Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Spotted this on the back of VW/dub T4 van- nowt wrong or?
  • hora
    Free Member

A metre high Germanic WWII era eagle ontop of a VW emblem. Am I over acting or is it apeing the wrong thing? A quick Google shows other style versions.

mtbfix

The eagle has been a part of the ‘german’ coat of arms for hundreds of years. The problem begins when it’s perching on a swastika.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

As seen on the German football team shirts

Nothing to worry about here

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lemonysam
    Free Member

The eagle has been a part of the ‘german’ coat of arms for hundreds of years.

True but the Nazis did have a very distinctive Reichsadler which I doubt many people would miss the significance of.

It probably helps that it’s a fantastic piece of design…

zilog6128

True but there is a specific version that the Nazis designed & started using in 1935 which is what I suspect the OP is referring to. It looks badass although you’d have to be pretty ignorant to be oblivious to the significance.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The problem begins when it’s perching on a swastika.

The problem begins when it spreads it’s wings…

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2007/jun/20/business.secondworldwar

Basil

Perhaps better to avoid comparison with Nazi symbology even if historically correct?

slowoldman

The one on the T-shirt is certainly the “Third Reich” version. But then the Volkswagen was a particularly “Third Reich” sort of car.

chip
    Free Member

I recently saw a nice vw van with a huge iron cross on the side. It would normally not have registered but it was around Poppy Day.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The one on the T-shirt is certainly the “Third Reich” version. But then the Volkswagen was a particularly “Third Reich” sort of car.

Not quite (and the wearer could argue this makes it OK) but the Wermacht eagle faces the other way.
    (Edit, only the military one faces left. Run of the mill nazi faces right). even so…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think you are indeed, over acting.
    😆

slowoldman

Edit, only the military one faces left. Run of the mill nazi faces right

I think the difference is actually between the national (Riech) symbol and the political (NAZI party) symbol.

shifter
    Free Member

Wringers gonna wring

hora
    Free Member

Symbolism. The Nazi era Eagle was sat on a Swastika, this ‘dub’ on a VW symbol. Would it be wrong to see visual shared clues?

On a much wider note the British far right use subtle symbolism- 1 & 8, Lonsdale, Fred Perry kit, hijacked New Balance trainers, (‘NN’) angled stands for.. All this is subtle. The dub drawing is provocative and wrong.

nedrapier

only a metre high? pfff…

Murray

I always found the giant stone eagle at Barclays Radbroke Hill a little scarey.

Symbols are powerful – I won’t wear my Swastika Bungalows t shirt out (souvenir of visiting friends in Bali on their world trip as literal last chance to see due to encroaching blindness) as many people will get the wrong idea.

Illinois Nazis. I hatec Illinois Nazis.

slowoldman

All this is subtle

Too subtle for me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh but they took the black claws off the Eagle at Barclays some years back…

Defender
    Free Member

The swastika was orginally a religous symbol, Adolf and Co, ruined that too.

pictonroad

Whatever you do Hora, don’t look up the ADAC , (German automobile club) eagle symbol, you might injur yourself hand wringing. I had the same sticker on on of my T3’s years ago, it’s tacky is about the biggest gripe I can throw at it.

Subverting a nazi symbol on a load of badly painted old vans seems just about perfect to me. 😀

konabunny
    Free Member

Defender – Member
    POSTED 29 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

You are Kula Shaker and I claim my NME storm in teacup

hora
    Free Member

Pictonroad rebel cool is a good thing. Doing it this way is either badly thought out or abit weird. I find it offensive.

Would you have that symbol on your VW? How would you explain its design to someone if asked?

hammerite
    Free Member

Imagine letting a bunch of 8 year olds research Hindu symbols for them to put on to their own Diya lamps that they’re making for Diwali and end up with half the class producing stuff with swastikas on. It led to 10 mins very careful explaining what it was as they were taking the lamps home, luckily the German lad in my class was completely oblivious.

shermer75
    Free Member

FIGHT!!!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBkBJMt_wt8[/video]

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Amateurs

Ours are council sanctioned!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/essex-county-council-asked-why-there-are-swastikas-carved-on-one-of-its-buildings-9153858.html

OK, Chelmsford is known for quite a few notable things, but not for being the nazi HQ

pictonroad

I did have it, in gold, I was aware of the symbolism, I quite liked the subversion. I used to really be into the history of VW, how British engineers helped the company grow after the war and the horror of nazi rule. The van I had could trace its roots right back to that period. I liked the obvious juxtaposition that everyone was out having fun in theses vehicles and the fact that it was subverting the original intent of the design and the symbols.

I took it off because it is a bit crass, I’m unconcerned that you’re offended (in the nicest possible way) but I suppose I would be upset if I had knowingly caused deep offence to someone, it’s not my vibe. 8)

CountZero

Only for Europeans; for millions of other people around the world it still is. Buddhist, Shinto, Hindu, Native American…
    It was also an early Christian symbol, found on stone Celtic crosses, even British saving stamps between the wars.
    As a pantheist I wear one as a generic symbol that transcends religions and faiths, but I’m very careful not to show it around, far too easily misinterpreted…
    Pity, really.

senorj

On a much wider note the British far right use subtle symbolism- 1 & 8, Lonsdale, Fred Perry kit, hijacked New Balance trainers,

Bugger…I buy most of my shoes from the New Balance factory in Flimby, are you saying I am now racist?
    I thought I was supporting the local workforce…..:-)

jools182
    Free Member

You are aware of the history of vw?

I’ve got a couple of Fred Perry tops, and I’ve just bought some new balance 😯

thomthumb
    Free Member

an eagle does not a fascist make!

Speshpaul

“I used to really be into the history of VW, how British engineers helped the company grow after the war and the horror of nazi rule. “

Were you in to the rest of their history as well?

“Tatra sued Porsche for damages, and Porsche was willing to settle. However, Hitler cancelled this, saying he ‘would settle the matter.’ [5] When Czechoslovakia was invaded by the Nazis, the production of the T97 was immediately halted, and the lawsuit dropped”

jimjam
    Free Member

There’s a cultish aspect to VW fans (and other car brands). With the VAG crowd it’s a celebration (for want of a better word) of all things germanic.

Personally I don’t think it’s any kind of subversion. It’s a nazi symbol, modified to include a nazi brand. But I don’t find it offensive either, just very stupid.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

. With the VAG crowd it’s a celebration (for want of a better word) of all things germanic.

Yeah , right…

jimjam
    Free Member

suburbanreuben

Yeah , right…

It is. What’s your point?

slowoldman

As a pantheist I wear one as a generic symbol that transcends religions and faiths, but I’m very careful not to show it around, far too easily misinterpreted…

Why would you wear a symbol but hide it? As a pantheist, wouldn’t you want to explain it?

As a son of a German brought up in the 20s and 30s it means a rubber stamp on school reports and other government documents. Nothing more.

oldnick

jimjam – Member
    With the VAG crowd it’s a celebration (for want of a better word) of all things germanic.

And there I was thinking my mk2 Golf was just a nice old car when infact it’s the (only) sign that I’m a Deutscher fanboi.

Haven’t noticed much of that on the Club GTI website either, I really must try harder if I’m to get my Nazi stripes.

🙄

johnnystorm

It’s all true, my T5 is WHITE!

nealglover
    Free Member

With the VAG crowd it’s a celebration (for want of a better word) of all things germanic.

As a long time member of “the VAG crowd” with lots of friends that I’ve met over the years that are also, I can confirm, in my experience, this is a load of old bobbins.

jimjam
    Free Member

Oh god sorry, I should have added “some” as a caveat for the hard of thinking. Obviously not every driving a vag car is going to do this. At the last count three people I know have or had some kind of variation on that eagle theme on their VWs.

Their cars are lowered, they go to meets or cruises, all that bullshit, you get the idea. They aren’t Nazis I should point out. The same guys used to leave VW magazines in work and variations on the eagle sticker/decal and other germanic symbology seemed very common.

Tiger6791

Das bobbins

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Spotted this on the back of VW/dub T4 van- nowt wrong or?’ is closed to new replies.