Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • 'Sports' that shouldn't be in the Olympics.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Just trying to keep this light, but – trampolining? Really? I thought that was just something ten year olds did on a Saturday morning.

Pentathlon – to me that looks like something you decide to take up if you aren’t much good at anything (and hope you’ll be vaguely good at them all combined). Has anyone ever met anyone who does it.

BMX… possibly controversial but I really don’t see how BMX is in it and not DH.

😀

IHN

Did you put your Daily Mail down to type that?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Horsedancing

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Same reasoning the 100m is in, but the 60m isn’t.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sports that involve doping or other forms of cheating

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Golf.

colournoise

Modern Pentathlon has to be in. It was invented purely for the Olympics.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Soccerball. We get enough of it for the other 3 years and 49 weeks.

JoB
    Free Member

Cycling – i thought riding a bicycle around a bit was just something ten year olds did on a Saturday morning

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And in a historical context, the olympics isn’t always about athletic sport, From wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_competitions_at_the_1948_Summer_Olympics

Including town planning! (well I suppose it was post war)

nickc

I think the sports that already have large commercial globe spanning championships

Golf, Tennis, Football, Basketball. Those sorts of sports.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t rate BMX as a spectator sport tbh. Too short, too many crashes, not interesting enough to watch.

clubby

Anything with judging in it. Too subjective.
    Stick to sports that win by quickest/longest/highest etc.

Trimix
    Free Member

Anything that needs a panel of judges to tell you who won.

Horse dancing, messing about in the pool and in the gym.

If its not obvious to the spectators its not sport. Also anything that can be done it trousers is not a sport – so Golf is out.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’d love to see olympic stone-skimming.

lunge

Sports that involve doping or other forms of cheating

Well, that’ll cut the time the games take and infrastructure needed somewhat I suppose.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Modern Pentathlon has to be in. It was invented purely for the Olympics.

That was ancient pentathlon back in Greek and Roman times. Modern pentathlon has been tweaked a lot for the Olympics.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Moaning and whinging, hang on thats something people shouldn’t do 😉 plenty of variety, love to see more included without ditching stuff.

tang
    Free Member

Im looking forward to CX in the winter games. I reckon CX has more people racing and following globally than some of the sports represented.

simon_g

Anything where the Olympics isn’t considered the biggest thing to win:

– Golf
    – Tennis
    – Football
    – Rugby

I’d trim down some of the sports where there’s loads of different classes (and thus medals):

– Sailing
    – Track cycling
    – Swimming

doris5000

I don’t rate BMX as a spectator sport tbh. Too short, too many crashes, not interesting enough to watch

yeah I love BMX but it needs to be several laps!

Sports that should be disallowed because children do them on a Saturday:

running
    jumping
    swimming
    football
    riding bikes
    fighting

Sports that I personally don’t care for and therefore should be BANNED:

Golf
    Horse dancing
    Showjumping – or at least give the medal to the horse

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Soccerball. We get enough of it for the other 3 years and 49 weeks.

😀 😀 😆 fully agreed.

Also agreed. I think boxing should only be in if they carry on til someone gets knocked out. But I suppose they can’t ditch gymnastics and diving and all of those too.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Sports that should be disallowed because children do them on a Saturday:

running
    jumping
    swimming
    football
    riding bikes
    fighting

But the thing is, the above actually are sports 😉 .

Although I detest football.

Toddboy
    Free Member

Anything that is ‘synchronised’.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe there should be a ‘Mountain’ olympics, move the XC, road, canoe/kayak slalom, and add in fell running, CX, climbing, walking (without the silly rules, just make it an ultramarathon)

I think the sports that already have large commercial globe spanning championships

And cycling?
    And athletics (debatable, but if there wasn’t the Olympics the world champs would probably step into the vacuum)?
    And, well, any sport, there can’t be many sports which don’t have their own world championships, and the winners are always either state sponsored or pro by commercial means.

atlaz
    Free Member

Anything where the Olympics isn’t considered the biggest thing to win

This +1

Also reduce the number of variations on the same event. It starts to sound like the school sports day where they want to give everyone the biggest chance to win.

I reserve the right to rescind that if they include the egg and spoon or sack race as I won those at my primary school every year.

everyone
    Free Member

I always thought that modern pentathlon was the skills needed by an officer (when they still used horses etc)

anagallis_arvensis

All the ones where the men or women were off competing in other events before the olympucs were over!!

nickc

Actually most judged sports are pretty objective, it’s not all about pointing your toes, and smiling at the panel. It’s mostly a technical assessment.

jambalaya
    Free Member

BMX
    Rugby
    Golf
    Tennis

Paralympics should be integrated back into the Olympics

Scateboarding is in for 2020, daft

Modern Pentathlon I love, designed to mimic the skills a top cavalry officer would need.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Anything where it is played professionally!
    Football, Golf, Basketball, tennis, etc.
    Who remembers when the olympic athletes weren’t allowed to receive a payment for their sport only sponsorship?
    Linford Christie and the rest had trust funds until they either retired or turned pro – at which point they weren’t then eligible to compete as the Olympics were for amateurs.
    It wasn’t until 1986 when the US pressured the IOC into allowing then to field Pro’s against the eastern block state sponsored athletes.
    Low and behold they then went and fielded a full NBA pro squad in 92 amongst others. 🙄

dmorts

Football. Or if it has to be in, a more entertaining and faster version, along the lines of what Rugby 7s is to Rugby.

IHN

It’s an entirely pointless debate, because, really, every single sport is stupid; it’s someone spending their whole life at being really good at something that has no real practical purpose.

That’s not say the Olympics shouldn’t happen, it definitely should because it brings a huge amount of enjoyment to lots of people

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anything where it is played professionally!

Most of the top sports are done professionally, cycling, tennis, athletics, rugby 7s, it means the quality of the competition is much better – remember when rugby union players all needed day jobs?
    In terms of football isn’t it the case that a certain number of players must be under 23?

bluebird
    Free Member

Also anything that can be done it trousers is not a sport

Really?

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s not a sport if you can compete at the highest level whilst wearing flip flops. (wheelchair sports excepted)

legend
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to Crossfit being part of the 2024 games

mrblobby
    Free Member

Appealing to the youth audience is a big part of the future for the Olympics, hence adding events like BMX. I think Skateboarding is in the next Olympics. Think it’s a good thing.

In answer to the OP… I’d vote out Golf (though it would cost Team GB a gold!)

– Sailing
    – Track cycling
    – Swimming

You don’t get the same person competing in different sailing classes though and winning multiple medals. Sailing actually seems a pretty reasonable spread.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I think Skateboarding is in the next Olympics.

I believe surfing is too, which could cause problems for landlocked host countries.

doris5000

Maybe there should be a ‘Mountain’ olympics, move the XC, road, canoe/kayak slalom, and add in fell running, CX, climbing, walking (without the silly rules, just make it an ultramarathon)

you forgot camping –

fastest person to leg it down to the toilet block and get back into bed

quickest time from parking the car to opening a beer

pitching a tent in the dark

etc etc

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘'Sports' that shouldn't be in the Olympics.’ is closed to new replies.