Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Spotify putting restictions in place!
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

HERE
    Specifically:-

New Spotify users will be able to enjoy our unrivalled free service as it is today for the first 6 months.
    As of May 1st, any user who signed up to the free service on or before November 1st 2010 will be able to play each track for free up to a total of 5 times. Users who signed up after the beginning of November will see these changes applied 6 months after the time they set up their Spotify account.
    Additionally, total listening time for free users will be limited to 10 hours per month after the first 6 months. That’s equivalent to around 200 tracks or 20 albums.

I suppose it had to happen, but im not prepared to lash out £8 per month for a full licence.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Is it not £5 or £10 if you want it on your phone? I’ve got the full bells and whistles version. Well worth it, IMO

speed12
    Free Member

I suppose it had to happen, but im not prepared to lash out £8 per month for a full licence.

This isn’t a total shoot down or anything, but if you use Spotify I presume you listen to a lot of music? £10 a month is essentially one CD album a month. For unlimited music. And if you have an iPhone (or Android I think) then unlimited mobile music as well. It really isn’t much money for what is a great service.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

if you use Spotify I presume you listen to a lot of music?

Only sporadically for me. Definitely not £10 per month’s worth.

Shandy
    Free Member

I have been meaning to go Premium, I pay for Sky TV so £10 a month for hassle-free unlimited music seems pretty good.

The Russell Brand “Arthur” ads are a very good way of driving people onto the ad-free version.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’ll probably start paying.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Shandy = Blockify mutes all the ads.
    I tend to use it at work to listen to stuff I’ve got etc.

AlexSimon

This is basically an admission that their original ad revenue model didn’t work.
    When half the ads seem to be for Spotify themselves, it was clear they never had the impact they thought they would.

They probably needed to get the volume of ads up significantly to do proper targetted ads. I was always waiting for the day I seemed to get a ad suited to my listening tastes, but it never happened in 2 solid year’s listening!

I think £10 per month is far too high for something that relies on a full-time data connection.
    I wont be paying. I’ll put up with the restrictions for now and see how it goes.

I’ll be using Last FM a lot more again now I think.

donsimon
    Free Member

Depends on how muh you listen to, but 8 quid for unlimited listening sounds like a bargain.

t_i_m
    Free Member

premium service is good EXCEPT that there are still many artists and labels missing from Spotify, which makes their “unlimited” service some what limited. Hopefully, the new restrictions will enable them to fill some of the gaps in their catalogue before people start leaving.

t_i_m
    Free Member

lastfm is good but a very different service

chakaping
    Free Member

but im not prepared to lash out £8 per month for a full licence.

A lot of people will though I bet. Smart move by them.

julianwilson
    Free Member

We have been on ‘free’ spotify for about 18 months i suppose: the frequency of ads is definitely less now, and as mentioned earlier, three quarters of them are now for spotify anyway. The ads for music do not seem to be targeted at all either…

doodlebug
    Free Member

Never seem to listen to Spotify now, i’ve moved onto : http://beta.mflow.com/
    Always free and no adverts…..

joao3v16
    Free Member

oh no. it’s the end of the world. 🙄

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I think £10 per month is far too high for something that relies on a full-time data connection.
    I wont be paying. I’ll put up with the restrictions for now and see how it goes.

I’ll be using Last FM a lot more again now I think.

£10 option allows you to save tracks for offline listening on your computer and phone. I don’t drive around streaming everything on my phone. It would cost a fortune (in data) and the quality is only 60kbps compared to 320 when you’ve downloaded tracks in offline mode.

Last FM is now £3 a month

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

grooveshark anyone? free, no ads (but perhaps not the content).

suits me though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Spotify putting restictions in place!’ is closed to new replies.