Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spotty botty [Thankfully no pictures content]
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

0K, so, following my long tour a few years ago I seem to have developed 2 or 3 ?ingrown? hairs or similar that leave me with hard lumps in the skin where saddles rest.

After a lot of riding, they tend to flare up and become boils or similar and generally hurt like hell if I ride on them again till they go down.

Some of them have been there about 5 years, on an off.

Ouch.

We all know a [good] saddle rests on your sit bones, and that means pretty much in my arse-craic, certainly when standing. I have resisted going to doctor because I don’t know if they can be removed, and I was hoping they’d go away by themselves. A few of them maybe, but some just keep coming back.

I was even hoping, sorta, they’d get so inflamed they’d burst, but this has never happened and the cause must still be in the skin.

Do I:

a) Go see a man/woman I’ve never met before and touch my toes?
    b) Break out the clove oil/alternative [suggestions please], sterilise a needle and MTFU
    c) Other

?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Reminds me of an episode of embarrassing bodies, which leads me to say doctors, definitely….

Pigface
    Free Member

Leave your dignity at the door and go and see the Doc.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Recurring boils? Doctors.

jekkyl

go and see your doc, you don’t have to pay or nuffin, he’ll get to the bottom of your problem.

bigG
    Free Member

Why don’t you slap some of this on and you’ll prevent future issues with ingrown hairs.

For the current issues, go and see your practice nurse, you don’t need to see a GP for a wee issue like that.

duntstick
    Free Member

White vinegar, regularly wiped to tender zone, don’t linger too long in your cycling shorts.

Sorted

Edit: Not Veet!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Christ if you can’t show your cheeks to a doctor you’re going to have a miserable old age

torsoinalake
    Free Member

he’ll get to the bottom of your problem.

Or the problem of your bottom.

DaRC_L

There is magnesium sulphate paste (needs to be put on under a plaster) which Mrs DaRC_L (an ex A&E nurse) got me to use in a similar situation.

It may take a few days but does draw the poisons out.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

My grandad reckoned he knew a boil sucker ! He practiced from the back room of A pub in Failsworth !

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Christ if you can’t show your cheeks to a doctor you’re going to have a miserable old age

Well, to be fair, I am thinking of the doc too!

I guess a young friend of mine had such bad hemorrhoids* he had to have a load of them cut out of his ringpiece, so I’m getting comparatively lightly-off.

I suppose I’ll add it to my list then, when I go and see one 🙂

I’ll try the paste etc first, if if they don’t work, well, someone’s going to have a bad bay and it won’t only be me 😉

Poor bugger.

*Weightlifting.

66deg
    Free Member

My nephew had one of those ingrowing hairs on the small of his back and had it surgically removed , the longer you leave it the worse it gets so it’s off to the docs for you sunny jim ,mi laddio.

blahblahblah
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member 
    go and see your doc, you don’t have to pay or nuffin, he’ll get to the bottom of your problem.

You just have to hope that in this case he doesn’t give you the big thumbs up! 😕

Harry_the_Spider

My grandad reckoned he knew a boil sucker ! He practiced from the back room of A pub in Failsworth !

Cheekyboy wins the internet!

back2basics
    Free Member

mine seem to come back with 1 particular seat. usually ride in pain for a few days before they are available for a big squeeze….

Chapeau Original Chamois Cream – works great from me to keep them at bay

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

go to the docs, i had a lump in my buttock, went to the doctor last Monday, got referred straight to the hospital and had an abscess and scar tissue surgically removed. Got an open would that needs cleaning and packing every day, process should take around 6-9 weeks but the nurse said its almost closed and should only be 3 weeks in total.

Apparently ingrowing hairs can result in the same surgical process

I ignored my lump for 3-4 weeks and just delayed the invenitable really.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Not too Graphic Linky

Surgical Removal .. I had to have mine done under general as an outpatient They dug out about the size of a small womans fist and let it heal as an open [packed out] wound that had to have the dressing refreshed once-twice daily for the first few weeks.. .8 weeks recovery with essentially an open wound in ‘that’ area.

Happened to me about 6 months-year after I first started cycling as a student .. i.e. my main form of transport so all the time everywhere .. but … I left it a year or so before I finally went to the Dr. 🙄 simply thinking it would burst or pop or grow out itself

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spotty botty [Thankfully no pictures content]’ is closed to new replies.