Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • SPOTY – Martyn Ashton
  • stanfree
    Free Member

My son just showed me a pick of Martyn and a wee dug that had obviously lost its legs. Now im knida half pished but has anyone ever considered nominating Martyn for a SPOTY.? Surely his tale and bravery deserves some kind of nationwide recognition to inspire others. ?
    If Im talk drunken nnsence please reply , Get to bed….. 😉

sparksmcguff

Totally, I’d vote for that. Rachel Atherton too. But they’re just not in the mainstream medias consciousness and so aren’t promoted to the public.

mikey74
    Free Member

Also, with all due respect to Martyn, who is undoubtably a hero, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of similar stories strewn throughout the Paralympics, which is much more in the public consciousness, and no less deserving.

nedrapier

I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more than Martyn Ashton. His positive attitude to bikes, his career, his injury and everything that’s followed is a genuine inspiration. He always has been since I first saw him in the old MBUK vids (personality doesn’t come across as well in print!)

Edit: he’d be my pick, anyway – as mikey says, there will be others I won’t have heard of, just as many won’t have heard of Ashton.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What Martyn did through his riding career was amazing and his attitude since his accident is inspirational.

Being harsh he is not a sportsperson as such and never was. I think if he focuses on charity fundraising and showing other disabled people what you can achieve then I could see him winning an MBE or similar,

nedrapier

never was

Not harsh, just inaccurate. Unless you want to propose a special definition of sportsperson?

rOcKeTdOg

Sadly if you haven’t won a gold medal & a mainstream competition (wimbledon for example) you don’t have a chance

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

SPOTY is irrelevant, why anyone gets angry/annoyed/excited about it is bemusing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

SPOTY is irrelevant, why anyone gets angry/annoyed/excited about it is bemusing.

I think a lot of the unsing hero’s feel a lot of positivity for being recognised
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/sports-personality
    I think Manon Carpenter was really happy to be nominated for one of the Welsh ones and plenty of others. Some of the people from the less main stream seem to really appriciate it too. Maybe with the BBC heading off to interview Rachel Atherton she might get a look in which would be awesome to see more main stream recocnition of some very hard working athletes

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

just showed me a pick of Martyn and a wee dug that had obviously lost its legs. Now im knida half pished

I hope you didn’t give Shug a special hug.

MoreCashThanDash

You don’t nominate someone for it. A panel of “experts” draws up the shortlist and the public then vote.

Would be great for Rachel to be on that shortlist though. She’d never win, but the exposure would be terrific for her and that side of the sport.

kerley
    Free Member

You can’t really be SPOTY if 99.99% of people have never heard of you though can you.

matts
    Free Member

I dunno. Andy Murray has won it twice without a personality…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No but what they can do is make an impact and inform the general public. Red Bull’s coverage is putting stuff up there for people. Gee Atherton was on Danny Bakers Red Sauce/Brown Sauce game. Rachel was on BBC Breakfast last week. Martyn Ashtons Road Bike party was getting social medial shares outside of bike people, Danny MAc’s Skye and C4 vids along with his imaginate one got wider coverage.
    A slot on SPOTY with Marty/Steve Peat/Rachel showcasing their stuff for 5 mins would be wonderful.
    A few years back local news were turning up to the DH nationals etc. Ft William world cup has massive attendances for a one off event and much more.

aracer
    Free Member

Bingo!

jimdubleyou
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Not harsh, just inaccurate. Unless you want to propose a special definition of sportsperson?

I am using the BBC’s interpretation. He was not a sportsman in their sense and certainly isn’t now in their sense. Same as Danny Mac, outstandingly talented rider but not a sportsperson in the BBC’s SPOTY sense. Rachel is.

aracer
    Free Member

He was a sportsperson in the same sense that a ballet dancer is a sportsperson 😈

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He was not a sportsman in their sense and certainly isn’t now in their sense.

We talking about the same guy? If gymnastics, synchronised swimming and much more get in then Trials does.

Martyn Ashton (born 2 December 1974)[1] is a former British and World Champion[2] mountain bike trials rider, stunt rider and team manager. He had been riding professional trials since 1993[3] and is often described as a mountain biking legend.[4][5] He has been credited with turning trials from a niche form of riding into the sport it is today.[6] Ashton was paralysed in an accident in 2013, during a bike trials demo at the British Moto GP.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyn_Ashton
    http://www.uci.ch/trials/

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Wasnt shauna coxsey nominated for SPOTY last year (Or the year before, i forget)for bouldering. Shows that the less popular sports can get nominated. Dont really think Ashton is an appropriate vote but i definately see the case for Rachel Atherton.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘SPOTY – Martyn Ashton’ is closed to new replies.