Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Spotted this on the back of VW/dub T4 van- nowt wrong or?
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Barring the obvious connotations does anyone else think the Nazi Reichsadler is actually an excellent design piece? It just looks very of it’s time yet timeless in the same way that so many other design classics of that period were and still are.

Anyway, I remember less of a fuss when the BDS launched with this as their logo:

whoops

😛

sbob
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

As a long time member of “the VAG crowd” with lots of friends that I’ve met over the years that are also, I can confirm, in my experience, this is a load of old bobbins.

So as a long term member of the VAG crowd I’m sure you’ve never known anyone to run German reg plates… 💡

Intent is key, as with most things.
    Seen plenty of swastikas in India, and have seen much use of the eagle amongst my Polish family.

No Jews were gassed in either of these observations.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member
    nealglover
    Free Member

Oh god sorry, I should have added “some” as a caveat for the hard of thinking.

You probably should have said what you meant yes, then you wouldn’t have to blame other people for presuming you meant what you said.

Obviously not every driving a vag car is going to do this.

I didn’t think that’s what you meant. I presumed you meant “enthusiasts” who maybe buy VW magazines etc.

Their cars are lowered, they go to meets or cruises, all that bullshit, you get the idea.

You’ve clearly understood the VW “scene” well, I’m sure all your observations are just as well researched 🙂

So as a long term member of the VAG crowd I’m sure you’ve never known anyone to run German reg plates…

Pressed metal plates are quite popular yes, part of the overall Euro Look.

Equally popular are American spec lights, and American spec smoothed front bumpers. Vintage American accessories, swamp coolers, Brazilian and Mexican vintage parts and accessories etc. etc.

sbob
    Free Member

Pressed metal plates are quite popular yes

Unconvincing post is unconvincing. 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Unconvincing in what way ?

I’ve agreed that the plates are popular to achieve a certain look. As are many other things that have no relevance to Germany or “Germanic” things at all.

What did you want me to say ?

sbob
    Free Member

What did you want me to say?

German plates.

Call a spade a spade.

I’ve seen plenty of non-Euro look VWs adorned with German plates and German stickers which would suggest that jimjam was not in fact talking complete bobbins.

Certainly never ecountered any Nazi association though.

Mister-P
    Free Member

There are three of us in my office with old VWs, all lowered 1960s vehicles that we take to meets (and all that bullshit). Not an eagle between us I’m afraid.

nealglover
    Free Member

German plates.
    Call a spade a spade.

I called them pressed metal plates, because 99% of the time, that’s what they are.
    I wasn’t being deliberately obtuse, and I agree they are popular.

I’ve seen plenty of non-Euro look VWs adorned with German plates and German stickers

Me too, And I’ve also seen hundreds of proper custom and resto VW’s at Shows and meets that have nothing of the sort.

which would suggest that jimjam was not in fact talking complete bobbins.

No. This is still complete bobbins…….

With the VAG crowd it’s a celebration (for want of a better word) of all things germanic.

If it were true, we would all be eating bratwurst with sauerkraut and wearing lederhosen while listening to oompah bands 😉

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’m confused.

The car I recently bought (BMW not VAG but still german!) has got pressed plates.

Am I a nazi?

Oh gawd I’ve got a shaved head too.

As an aside, I’m getting rid of them as I don’t like the look of them, nazi or not!

nealglover
    Free Member

Am I a nazi?

You might be. Hard to say.

But you’ve almost certainly got illegal plates, if you are driving in the UK 😉

sbob
    Free Member

If it were true, we would all be eating bratwurst with sauerkraut and wearing lederhosen while listening to oompah bands

I own a Jag and a Nissan and do this anyway, doesn’t everyone? 😕

Nico
    Free Member

The Nazis did buildings and visual identity really well.

Ah, the Lemmy defence.

And they made the trains run on time. Or was that the fascists? I never remember.

Mister-P
    Free Member

One of my VW driving colleagues has sent me a number of links to The Daily Mail. I am starting to suspect he may have 88 tattooed on his body somewhere.

Murray

Barclays Eagle at Radbroke still has its claws!

hora
    Free Member

^ that reminds me of Eastern/Balkans and pre -Nazi era Eagles. The VW one is distinctive and really quite similar:

Before this weekend I didn’t know such apeing existed. Such embalisim could cause alarm or distress. I know it made me look twice and mouth ‘w..T.f’

pictonroad

“Tatra sued Porsche for damages, and Porsche was willing to settle. However, Hitler cancelled this, saying he ‘would settle the matter.’ [5] When Czechoslovakia was invaded by the Nazis, the production of the T97 was immediately halted, and the lawsuit dropped”

Yes thanks, but playing who is the biggest VW geek isn’t relevant to the question I was answering honestly for hora.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Spotted this on the back of VW/dub T4 van- nowt wrong or?’ is closed to new replies.