Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Spotted any good deals on 29er frames in XL/20"/21"
  • clubber
    Free Member

Anyone spotted any good, cheap deals (eg inbred scale of pricing rather than Niner) on 29er frames for the taller gent? XL, 20" or 21" most likely. Or even second hand ones.

TooTall
    Free Member

Other than the Diamondback Mojito Rutland are shifting on E Bay in 20"? Nope.

Do you know someone tall who isn't anti-29er then? 😉

clubber
    Free Member

😉

saw the Mojito and have considered that but I kind of suspect that it might be a bit too low end to really see if I can get a 29er to ride how I want.

TooTall
    Free Member

Well then – come over and we'll take the Sultan and the Scandal out for an hour and you can moan without parting with cash first!

clubber
    Free Member

Once again, I do appreciate the offer but there's no real point. I don't want to spend FS money so I'll be getting a hardtail and the whole point of the exercise is to get one that I can get set up how I want to see if I can temper the issues I've had on all the other 29ers I've ridden.

clubber
    Free Member

Stoner, thanks, spotted it already but can't really find out much detail on it and wondered if it would be better than an inbred (which I like in 26" flavour) or even the mojito which it looks kind of similar to.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

What are your issues with 29ers clubber? as a giant of a man, I'd imagine you'd have less problems than most with the increased wheel size?

TooTall
    Free Member

Well then – come over and we'll take the Sultan and the Scandal out for an hour and you can moan without parting with cash first! ride the Scandal and look at the Sultan! 😀
    At least then you'd know whether you like the Scandal with a fairly short stem and W I D E bars. Or not.

clubber
    Free Member

I've found all the ones I've ridden too 'steady'. Fast or faster maybe but less enjoyable to ride.

I don't really buy into the idea that they suit taller riders better either. Other than looking more in proportion, there's no real logic as to why they should suit better. Wheelbase is usually near enough the same as is the position of the contact points.

Basically, having broken yet another full susser I'm looking at a hardtail and I like the idea of the 29er coping with rocks/roots better than a 26" one.

clubber
    Free Member

TT I hate wide bars 🙂

and that's the point about this post – I need my own one that I can mess about with and fit bars I like, stem height/length and so on. I figure that if it doesn't work out that there are plenty of evangelists to sell the bits on to..

barney
    Free Member

Dylan

I'll be at the Bristol 12 next weekend, and I'll have my Singular with me. It rides very like a 26" bike to me; you're more than welcome to take a lap on it.. it's got wide (flat) bars, though 😀

To my mind you're better off riding some that you think *might* be appropriate before splashing out..

Barney

clubber
    Free Member

That'd be great Barney. I've already ridden several 29er mind…

Stoner
    Free Member

clubber – I have a spare 21" scandal frame (original scandium stuff too!) hanging on the wall if you want to borrow it for a try out. It's not for sale but would give you an idea of feel before plumping for something.

barney
    Free Member

I've already ridden several 29er mind…

Yeah, but you think they're all crap, as far as I can make out 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Not crap, just not quite right so I'd like to try some tweaking…

boxelder

How big is a 21" Scandal. It says a 19.5 has an effective TT length of 24.4" – a smidge longer than my 20" Life (26er). The Life feels right, so would the XL Scandal be too big. I'm 6'4".

clubber
    Free Member

I'm 6'5" and reckon the xl/21 is right. I ride a 20" inbred which has around the same tt length as the 19.5 scandal but I have a 110mm stem on it and would use something shorter – 90mm ish – on the 21" scandal.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Ask Peaty, he's got one!

rOcKeTdOg

i love your "wall art" Stoner

barney
    Free Member

I run a 21" Swift. 25 and something TT, 90mm stem, 710mm wide flat bars, teeny bit of layback on the seatpost, fits me lovely. reckon it'd fit you perfect, Dylan – the only question is whether you'll like it 🙂

For what it's worth I had a 29er inbred XL before that and it felt like a tractor compared to the swift.

TooTall
    Free Member

For what it's worth I had a 29er inbred XL before that and it felt like a tractor compared to the swift.

Well – going from niche to uber-niche you have to say that! I do hope it is rigid as well!

clubber
    Free Member

Well mine definitely won't be rigid. Swifts look good (and I should really have won that one at SSUK07 as I'm sue I was the tallest 26" rider there) but they're pretty expensive aren't they?

clubber
    Free Member

Ahem, bump for the weekday crowd 😉

si-wilson
    Free Member

I 'might' have a brand new large Chumba HX2 available for £375. Will know for sure tonight.

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks but too much for me I'm afraid.

si-wilson
    Free Member

No worries 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Are you sure your not near London/Herts anytime soon?
    Or if you can get a box to me & pay the postage then I'll send you my Viper to try (you replied to my ad in the classifieds a while back).

Cheers.

clubber
    Free Member

2unfit YGM

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Want to borrow a 29er clubber? 😉

clubber
    Free Member

You got one? Might be a bit small for
    me 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

No, but I was thinking I could buy one, set it up in a really weird way, then claim to be mystified when you said you didn't like it.

clubber
    Free Member

Er. Ok…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Clubber, you are in danger of becoming the new Hora. 😐

TooTall
    Free Member

He wants a 29er that is less 'steady' (unstable?) than he has tried – and with narrower bars.

I recommend a 29er unicycle for clubber! Ticks his boxes thus far.

clubber
    Free Member

Hora through the necessity of breaking frames, maybe 😉

29er unicycle? Well I suppose it makes sense for clown bike sized wheels…

flange
    Free Member

Clubber – I've got a Fisher Rig with ecentric bb you're welcome to try. Its rigid SS at the moment, but I too ride a 20 inch inbred for racing and this feels a fair bit quicker.

Its also for sale but you'd have to run an Alfine or similar as there's no hanger.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

… and still the offers of a loan bike to try come rolling in 😆

You've seen the brace of kikapu's on the classifieds if you want to try your luck with a 26" FS again, I presume?

Andy

20" Swift & On One Ti29erhere you can try. Reading way.

I really recommend the Swift as being great bikes, with the rolling advantage of a 29er but so, so nimble on singletrack.

Only problem is its blue, which whilst being clearly faster than purple, I undertand you may have a problem with? 😈

benhazard
    Free Member

hello, im 6′ 5″ and thinking of buying the diamondback mojito large (20″ frame) as first 29er, will the this fit me? any experience on this bike at 6′ 5″ most appreciated. thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Spotted any good deals on 29er frames in XL/20"/21"’ is closed to new replies.