Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spraying Roof Bars
  • harrytoo
    Free Member

A colleague has just got some Black Thule Wingbars and they look so much better on a black car than the silver ones.

I have 2 sets of silver ones, one for biking and one for boating duties so can’t afford to replace them.

Has anyone had any success in spraying the bars? how would one go about such an exercise?

breadcrumb

I’ve been tempted to vinyl wrap my bars, at least if they get tatty is easily removed.

Jerm

Powder coating may be an idea as it would be much tougher otherwise a rub down with some scourer, primer and satin black top coat. You may wish to lacquer as well to add a bit of toughness to it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Easy to do a good diy finish.

Impossible to make it tough.

winston
    Free Member

we sell Thule.
    black wingbars look good for about a week
    we try to dissuade customers from buying as the sort of person who cares what colour his/her bars are is the sort of person who doesn’t like silver scratches all over the black anno.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Vinyl wrap….. might be a good idea….

kormoran
    Free Member

did mine with an old inner tube, cut it once then slid it on wet like a condom 🙂

Looks the business, won’t scratch

theblackmount
    Free Member

Any commercial PPC would do them for you. However, chances are they’d clog up the t slot which is fiddly enough at the best of times. Stove enamelling would be less likely to do this if sprayed carefully. Anodising is your best shot but I’m not sure if the factory finish on the silver bars would be suitable for re anodising. I’d just sell a silver pair and buy new. They don’t actually scratch that easily in my view – I’ve had mine sat on the roof for 130k / 3 years and use them a lot. They look fine to me.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Spraying Roof Bars’ is closed to new replies.