Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • Sports Massage – how many of you get it and…
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

how often, and how much do you pay for the privilege?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s your opinion on it SBZ?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Depends entirely on the techniques used and how they are applied. There are benefits to it though.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t, but have been considering it… many people advise it.

*sits back and waits*

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nobody?

CrumpledCartlidge
    Free Member

Had it once after a 24 solo race as my team had a friend in to do it. I just remember it being incredibly painful, having said that my legs were probably in knots at the time. Cant really comment on how well it worked mind as seen as ive only had one but I could walk the next day at least 🙂

Knew someone who used to have them a fair bit, said he used to get one done on a hot water bed if i remember rightly, said it hurt at the time but he’d feel amazing on the bike the following day.

geoffj

Depends how good the happy ending is.

emsz
    Free Member

after what sort of exercise?

I’m running loads atm, should I bother?

skiboy
    Free Member

Yep I have them for my back, it gets all knotty sometimes around my neck and shoulders other times my lower back, started having sports massages around 14 months ago, cost 25 notes for shoulders and back, 2 sessions ago around 6 weeks back i was gritting my teeth so hard I thought I might break my jaw, really hurt that one , at one point I was going to ask the masseuse to stop, she uses her elbows in areas !!,

Works for me

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*tries really hard not to speak about own masseur qualifactions*

emsz
    Free Member

Don’t need *that* sort of massage Yeti, LOL.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

arse down….. £25…..once a month and more if required. Worth every penny and shard of pain! 👿

stratobiker
    Free Member

Sport Massage is the dogs, and can make helluva difference….

You go in feeling 150 years old you come out feeling 15 years old.

But, it has to be done by someone who knows their stuff.

Plus, if they know their stuff…you don’t tell them where the problem is they tell you….

Have to add Mrs Stratobiker knows her stuff.

But….it hurts!!!

SB

MrSmith
    Free Member

prefer a foam roller as it’s a lot cheaper with similar results. dunno about upper body though, i only use it on my legs/glutes.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

emsz… why did you assume it would be some sort of filthy thing?! 🙁

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Mrs BS is the massuse for the GB MTB team, I occasionally get the benefit of a freebie and it always helps. I get really tight hamstrings and glutes, after a while this has an effect on my knees, a session every couple if weeks sorts me out and stops my knee issues.

She has a LSSM diploma and is time served. Charges around £30 a session privately.

druidh
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what’s all this “in knots” business about?

iDave
    Free Member

once a week, just binned last one, trying new one on Sunday evening, £15-20 an hour. feel like I really need a session with someone who can do active release though.

london_lady
    Free Member

I have an upper body massage once every 6 weeks to attend to an arm injury from coming off the bike in the winter. I pay £30 for 30mins. The effects are slow but are noticeable even though the massage can be a bit invasive at the time. I didn’t realise how much the day to day usage of a computer affects you so it helps with the general well being.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Had them every day on last year’s Trans Wales – really worth it for 7 days riding in a row!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Muscle knots are essentially parts of a muscle that have either become over-shortened, tight however you want to describe it. Best way to release them is to starve them of oxygen for a few seconds.

Suggsey
    Free Member

My daughters friend had not long qualified and was not able to charge for insurance reasons etc etc but she was bloody brilliant, I had large knot in my back and extremely sore hamstrings. Got a full body from neck to toe and when she told me I was done and it was time to go I was that relaxed I couldnt stand up. Had to be helped off the treatment table. Glad I gave her a gift of £15 made me feel so much better.

scaredypants

it’s all about the extras for me – willing to travel, SBZ ?

druidh
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    Muscle knots are essentially parts of a muscle that have either become over-shortened, tight however you want to describe it. Best way to release them is to starve them of oxygen for a few seconds.

How would I know if I had them?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Feel the belly of the muscle – if it has what feels like bits of string or rope running along it then you have muscle knots.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Scaredypants – I do go a long way, although I dont last long, it hurts lots and is extremely effective.

druidh
    Free Member

Is it possible I’ve reached the grand old age of 52 and never had a knotted muscle?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Possible, but highly unlikely.

It is however very possible and likely that you have reached that age without realising that your muscles have been or are knotted.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I have a weekly rotation of holistic (whole body) massage & trigger point therapy (myofascial release)
    I don’t pay as it’s part of a swap arrangement I have with other bodywork therapists but typical rates in my area are £30 per session, more for home visits.

druidh
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    Possible, but highly unlikely.

It is however very possible and likely that you have reached that age without realising that your muscles have been or are knottedHmmm – better to live in ignorance methinks 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Probably. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Trekster

Have done for 20yrs or so to keep me walking/biking etc. Current one is 5ft nothing but by f*** when she digs those elbows in 😈
    Works tho and I should go more often than I do.
    Must make an appointment come to think of it……….

hilldodger
    Free Member

Well its like not knowing your bike frame is cracked because you never look 😉

crazy-legs

Used to have it from when I was at uni up until a few years ago. Still have it very occasionally but I’ve never found anyone as good as the last woman I had. She could tell exactly what my exercise routine had been in the previous 2 weeks and, becasue I was going regularly, she knew exactly where the trouble spots (usually my ITB) were and what to do.
    When I started going to her it was £16/hr! She charges £25/hr now which is still bloody good considering some people charge that for half the time.

My ex was a physio, she used to give me back massages quite regularly although she was no good with untangling my poor long suffering ITB.

MrSmith
    Free Member

those of you above with ITB issues should try a foam roller
    a world of pain when you first try it but worth it.

Podium
    Free Member

£15-£20 an hour obviously straight out of the local college then as any decent,well quaified therapist should should be charging £25-£35 for 30 mins of skilled bodywork as a minimum.Assuming they know their direct myofascial release from indirect.Talking of which…

Not sure I would classify trigger point therapy as myofascial work per se.Although pressure will obviously effect all pervasive fascial slings,to an extent.Sarcomere re-setting,at it’s fundamental level to meridianb work if you adopt an Eastern philosophy in such matters.i tend to mix and match that which is effective and does me least harm.

Oh,and i beg to differ on the foam roller comment.As if most people using them on themselves have the slightest inkling of basic functional anatomy,postural imbalances,counter nutation and pelvic obliquity as relating to ITB issues [for example] blahdy blah,so on and so forth.

As for sports massage having to be painful to be effective [most folks experience seems to involve tears,it seems] that’s just down to poor training [very widespread] and therapist ignorance.

BEWARE NO PAIN NO GAIN MASSAGE THERAPISTS!! ignorance and poor training and lack of effective professional development methinks.

The most effective work is done by sinking into soft tissue,waiting for it to let you in.Which requires a more profound subtle touch.Takes longer and a more sensitive approach.

Aggressive work [which is painful] forces muscle guarding and a protective reflex which by definition is counter productive…

The vast majority of therapists have very poor awareness of basic body mechanics so tend to overwork and overstrain both themselves and their clients.This is far from effective work and not in any ones best interest.

80% of therapists sustain career threatening injuries within two years of starting clinical practice.I wonder why that might be.

Podium – with a firm but sensitive touch.

Podium
    Free Member

Just to add that a chum of mine,who was qualified to L4 at a renowned training provider in the capital ,had to have surgery as results of her continual use of no pain no gain techniques.She lasted 3 years and is no longer practicing.

Podium
    Free Member

Smith,my dear fellow.Are you working directly on ITB? TFL? [if not that might be a better plan] better still would be addressing issues up and down ye olde kinectic chain that might in fact be causal factors to ITB issues.

As a tip,don’t do any pressure work or frictioning close to the fatty bursa where ITB inserts as it can really irritate the the nerve endings in that area.

Massage therapist ‘stripping’ ITB = clueless.Responds much better to lateral freeing to improve structural glide.

saleem
    Free Member

I have a massage every week, can’t beat it really, sofa is set up at the moment for mine in the morning as th GF does it, already had relfexology this week, mind you we have someone else come to the house every 2 weeks as well for more massage, Thai foot is good but bloody sore, went with the GF to some exibition and tried the quantam touch, SHIT, some woman deep breathing in my ear, stick with sports, Swedish,relfex or Thai, like I say I’ve a massage to look forward to later and cant wait.

beej

Had it every day when we did LEJOG – one of our crew is an osteo and came along. We exchanged food+camping fees for her services. At the start of the week it was fairly intense but then she eased off as we got more tired, just concentrating on basic maintenance.

Our shouts and giggles caused alarm in some of the camp sites.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Sports Massage – how many of you get it and…’ is closed to new replies.