Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • BBC SPOTY nominees
  • birky
    Free Member

Mo Farah
    Andy Murray
    Sarah Storey
    Katherine Grainger
    Sir Chris Hoy
    Rory McIlroy
    Nicola Adams
    David Weir
    Bradley Wiggins
    Ben Ainslie
    Ellie Simmonds
    Jessica Ennis

3 cyclists 🙂

maccruiskeen

I have to say its been such a remarkable year it seems arbitrary even to have a shortlist never mind choose one winner.

mattsccm
    Free Member

It will be Farah. Popular vote with no account of significance. Ennis 1 gold, pah. Nice a*** though. Murray, long time nearly man, why him? Granger, McIlroy, Adams, Weir no idea who they are. Simmonds, the sympathy vote.
    For significance Wiggins as 2 golds are common.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    beckykirk43
    Free Member

Glad you’ve posted that because people have been talking about it but I have so far been too lazy to google it and find the list!

It’ll be a tough call, there’s a few on the list who, whilst have achieved things greater than most of us ever will, just aren’t well known and popular enough to win – but plenty that are!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Has to be wiggo.

Everyone knows tdf , wiggins is a household name these days and its not for winning the olympic tt;)

pingu66
    Free Member

Oooh its a tough year.

I think most of the above would normally have a great chance but this year the standards are so high.

hammerite
    Free Member

Ennis is in there because she needs to be good at 7 T&F events to win. Using the same logic, shouldn’t Laura Trott get a nomination?

pingu66
    Free Member

I thinks its between Wiggins and Ennis

Bear
    Free Member

The expectation factor that Ennis had to carry made her gold a great achievement.

Same could be said of Wiggins after the TDF, but ennis was the face of the games.

Farah has achieved a feat no other middle distance runner had.

Others have longevity in their events.

And the Paralympians have to deal with so much just to compete let alone be world class.

Murray a gold and a grand slam is awesome, and he came across well at Wimbledon.

All of them have a story and deserve to win, such a great year for sport and British sport. I would begrudge no one on that list if that win it they all deserve it.

Obviously we all have our own favourites.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I think having 3 cyclists in there means they won’t win it will ssplit the cycling vote a bit like last year (I Hinkle) 3 golfers but Cav won. I see Victoria P’s husband has been moaning that she hasn’t been nominated probably as they couldn’t put up with her whining and crying when she came 10th. I say Mo Farah too. that is who I will vote for despite loving Jess, Sarah Storey etc.

Wookster

How/ when do we vote?? Wiggins for me I think.

allthepies
    Free Member
    PrinceJohn

My top 3…

3. Andy Murray
    2. Mo Farah
    1. Bradley Wiggins.

Think it’ll be close between 1 & 2 unless you’re a daily fail reader who thinks mo should be deported back to Somalia…

spawnofyorkshire

that’s the first spoty list i’ve seen where if anyone of them won i’d be happy. All are great athletes and all did something deserving of the prize.

Bunnyhop

Its a tough one.
    Going to vote for Wiggins myself, however I wouldn’t mind if Bed Ainslie won.

allthepies
    Free Member

Freudian slip ? 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Threes cyclists though may mean the cycling vote is split between them as with last year and the golfing nominees.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Does the personality bit come into it at any point? wiggo certainly has one but some of those on the list don’t.

shouldn’t it be sports person of the year if it’s just about their achievements?

M6TTF
    Free Member

I reckon it’s bradley or mo

convert

I think Wiggins should have won in this epic year – TDF, Olympic Hero and a top personality too. Sadly I think the whole Lance Armstrong scandal has degraded or sullied road cycling and the TdF as an honourable achievement in the public’s eye.

nealglover
    Free Member

Wiggins for my vote – TDF and Olympic Gold so close together was awesome.
    Mo Farah would be my second place vote.
    Rory McIlroy third.

It will be Farah. Popular vote with no account of significance. Ennis 1 gold, pah. Nice a*** though. Murray, long time nearly man, why him? Granger, McIlroy, Adams, Weir no idea who they are. Simmonds, the sympathy vote.
    For significance Wiggins as 2 golds are common.

Not sure I understand most of that 😉

meehaja
    Free Member

The thing that people forget is “sports PERSONALITY of the year”.

Murray doesn’t have one,
    Ennis seems nice, but tell me something else about her?
    Farrah seem’s like a decent chap but again, what else does he do/say?
    Hoy, again, great guy, but not really doing it for me.
    Wiggins, he called journalists a bunch of offensive ladyparts, that alone is worthy of a duff BBC trophy surly?

convert

meehaja- Lineker was on the one show talking about it. His line is the title “Sporting Personality” is historic but basically having a personality might motivate you to vote but it should be about the achievement.

But agree, Wiggins does have the personality of the list by a country mile.

spawnofyorkshire

wiggins has a strong, but divisive personality that doesn’t endear him to everyone.
    Between me and my buddies it’s 50/50 whether or not we actually like wiggo. The thing we all agree on is how amazing he rode this year

hammerite
    Free Member

Here’s some personality for you

We’re going to start drawing the raffle numbers now

barkm
    Free Member

bit of a myth that it is anything to do with ‘personality’, it’s just the name of the award (since 99). It’s; “Awarded to the sportsperson whose actions have most captured the public’s imagination”

For that reason I’m going for Mo. I think the Armstrong thing has torpedoed chances for brad, sadly. Too much of a risk for the beeb who are obviously extremely risk averse currently. As far as capturing the imagination goes, probably Mo, or a good few of the others.

Would be very happy to be wrong though.

mboy
    Free Member

Suitable as they all are to win it, in what has been an exceptional year for sport… There’s only 1 name in that list of 10 that TV companies have made programmes on, who sells Newspapers when he’s on the front page, who genuinely is so anti-celebrity that I think the public really relate well with his dour demeanour, and who has done something so far above and beyond what everyone else in the list has achieved that no other Brit has ever done!

Only a fool would bet against Brad, even if he doesn’t want the award he’s pretty much a shoo in to get it!

nealglover
    Free Member

I think the Armstrong thing has torpedoed chances for brad, sadly. Too much of a risk for the beeb who are obviously extremely risk averse currently

Are you suggesting that the beeb won’t let him win, regardless of the public vote results ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I can’t imagine Brad gives a monkey’s … either way.

molgrips
    Free Member

I reckon it’s Mo or Wiggo, they are both big personalities.

Ennis possibly for the achievement and Wier for the para sympathy vote.

djglover
    Free Member

Wiggins is the bookies favourite at the moment

john_drummer
    Free Member

FWIW Nicola Adams won the first ever women’s olympic boxing gold. And she has a grin that goes from ear to ear – twice round 🙂

David Weir yes but no Hannah Cockroft? bags of personality

nealglover
    Free Member

Why does a vote for a Paralympian have to be seen as a “sympathy vote” 🙄

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Wier for the para sympathy vote? Yea, not like he did anything this year, over a huge range of distances…

Klunk
    Free Member

please not farah, if i see that stupid infantile mobot one more time i’ll smash the telly. Is he auditioning for a presenter job on cbeebies ?

spacemonkey

1. Bradders
    2. Mo
    3. Jess

As much as some of the others are equally deserving of a top 3 spot, I can’t see people voting beyond Brad’s sudden public acclaim and THAT Super Saturday. The Weirwolf deserves top 3 IMO simple because of the range of his performances.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why does a vote for a Paralympian have to be seen as a “sympathy vote”

I think you mis-understand.

I don’t think the paras are any different from any other athlete. What I meant was that the general public may think that they deserve a sympathy vote.

As for Wier’s range of distances – I’m hugely impressed and it’s clearly a tremendous achievement, but I have no idea how much of one. I don’t know how compatible different distances are in wheelchair racing vs running. After all it’d be flat out impossible to do the same thing in running, surely?

nealglover
    Free Member

..I think you mis-understand.

Yes, probably.

Its just that the two mentions of paralympians in the thread so far have come with what a “sympathy vote” disclaimer

yours and mattsccm’s

Maybe I’m a bit quick to jump on it, but it does wind me up.

(But fair enough, if I misread what you were meaning then I apologise)

molgrips
    Free Member

I see the paralympians as the same as any other athlete. Which of course makes them something to be admired and respected. The sentimental ‘overcoming adversity’ bit gets on my nerves a bit.

Ellie Simmonds said she didn’t consider herself disabled, just short.

nealglover
    Free Member

I would have to agree on the over sentimentality that is often attached.

Not needed at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘BBC SPOTY nominees’ is closed to new replies.