Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • SPOTY
  • scotroutes

Not even a contest this year?

Kryton57

I’ll do the honours shall i?

Ben Ainslie – Sailing
    Ian Bell – Cricket
    Hannah Cockroft – Wheelchair athletics
    Mo Farah – Athletics
    Chris Froome – Cycling
    Leigh Halfpenny – Rugby Union
    AP McCoy – Horse Racing
    Andy Murray – Tennis
    Christine Ohuruogu – Athletics
    Justin Rose – Golf

tiggs121
    Free Member

Really?

Who’s likely to be favourite? Murray or Ainslie?

ratherbeintobago

How has Ohuruogu* managed to get nominated, exactly? Get banned for missing drugs tests then threaten to change nationality if the ban isn’t overturned. Admirable behaviour all round.

Farah has to win, surely?

eskay

Surely not a jock 😀

tiggs121
    Free Member

Oops – forgot about Froome – he must have a chance?

Houns

It’ll be the grumpy scotch jock bloke

ratherbeintobago

Oops – forgot about Froome – he must have a chance?

Sports Personailty of the Year?

robbo
    Free Member

Got to be Andy Murray after all the tears

Kryton57

The bold on my list is not an accident….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What a terrible list.

Who is going to go past Ian Bell? I mean really. Shoe in for the Warwickshire man.

househusband

Michelle Jenneke FTW.

Gets my vote anyways.

MSP

How has Ohuruogu* managed to get nominated, exactly?

Not a great year for female sporting success, there have been no stand out british female performances this year that I can think of, but they have to put a woman or two on the list.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not a great year for female sporting success, there have been no stand out british female performances this year that I can think of, but they have to put a woman or two on the list.

Shame they couldn’t squeeze Rachel Atherton in there, winning the World Cup and World Champs is pretty good going. Though admittedly not exactly mainstream.

allthepies
    Free Member

Murray will win it, easily.

PrinceJohn

What has Mo done this year? Genuine question- honestly can’t remember!

Murray will win – always hard from a track & field athlete to win in a non Olympic year.

Blackhound

Murray will win I reckon. How many years is it since an Englishman wn Wimbledon?

Christine Ohuruogu should be in top 3. She had an incredible win at the World Champs yet again proving how she can peak for the main championships. Really admire her her achievements, rarely the quickest during the season but has the mentality to put in a great performance when it matters.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Shame they couldn’t squeeze Rachel Atherton in there, winning the World Cup and World Champs is pretty good going. Though admittedly not exactly mainstream.

No less mainstream than Eventing and Zara Phillips managed to win! Personality? or do we always give it to someone from the Royal Family when possible?

It clearly has nothing to do with “personality” – eg when Princess Anne won it George Best was 2nd! No comparison with regards to personality or talent!

I hope that “Englishman” does win it.

IHN

Mo did the 5k and 10k double at the worlds this year IIRC

Murray will win. I’ll vote Froome of course

Edric64
    Free Member

Would be nice if Hannah Cockroft won she is a good athelete and it would be nice to see a para athelete rewarded with a mainstream trophy

unknown
    Free Member

How many years is it since an Englishman wn Wimbledon?

70-something, but then you knew that didn’t you 🙄

pondo

Murray, McCoy, or Mo, I reckon. Ainslie’s got an outside shot but I think Froome’s gonna be a victim of cycling having won the last couple of years. 🙁

Pigface
    Free Member

1/2p should win it, but wont unless the whole of Wales get behind him.

grizedaleforest

AP McCoy (from Wikiped) – “McCoy has broken or dislocated almost every bone in his body (some of them multiple times), including middle and lower vertebrae, both shoulder blades, ribs, an ankle, cheekbones, a wrist, a leg, collar bone, fingers and teeth.”

Should get the award (again) just for plain being hard.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Andy Murray will win it, because in the majoritys eyes Tennis is drug free sport, wheras Cycling and Athletics has the Microscope on them big time.

To me however, i think Tennis will be exposed. Its just a matter of time.Prepare to be shocked.

trail_rat
    Free Member

froome – whos he.

he suffers from not being a household name – 3 weeks after the TDF he was forgotten. Ask anyone whos not a cyclist to name a british cyclist and youll get back cav and wiggo mostly followed by “that guy who used bits of a washing machine”

i wont be voting this year but ill be surprised if murray doesnt win it

MSP

A year after the London Olympics, I don’t think there has been any sporting spectacle that has captured the public imagination beyond those who are already fans of their respective sports. Which means the winner will come from a sport spoon fed to the audience by the BBC, ie tennis, and in particular Wimbledon.

International sportsman of the year might be more interesting, do the public get a vote in that? How many times will I be able to vote for Marquez in the next month.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Would love it to be 1/2p, but I fear the miserable millionaire will win it. Not that he doesn’t deserve it, given his little win!

martinhutch

Sports Personailty of the Year?

He’s allowed himself to be talked into all sorts of colourful antics this year.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHA5gFgSjys[/video]

Edit: Slightly unfortunate still shot chosen by Youtube there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This Man and this man alone:

edlong
    Free Member

Surely it’s a non-event this year – there’s no chance whatsoever that anyone other than Andy Murray’s getting it after winning Wimbledon?

fogliettaz
    Free Member

This is who I’ll be voting for, Ben has been the most consistent UK sportsman during the last 20 years.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

+1

But Murray will win it.

DM52
    Free Member

If it is consistency you are looking for AP McCoy has everyone beat, champion jockey on 18 consecutive occasions, leading the standings for his 19th and has 4000 wins under his belt.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Christine Ohuruogu should be in top 3. She had an incredible win at the World Champs yet again proving how she can peak for the main championships. Really admire her her achievements, rarely the quickest during the season but has the mentality to put in a great performance when it matters

people who have doping violations should never be on the list

she probably imagines she’s late for her ADAM’s hour when she wants to turn it on

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘SPOTY’ is closed to new replies.