• This topic has 86 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nach.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Spotify will be stealing all your photos and contacts (probably)
  • wwaswas

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/cant-squat-spotifys-eerie-new-privacy-policy/

“With your permission, we may collect information stored on your mobile device, such as contacts, photos, or media files. Local law may require that you seek the consent of your contacts to provide their personal information to Spotify, which may use that information for the purposes specified in this Privacy Policy.” – Spotify

“Depending on the type of device that you use to interact with the Service and your settings, we may also collect information about your location based on, for example, your phone’s GPS location or other forms of locating mobile devices (e.g., Bluetooth). We may also collect sensor data (e.g., data about the speed of your movements, such as whether you are running, walking, or in transit).” – Spotify

It turns out that ‘your permission’ is continuing to use Spotify.

We’ve just taken out household membership too and I’m not sure I want my kid’s phones and lists of friends being perused by Spotify to see if they can make some money from them or a tab being kept on which way they walk to school.

Thanks Spotify, I may now have to move on.

footflaps

If you use a proper mobile OS like iOS, the OS gives you proper control over what Apps can access, so you can stop an App seeing contacts etc.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

If you use a proper mobile OS like iOS, the OS gives you proper control over what Apps can access, so you can stop an App seeing contacts etc.

Or people can simply not download the app. How soon will it be before these apps and ultimately companies stop treating our devices as something they can dip in and out of for whatever information they want.

Local law may require that you seek the consent of your contacts to provide their personal information to Spotify, which may use that information for the purposes specified in this Privacy Policy.” – Spotify

We’ll take and use your personal information but it’s your responsibility to tell anyone inyour personal lists what we’re doing with your ind¡formation, just in case you’re breaking any laws.

Nice.

martinhutch

Always wondered why Spotify was so slow to launch. Now I know it’s only backing up my hard-drive into its cloud, I can rest easy.

footflaps

I don’t see the problem, most Apps try and access stuff like contacts eg WhatsApp, FB etc, I just bar them all in iOS and don’t think twice about it.

franksinatra

Thanks Spotify, I may now have to move on.

Move on to what?, I suspect most streaming apps will operate similar policies,

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Move on to what?, I suspect most streaming apps will operate similar policies,

Ah! So they’re all at it. That’s OK then.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can do this on (some) Andorid phones too, wind yer creative type tatoed fixie riding hipster neck in fanboi. 😛

I presume it does it to cross reference your listening habits with fiends to suggest music based on their tastes too?

The speed/location thing is probably to work out what people like to listen to whilst driving, walking, on the train, cycling etc, or to pick out bands that are liked locally.

Relative to most ‘free’ apps, it’s pretty non-sinister, at least they have a reasonable use for it beyond just farming it and selling it which is all most games are designed to do.

miketually
    Free Member

There are non-sinister reasons for them to need to access all the information that they’re asking about and, as above, any streaming service is going to look at the same information.

wrecker
    Free Member

“If you don’t agree with the terms of this Privacy Policy, then please don’t use the Service.” – Spotify

Ok no probs.

DrP

wwaswwas; Spotify, like myself, won’t be interested in numerous images of your genitals.
    Stop send them please.

DrP

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

There are non-sinister reasons for them to need to access all the information that they’re asking about and, as above, any streaming service is going to look at the same information.

So there’s an opt in feature that let’s the end user choose, no?

Hey, don’t worry, I’m in your home a 3am for non sinister reasons. I’m not stealing anything, I just want a look around. 😀

Drac

Ok no probs.

miketually
    Free Member

So there’s an opt in feature that let’s the end user choose, no?

Yes, they can not instal the app.

Hey, don’t worry, I’m in your home a 3am for non sinister reasons. I’m not stealing anything, I just want a look around.

If I’ve invited you into my home, you’re welcome to have a look around. If I don’t want you to look around, I’ll not invite you in.

franksinatra

wow. do people really care that much? If you have a problem with it, just listen to the radio instead.

Some people think too much.

wwaswas

Stop send them please.

Not until I see the safe word.

I know all these false protests are just part of the game 🙂

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Yes, they can not instal the app.

I completely agree with this, the problem might be that there’s a lot of people out there who are looking at the shiney Spotify and not looking at the boring T&Cs and inadvertantly letting these apps have access to their details.
    My earlier point was that if enough people know, and are not happy, and don’t download, the app designers will have to change this policy.
    Obviously it’s not an issue for many, so they will continue. I’m more than happy not using Spotify, there are plenty of other ways of listening to music that don’t need access to my contact list.
    For the record, most of my friends think my musical tastes are weird at best and wouldn’t thank anyone for recommending something from my record collection.

wwaswas

just listen to the radio instead.

Some people think too much.

You know that Spotify plays the music you choose, without chat around it, don’t you?

The issue as above is that most people just accept t’s and c’s without reading them (why would you expect a streaming music service to access your photos or where your 10 year old’s phone is?). If the information is available then an informed choice can be made – that’s what I was trying to achieve.

Some people don’t think enough.

anagallis_arvensis

Am I alone in not giving a shit?

wrecker
    Free Member

Strange post drac.

miketually
    Free Member

Nope 🙂

Given what Google know about me, I don’t think it matters that Spotify know too.

Bez

So if, say, we reach the point where the supermarkets only let you buy stuff if they check your phone and all your bank cards and whatever else, do we still say, oh, it’s ok, because you have the option of not buying food?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

why would you expect a streaming music service to access your photos or where your 10 year old’s phone is?

I’m fairly sure spotify as a company doesn’t GAS where your kids are, or has any intention of looking at photos of them. What it’s probably doing is figuring out they’re 10 years old and want to listen to Frozen on repeat rather than NWA. And that perhapse there’s some update coming where you’ll be able to share pics with friends on spotify like you can on Strava.

Did you know they can release chemicals through the keyboard too, they make you feel more suggestive.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFMsx0mjWrM[/video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFMsx0mjWrM

jamesfts
    Free Member

If you don’t like it, don’t use it or turn it off in the app settings. Simple.

For the tinfoil hat brigade – a lot of apps have access to your contact details/photos/GPS data etc. usually for quite clever, useful things like finding your friends accounts, letting you post photos directly from the app, being able to tell if you’re at home or out and about and adjusting the app accordingly.

miketually
    Free Member

So if, say, we reach the point where the supermarkets only let you buy stuff if they check your phone and all your bank cards and whatever else, do we still say, oh, it’s ok, because you have the option of not buying food?

That’s quite a leap from a music streaming app wanting to help you connect to your friends and match the bpm of your music to your running speed.

DezB
    Free Member

or a tab being kept on which way they walk to school.

I wonder what the ratio of Spotify “spies” (ie. employees) to Spotify users is… what are the chances that it’s your kids they’ll be watching? 😆

I don’t stream, but this is not the reason why.

wwaswas

Did you know they can release chemicals through the keyboard too, they make you feel more suggestive.

Have you taken over now jhj is on a ban?

so, Spotify might want to know that my 10 year old is at school and lots of other users of their service are in the same location and then produce some sort of targeted ad/suggestion based on the fact that their location is a secondary school, or whatever?

I’m not saying any of this is wrong the whole point is that unless people know that this type of data capture is happening they can’t make an informed choice as to whether they accept it or not.

Also, as with stw, as a paying user of a service I think I should be able to exercise more choice about what information etc is shown to me and also collected from devices I use the service on.

don’t use it or turn it off in the app settings. Simple.

I think the whole point is that there is no option to turn it off within the Spotify app?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What exactly do you think your Tesco clubcard actually does?

Which is scarier, spotify knowing that you like Natalie Imbruglia, or Tesco running a part of the NHS and knowing how much alcohol you drink and that you regularly get the 3am munchies with friends.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

If you don’t like it, don’t use it or turn it off in the app settings. Simple.

I think we’ve worked that one out already and are happy to do so.

For the tinfoil hat brigade –

I’d rather be tin foil than brainless sheeple.

jamesfts
    Free Member

sheeple

Eugh.

footflaps

I’d rather be tin foil than brainless sheeple.

Personally I’d rather be neither.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have you taken over now jhj is on a ban?

No I was just mocking you for your Paedogedon slant on a music app wanting to know who you are before recommending some music yo you.

wwaswas

Paedogedon slant on a music app wanting to know who you are before recommending some music yo you

It was more the where than the who, surely 🙂

You’ll be telling me that STW capture the IP address of everyone who posts on here next 🙄

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Personally I’d rather be neither.

Me too, but if we’re calling people tinfoil hat brigade, it must be fine to call the opposing view brainless sheeple.

DezB
    Free Member

What exactly do you think your Tesco clubcard actually does?

And he knows you’ve got a Clubcard.. how? 😯

franksinatra

Not at all, I happily pay Spotify £10 a month. In fact, listening to Your Morning coffe playlist as I type.

I dont GAS if they are rooting around in my phone. I don’t feel threatened or violated in anyway.

teasel
    Free Member

Strange post drac.

Yeah. I thought that, too.

DezB
    Free Member

I think he was calling wrecker a rebel. Arf.

teasel
    Free Member

Yeah, I got that. Just don’t get how he arrived at that conclusion from Wrecker’s post, though I’m starting to see a pattern in Drac’s offerings that suggest he’s just an arse troll looking for a bite.

Anyway, not meant to derail it. Carry on…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It was more the where than the who, surely

I’m hypothesizing but if I lived in London I’d expect it to probably play me more up and coming bands that were in London or touring there shortly, ditto Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, Leeds, wherever. Whether that’s based on knowing where I am and where the bands from, or just from knowing where you are and where everyone else is to see what you’ve not listened to but everyone else has, it still needs to know your (and everyone else) location.

Similarly if you’re mid 40’s from the home counties and spend a disproportionate amount of time in Waitrose it will probably send you Nora Jones rather than East London Grime music.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Spotify will be stealing all your photos and contacts (probably)’ is closed to new replies.