Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sportwool vs Merino
  • Earl
    Free Member

What is Sportwool stuff like compared to merino? I like merino /icebraker light base layers but they dont last long in my hands. Sportwool Polyester / merino Wool blend (77 / 23) is assume is a bit tougher but does it breath as well as merino?

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

It wicks better but smells a bit sooner. A good compromise I find

Earl
    Free Member

Bump

timc
    Free Member

what be this sports wool? any products to show us?

tron
    Free Member

Sportswool is normally a synthetic / merino mix.

It is tougher, if anything breathes better, dries far more easily.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I like Merino stuff a lot but it definitely doesn't last very long.

Earl
    Free Member

Examples – here you go.

Seams to be different mixes available

Sportswool Grid mix (77/23) Poly/wool
    and
    Sportswool Energy mix (62/38) Poly/wool

Earl
    Free Member

Icebraker boxers lasted a month – not very tollerent to 'tackle' rub.

timc
    Free Member

my merino Baa Baa's have lasted over 18 months with lots of use, bobbled alot but still do the job!

RepacK
    Free Member

I find the Endura merino to be pretty good – no problem with smell or longevity.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My Baa Baa is definitely quite durable but it's pretty thick – too thick for Summer use IMO.

Got loads of Merino stuff – T shirts, a polo shirt, jumpers, socks, etc – the thicker it is the longer it last but thin stuff like vests (use for running) and T shirts get holey very quickly. Mostly got Howies and Finisterre stuff – my Howies vest holed after three weeks, my Finisterre Ts did the same after two months, my Finisterre sweater (Coho) which I wore non stop as it fitted so well shredded at the cuffs after a few months.

Socks seem to last okay as do my "woolen" style jumpers and my Howies polo shirt.

timc
    Free Member

i often wear merino in the summer as well but fail to see any benefits to it over normal jersey's when the weather is fair…

Ice breaker is overpriced IMO, as for howies… rip of skateboarder wear! 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Not when you only buy their stuff in the sale (Howies) – well made kit that fits and the most important thing – once you know your sizing you never have to venture into a shop! Clothes shopping in shops = torture!

jonb
    Free Member

I've got a jersey I got ages ago that is sportswool.

It's nice. Seems to have the advantages of standard polypropylene and some of merino.

The thing I like most is that it holds its shape and looks. I find marino stuff looks rubbish after a while, especially if its a jersey not a baselayer.

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

Helly Hansen Lifa all the way – none of this Merino sh1t that gets wet with sweat.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

What PP and Tron said. Sportwool is the best – I wish there were some more MTB oriented tops made of it.

Helly Hansen LIFA prowool is my favouite thermal baselayer – same same LIFA merino mix.

dogxcd

merino running vest?
    never heard of this-any links/signpost please?

Earl
    Free Member

Im actally looking for something to keep me cool when it's stinking hot and i sweating like a river.

MadBillMcMad

Icebraker boxers lasted a month – not very tollerent to 'tackle' rub.

Earl,
    how often do you need to wash merino boxers ?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

merino running vest?

My Howies merino vest is not sold specifically as a running one but it's what I use to run in!

Oh – they don't seem to do them any more. Damn!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sportwool vs Merino’ is closed to new replies.