Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Spring Skiing – North America
  • rkk01
    Free Member

April skiing in the high European resorts is one of life's real pleasures – most folks have gone home, the sun is out, and there's often big dumps of new powder 😀

Unfortunately, mrs rkk01 wants to spent next years holiday fund (current balance £0 and counting…) on visiting her brother in the States.

I could potentially be persuaded to spend money on flights across the pond provided it included a visit to somewhere more interesting than North Carolina.

So, how long does the N American ski season go on and where would be good to visit towards end of March through to mid April??

Doesn't have to be US, personally I'd prefer Canada anyway 😉

Shandy
    Free Member

Most of the big N America resorts are very good, Banff/Lake Louise is beautiful, Lake Tahoe has some nice skiing and scenery and is convenient for San Francisco. Breck/Vail and Whistler are also very good. The big differences are civilised lift queues, better grooming, brilliant value for money food on the hill including big BBQs in Spring. The off-piste is a bit more regulated and its hard to get ski-in, ski-out accommodation.

Their season is longer than ours but a lot of that is down to the big base, don't go too late or you'll be skiing slush.

rkk01
    Free Member

I'd get told off in "civilised" lift queues 😳

nickjb
    Free Member

A basin aim to keep the runs open until the 4th of July. I went skiing there the last weekend of April and the snow was near perfect. All the other resorts in the area were closed though. My mate said it was to do with conservation rather than snow, can't remember the details. We stayed in Breck which was empty, the hotel had three outdoor jacuzzis which worked out at one each. The rest of Colorado has some pretty interesting stuff, too.

rkk01
    Free Member

Choices, choices…

A Basin looks good – wasn't one I'd previously heard of. Skiing to June, that pretty amazing!!

Always fancied Whistler or Banff / Lake Louise, but I guess the Canadian resorts will just make transfers longer / more of a pain to organise.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Spring Skiing – North America’ is closed to new replies.