Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Spray Painting Furniture – HVLP or Proper Compressor
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

As title – wife wants (me most likely) to spray various pieces of furtniture. Probably with Farrow & Ball or similar posh paint. Do I just get a HVLP sprayer or would I get better/easier results with a proper compressor and spray gun.

I’ve always thought I need a compressor – I’ve just never needed one for a specific project?

Cost is a factor so I’d likely be looking second hand for a compressor.

Any tips?

maccruiskeen

With a spray gun you need a girt big f-off compressor – 3hp, 150ltrs as a minimum – about £500 odd quids worth at least, plus the gun. A decent turbine and HVLP gun will cost less (I payed about £300 for mine – an Apollo 1500) and fit in a cupboard rather than a shed. HVLP also get more paint where you aim it and less floating around and getting into and onto everything else.

You could use a compressor for a handful of other things, but all those other things could be done with something cheap and portable from aldi

kayak23

Just go in the shed, make hissing noises and use a brush. I doubt she’ll twig…
    🙂

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

So the £60 HVLP in B&Q et al. aren’t going to cut it?

maccruiskeen

So the £60 HVLP in B&Q et al. aren’t going to cut it?

If the one I used was anything to go by you’d be as well sucking the paint up with a straw three rolled up £20 notes and spitting it at the wall]

If its a one off – just hire a good-un or look at good aerosol paints – things like pre-catalysed paint in aerosol form is very hardwearing for furniture

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Spray Painting Furniture – HVLP or Proper Compressor’ is closed to new replies.