• This topic has 82 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • SPOTY
  • cumberlanddan
    Free Member

What the point in that then?

Never understood it. Its not a sporting event, it just seems to be a review of the year with a big trophy given to someone who doesn’t need another because they’ve already won something or other in their own sport.

People seem to care though. Anyone care to explain?

scaredypants

BBC advertisng their (dwindling) sports coverage and presumably making a bit of cash on the voting

meh

mrblobby
    Free Member

Entertainment. I quite enjoy it as a sporting review of the year.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I’ve never understood it.

Do we want our winners to win or to be likable with a “personality” or both.

Wiggo had both, but I can’t think of any on the list this year who I’d say has a personality, great sports people yes.

steveoath
    Free Member

Personality never really comes into it though.

aracer
    Free Member

Title of award is commonly misinterpreted. More than one meaning to personality.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Aracer is correct.

It is nothing to do with the personality of the sportsmen, it’s that they are personalities ie “a famous, notable, or prominent person; celebrity”

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It’s just another BBC cash spunk of self gratification

mrblobby
    Free Member

Find it amusing also that people seem to think that sportspeople don’t have personalities just because one doesn’t come across when they have a TV camera shoved in their faces for post race/match interviews.

Also reckon it’s a good thing that we can set aside a couple of hours of prime time TV to celebrate this country’s sporting achievements.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s just another BBC cash spunk of self gratification

How can it be self-gratification when the BBC barely covers a fraction of the sports they cover on the program? The only purpose of that nature it may serve is to remind the world, and sports governing bodies, more accurately, that the BBC has a long tradition of sport coverage and can do it if given the chance.

I quite enjoy it, but as said above, people misunderstand the “personality” side of it.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I enjoy it as a review of the year.

Don’t like it? Don’t watch it. Easy

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

It just seems like a sycophantic parade of fairly dull people whenever I’ve managed to watch more than five minutes. Fair enough they’ve all done well in their sports but the programme doesn’t seem to reveal much else.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Double post!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Mikey, because the bias is toward athletes in sports the bbc cover, plus it’s just another excuse for a free fancy dinner for the spongers organising and vaguely involved in organising things

ac282

Who’s missing then?

ctk
    Free Member

BBC Sports Person of the Year 2016.

Why not?

CheesybeanZ

How bad is the tyson fury introduction/interview going to be – the beeb must be very nervous what the **** going to say .

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Whatever

Max Whitlock

Come on when we were growing up there was no blooming chance of getting in a final let alone a GOLD medal

Oh and of course it has nothing to do with my kids training in the same gym…. Has a cracking lad BTW, gives loads of time to the young uns

the-muffin-man

Has Clare Balding raided her grans wardrobe!

Spin
    Free Member

How bad is the tyson fury introduction/interview going to be

There was booing when his name was called out. Think I’m going to keep watching just to see how that pans out!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Lewis needs to sack the stylist, looks like Kung Lau off of Mortal Kombat

mikey74
    Free Member

Mikey, because the bias is toward athletes in sports the bbc cover,

Of course that would be the case as they are the sports they have the footage for and greater access to the athletes.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Not entirely sure while they’re getting famous non-sporting people on

binners

What’s Lewis come as?

mikey74
    Free Member

Jess is looking nice tonight 8)

martinhutch

Jess is looking nice tonight

Are you saying she slaps up good? 😯

theotherjonv

they should get that young lad on at the same time as Tyson Fury and ask him if he has any opinions on disability.

{edit} did Lizzie just say ‘money shot’ live on BBC TV?

Andy_K

That’s nothing, there was a “glory hole” on countryfile earlier…

beagle
    Free Member

Fury made Gary work for that question eh?!! Somewhat awkward! Ennis Hill brought into camera shot a few times too.

theotherjonv

Fair play. Bit of an Edinburgh defence, but also an apology. I can ‘admire’ a bloke’s sporting ability without liking them as a personality.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

will his prize be a personality

rOcKeTdOg

Murray? Irony in action there

jambalaya
    Free Member

I always try and catch it, its a fun review of the year. Good to see sportspeople in normal clothes, aside from Lewis of course.

convert

Murray? Irony in action there

Only for those without access to a dictionary.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Good that Kevin sinfield got second. A true, all time legend of the game.

Coyote
    Free Member

Agreed lemony. Wigan Warriors fan here but glad to see some recognition for one of our own.

konabunny
    Free Member

irony: A state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/irony

DezB
    Free Member

It’s about recognising and celebrating the achievements of sports people (or, indeed, Personalities) from the past year. Pretty bloody obvious really.
    That’s not a good thing then?
    How about don’t watch it then. Simple eh.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If it’s about achievement then it’s Sports Achievement of the Year. But they’ve already got trophies for their achievements.

Personality of the year means they have a likeable personality and are a top roll model, but achievement may mean nothing.

SPOTY is neither. It’s, I don’t know what, other than bollocks.

Personally I’d want to see it being about contributions to the world of sports which goes beyond just winning stuff, but what they have done for sort, for future generations, progressing the sport. Jimmy Hill who sadly died the other day is such a person. Tyson prat face is not and is an arrogant homophobic, racist and sexist “personality”. Neither is miserable Murray.

Thing is though, we already have awards for this, including the honours system, although some people do get honoured for just winning.

convert

Personality of the year means they have a likeable personality and are a top roll model, but achievement may mean nothing.

Go look at a dictionary – then when you understand all the meanings of the word ‘personality’, come back and have another go.

then it’s Sports Achievement of the Year

Bloody wish they had. It would have given all the mouth breathers less to get confused about. Every. Bloody. Year.

Personally I’d want to see it being about contributions to the world of sports which goes beyond just winning stuff, but what they have done for sort, for future generations, progressing the sport. Jimmy Hill who sadly dies the other day is such a person.

So sort of like the life time achievement award and the unsung hero of the year award?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘SPOTY’ is closed to new replies.