• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Spring road rides :)
  • iainc

so who has dusted off the summer lightweight bikes, shed the mudguards, got the shiny stuff out ? 🙂

first proper foray on the new one on Saturday :

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No, I’m still on the nodder bike with discs and guards. Need to get the Flanders trip out the way first, along with new wheels for the summer steed. So it’s a few weeks off yet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Weekend was way too good weatherwise to get the road bike out, been riding on shitty clag for months, sod the tarmac.

Had a stunning ride around Galloway hills and Lochs on Saturday, wicked.

soulwood
    Free Member

That’s the quandry I find. Road riding is best in summer. Mtbing is the very best in summer. MTB is way more fun. No road riding in summer.

iainc

Weekend was way too good weatherwise to get the road bike out, been riding on shitty clag for months, sod the tarmac.

indeed, but road ride on Saturday, this on Sunday, Loch Ardinning, almost dry !

Gary_M
    Free Member

No road riding this weekend as I was at our new country retreat/caravan at kippford, rode round dalbeattie 7 stanes on Sunday morning though as my mountain bike lives there now.

Where is that Iain, I recognise it but can’t figure out where it is, wee road between Eaglesham moor road and a77? On 2nd thoughts looks too high for that road, road above galston maybe?

iainc

^^^^ Gary – it’s just below Ardoch Rig substation at Whitelee, at the beginning of the descent back down towards Auldhouse

Gary_M
    Free Member

ah right, know where you are now Iain. That’s part of a route I do from Killie, follow the road above newmills and darvel that skirts the windfarm, then over the moor home. Lovely ride.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    No, I’m still on the nodder bike with discs and guards. Need to get the Flanders trip out the way first, along with new wheels for the summer steed. So it’s a few weeks off yet.

Exact same situation for me.

iainc

Gary_M – Member
    ah right, know where you are now Iain. That’s part of a route I do from Killie, follow the road above newmills and darvel that skirts the windfarm, then over the moor home. Lovely ride.

yes, lovely quiet roads – I can do it as a 25 mile loop from home, with the only bit of main road being Hairmyres to Jackton. No cars, hunners of bikes on Sat tho….

xc-steve
    Free Member

Recovering from an operation has forced me to stay on the roads indeed enjoyed seeing the Moors starting to wake up from their winter slumber!

BTW you all have me to thank for the dry conditions I’ll know when I’m well enough to ride MTB again as it’ll be the first day of constant rain.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I had the summer road bike out a few times in February! Felt super dicey on 23’s and rim brakes after a winter with a 3.0 tyre on the Rooster, but got used to it eventually.

ransos
    Free Member

BTW you all have me to thank for the dry conditions I’ll know when I’m well enough to ride MTB again as it’ll be the first day of constant rain.

Yes, I note that the fine dry weather has coincided with me being off the bike due to a torn ligament. Gah.

tenfoot

Weekend was way too good weatherwise to get the road bike out, been riding on shitty clag for months, sod the tarmac

+1. Trails are running at the best at the moment. No undergrowth taking over, and a slight dampness to them, giving maximum grip.

My Gnarmac bike can do one, for the minute.

dan45a
    Free Member

Lovely ride over the Bwlch Friday on the summer bike

velomanic
    Free Member

Enjoying the Manx sunshine yesterday 🙂

larrydavid
    Free Member

Winter bike, pannier spec, but a nice day:

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

3-day weekend for me (I’ll be working the upcoming wet bank holiday weekend…) so Saturday was FoD on the big bike, yesterday a local road loop sans mudguards, and today a 35 mile CX explore in the sun on dry fast trails

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Never really had the budget to justify a dedicated winter bike, so use the same one year round. It is a bit demoralising coming into the nice weather knowing bearings and cables need replacing though 🙁

philjunior
    Free Member

I gave the summer XC bike (which does now I think about it still have mudguards on) a shakedown yesterday, and the naked road bike came out the week before!

It is nice to have them out. I still don’t believe you about Loch Ardinning being dry though!

chakaping
    Free Member

Way ahead of you, pic taken a week ago when it was still technically winter…

hjghg5
    Free Member

Riding in gran canaria on my holiday bike (it lives out here and rarely sees rain so is fairly shiny for the mileage it has done)*. 40 miles or so up a big hill and back down again today. More of the same on the cards tomorrow.

*my OH hires and pays about €100-200/per trip, I bought an ex hire bike for about €800 many trips ago. OK I don’t get to ride the latest model and I’m still on 10 speed while he hires 11 speed stuff, but it’s saved me loads of money and isn’t quite as decadent as it sounds to have a bike that lives abroad!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nope, I’ll be riding the winter bike for some time yet. There’s no way I want to ride into work on a bike with no guards for the weather to turn during the day and ride home with a soggy bottom.

I’ll be rocking the guards at Flanders next week too.

TiRed

Commuted to work on the Nice Bike this morning. A little decadent, but I did take a 55km detour to come in 😆 . The race bike has seen action all winter and the Nice Bike has had a few outings including a race. Almost no salt on the roads this year.

scotroutes

I took the Cube out last week (first time since May last year I think) and really enjoyed it. Only 54km, but enough to remind me of the (relatively) effortless speed. I don’t have any road-based events planned this year so I don’t know how often I’ll be incentivised enough to use it.

What bike(s) are you bringing up Iain?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

His Genesis Tarn. 😉

scotroutes

😯 😆

wilburt
    Free Member

Winter bike is now on Zwift duties, Summer bike is suited, booted and ready for business, forever the optimist.

iainc

aye very good nobeer 🙂

What bike(s) are you bringing up Iain?

scotroutes – the weans with their hardtails, I’ll likely bring the Soul but if looking settled and dry then the Anthem

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Spring road rides :)’ is closed to new replies.