• This topic has 71 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Spoty
  • stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Just seen the list for sports personality of the year. Its all a bit meh with no one standing out for me?

Froome and Hamilton were certainly top of thier game but they have all done it before ( well maybe Froome winning the vuelta stands out a bit)

Any thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/42078693

nickjb
    Free Member

I thought the same when the international list came out last week. Only stand out on that for me was Roger Federer, and again he’s been there and done that all before. Maybe its not been much of a year for sport. Struggling to recall much from the year that was good.

wiganer
    Free Member

Cant see past Jonny Rea tbh. Three world titles on the bounce, what more does he have to do? If he were in a sport more beloved by the snooty press (tennis, F1, horse dancing) he’d be knighted.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whitestone
    Free Member

Looks like a list to shoehorn Mo Farah into top spot.

muggomagic

I’d say AJ would be a pretty good bet. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Mo, AJ and Hamilton take the top 3. Not sure in what order though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Well it’s got you talking so the pointless programme is doing something right

muggomagic

I have to say, I don’t care so much about who wins, but I quite like watching the program and the review of the year.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think it’s a pretty good list: However, there are 4 standout names on it:

Farah
    Froome
    Hamilton
    Joshua

Personally, I think Farah is the comfortable favourite (not my choice, I might add) and I would be shocked if he doesn’t win the main prize.

mudshark
    Free Member

Farah hasn’t won it and he’s peaked so it’s his time. Froome will hopefully do well again next year but if he never wins this award it’ll be a shame really – but I’m sure he’ll cope….

salad_dodger

Anyone but drug cheat Farah please.

mike_p
    Free Member

Still no love for Adam Peaty? The guy is a phenomenon.

Him or Froomey for me.

Rockape63
    Free Member

sorry….for some reason I glanced at SPOTY and thought is said spotify! Anyway, Ive got more posts than you! 😛

scotroutes

I’m only posting on this thread to bump it above the other one.

fifeandy
    Free Member

And now he doesn’t even have more posts

scotroutes

Farah, probably.
    Though it should be Peaty.

Rockape63
    Free Member

FFS….they deleted my thread! 😥

DezB
    Free Member

AJ, cos that’s the only sport I watch out of the list.
    And he’s got a nice “personality” (every year someone: [whiny-8-year-old]”It should be called Sports Person cos none of them have personalities”[/whiny-8-year-old]

Rockape63
    Free Member

Anyway, my opening post suggested AJ, Lewis, Peaty 1,2,3 and it seems the bookies have made AJ firm fave.

Painey
    Free Member

I generally really love the programme. Some years it’s been better than others but when done well it’s a great round up of the sporting year with a poignant moment for those that have left us.

I’m a bit biased towards Froome but don’t expect him to win. This is in no way helped by the BBC adding, without fail “Kenyan born” before they mention his name. The best he can hope for is to get 3rd place and I don’t expect he’ll even do that well. Not that I think he cares.

Rockape63
    Free Member

none of them have personalities….

Every year we have this and every year it has to be explained that its not about the fact that they have to have a fun/interesting ‘personality’….its another, more old fashioned word for ‘celebrity’.

ransos
    Free Member

This is in no way helped by the BBC adding, without fail “Kenyan born” before they mention his name

There’s an award for “best foreigner” isn’t there? He should be a dead cert.

Rockape63
    Free Member

There’s an award for “best foreigner” isn’t there? He should be a dead cert.

Hold on…wasn’t Mo born in Somalia and moved to England aged 8?

ransos
    Free Member

Hold on…wasn’t Mo born in Somalia and moved to England aged 8?

Oh well. Froome’s screwed, then.

Rockape63
    Free Member

….and then there’s Johanna Konta! 😕

MSP

Mo born in Somalia and moved to England aged 8?

Mo counts himself as British having been brought up here, Froome considers himself Kenyan and has been quite open in the past that he is flying under a flag of convenience.

I don’t see how field and track athletes or swimmers could win in a non Olympic year unless they smashed the WR. Kane and Konta need to win a major trophy first. So for me its between Rea, Joshua, Froome and Hamilton (Peaty perhaps in with a shout as he has improved the WR)

prawny

Agree with Wiganer, Johnny Rea should win but won’t. Not famous enough, and WSBK has been suffering a bit over the last couple of years, it just doesn’t have the spark it had a few years ago when the Troys, Haga and Max Biaggi were taking chunks out of each other.

Although that could be because I was fairly new to it all back then

DezB
    Free Member

Every year we have this

Isn’t that what I said?

Caher

Ok again, Adam Peaty; and the team award to the England women’s football team. Or maybe the under 17 for winning the word cup.

ads678

I don’t see how field and track athletes or swimmers could win in a non Olympic year unless they smashed the WR

So Adam Peaty then? He should be up there.

I’m not a Froome fan but I think it’s about time he got the award. It’ll probably go to Farah though. Which would be fair enough IMO.

Don’t know why Kane is on the list.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Every year we have this

Isn’t that what I said?

Yeah, sorry….My scanning isn’t working well today! 🙁

dragon
    Free Member

It’s a pretty uninspiring list, one of Hamilton, Kane or Froome for me, as all performed consistently at a high level throughout the year.

Team of the year, I’d go with the British & Irish Lions.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My top 3
    Peaty
    Farah
    Christie

Bunnyhop

Gabby Logan made a blunder last night on the One Show.
    Announcing that Froome had won the Tour de France 4 times and the Valetta once.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Boring show with boring pre-amble.
    The only really interesting bit is the community service awards and those that get recognised for outstanding achievement. Having a handful of professionals parade in front of a goo of an audience is tantamount to a Ms World contest voted on by Mr & Mrs M&S brought to you by pre-packed meat and veg.

All the votes we have/make/care for are worthless in comparison to the already scripted show.

Peaty should win obviously, but he won’t. it’ll be MoBot.

Quite why we need to see yet another heart shaped image adorn the screen is well beyond comprehension.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy the “show”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Used to be a highlight of the year until lack of beeb sport made it an embarrassment for Auntie

Surprised we haven’t had a what no MTBer yet 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

My SPOTY shortlist is:

Alex Thomson

Zara Davies

Mark Beaumont

TheDoctor
    Free Member

salad_dodger – Member

Anyone but drug cheat Farah froome please.

Fixed it for you!

stavromuller
    Free Member

Yorkshire has it’s own candidate for “Unsung Hero”, it would be well deserved if she wins.
    Spoty unsung hero

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Spoty’ is closed to new replies.