Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • sports cars and self doubt
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve been driving my wife’s SLK this week as she decided she wanted my car for a few days to carry some stuff around.

Part of that has involved me driving the SLK with my blond, 24 year old daughter in the car with me – but fortunately the weather was too cold to have the hood down!

This is said car with it’s usual (and more appropriate) driver.

Despite being a diesel it’s quick, but wheelspins everywhere at this time of year as it has a silly amount of torque.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

CEO takes HR manager out for the latest in a series of lunches to discuss work (no really). He has a little bit too much rioja and becomes leery. HR manager decides that enough is enough and that boss is unfit to drive. Orders taxi for the boss and agrees to drive his car back to the office were it can be parked safely (and she can file her report). But the rainy conditions make it a bit of handful (true I am not good enough to drive a TVR safely). A friendly MTBer observes her difficulty and hides his bike under hedge and agrees to drive her home. They all get back safely if slightly wet (TVR’s equipment malfunction), apart from CEO who is sick in the taxi and gets an additional £100 on his bill.

Meanwhile…..

MrSmith
    Free Member

wheelspins everywhere at this time of year

user error.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RobHilton
    Free Member

Scotroutes declared: Onions Law© should always apply.
    (© Copyright Junkyard 2015)

1955 I think you’ll find: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion_Futures_Act

Is Junky really that old?

epicsteve
    Free Member

user error.

Only if you don’t like wheelspin or going sideways…

jjojjas
    Free Member

I just try not to judge people or their values based upon a car choice. Following stereotypes probably tells us more about ourselves than about anyone else.

My main car is a Jaguar XF but the weekend toy is a Mk1 MX5. A few have commented that I must be mad to cosset the old mazda in the garage and park the Jaguar on muddy tracks with the mountain bike in the back, but it makes sense to me…so thats all that matters.
    Live and let live.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I drive an MX5.
    Almost always have the top down. I just like it. Always cycled or rode motorbikes in the past so like being out in the open, helps with awareness too – good for city traffic and spotting folk on their bikes etc

I drive it through winter with the roof down too – heated seats, heaters on, scarf, hat and gloves in the glovebox

TBH, getting the MX5 was me getting sensible. Road big motorbikes through my 20s, now in my 30s…

Don’t ever really think about what other people think of me. They probably think I’m a dick because I listen to heavy metal and have a big furry hat on, but I just do it cos I like it, not to impress anyone

CountZero

Rockape63 – Member
    Why? What’s wrong with having the roof down?

If you don’t know……..!

Its just a fact (for a man) that if you own a soft top, you only drive with the roof down in particular circumstances. Not when its cold. Not in a town. Not on a motorway/busy road.

If you are an attractive blonde female those rules don’t apply!
    Which really shows how obvious your prejudices are. I see far more soft-top/drop-head cars driven by women in fine/any weather with the lid on, probably because they don’t want to mess their hair up, whereas men just stick a hat on.
    I used to have a Midget, which was terrific fun with the lid down, it came with a tonneau cover which made it even better, because with the driver side unzipped it kept the heat in on colder days, and parking up just meant zipping that side in place to keep the rain off.
    Given the money, I’d be down the nearest Mazda dealer, and buy the new-style dark metallic red MX-5 I saw in their showroom this afternoon; gorgeous little car, and I’d be driving it with the lid down and a hat on, and screw the snobbish attitudes of others.

Inbred456
    Free Member

An old Boss of mine had a BMW M3 and I hated using that to pick stuff up and drop stuff to customers. Thought it just gave the wrong impression. On the other hand one of our sparky’s had an old Audi A6 Avant that had a tuned S6 engine and running gear which I had the opportunity to buy but stupidly didn’t. That was the most fun I’ve ever had in a car. I have always preferred all go and no show!

pondo

This is exactly how arguments on STW start – people assume the worst stupidest vainest most ignorant interpretation of what they see – because they don’t have the extra meta-information of body language, tone of voice etc. It’s the same all over the internet, and in print too.

I was only ruminating on this been the cause of most road rage incidents yesterday. Either that, or it’s because people in cars in Stratford really are just a bunch of clueless nobs.

forge197
    Free Member

New MX-5 is ace

With a great heater and heated seats no issue roof down on crisp winters days

Kamakazie

Never been sure about the mid life crisis thing.
    Amway’s thought it’s just the point in time by which must people can justify spending £20k+ on a toy.

I’ve wanted a TVR since I was at primary school and I’d I can still find a good example for decent money in 10 or so years I’ll be that guy.
    Might have to get an MX-5 in the meantime though.

JulianA
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    You’re ascribing a negative view to him, possibly because subconsciously it makes you feel better. Because there is an element of competitiveness in you.
    i see it more as curiosity, looking at somebody who desires those things when you have no desires for them yourself.
    i dont drive even though i like cars but i think anything that goes over 75mph belongs on the track and not on our congested roads to sit in stationary traffic for hours, i look on with bemusement at just about anyone with an expensive car, more so if it costs around their yearly income, they live with mum and dad and is on the never-never.
    doesn’t make me better than them but i do ponder their thinking behind overspending on a depreciating asset that is i’ll suited to U.K. roads. and why they choose that outlet for their ego.

My 155 mph (and I know it will do 145 or so and have done so quite legally) convertible also happens to do 32 mpg on a run, is a great place to be even when in a traffic jam, cost about £4.5k, is paid for in full and I’m married and have been for nearly eighteen years. The car is depreciating very little. I drive it with the roof down as much as possible – the heater is very good. I also have a beautiful thirty year old Mercedes coupé – also paid for in full and an equally lovely place to be even when stationary.

You can judge me for how I spend my money if you wish – and I didn’t have to spend very much on either car – but I really don’t care. I’m having fun while you are angsting about expenditure that I can afford. No HP here…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Pagoda roof? That’s the only thing I’m anxious about. (pics if it is)
    I’m not needing you to justify your purchasing decisions but if writing it down helps you post rationalise them then feel free.

singlespeedstu

There seems to be a couple of willys being waved here. 😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just three years ago I drove round in a “fully loaded” impreza , if you’d have laughed at me I’d of laughed at you whilst reaching 60 in under 4.5. However now I laugh at people trying to fit their camping gear as I used to in such motors. Times are a changing but I will have an rs4 with a tow bar for the bike rack, something I’d never ever put on an impress ya 8)

JulianA
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    Pagoda roof?

In my dreams!

And the pagodas are all at least 45 years old now and eyewateringly expensive!

If the willy waving comment was aimed at me, I was making the point that just because I drive something nice doesn’t mean that I’m hocked up to the eyeballs, living off mum and dad and incapable of having a relationship!

singlespeedstu

There’s no need to try to justify anything.
    You wave away as much as you want. 🙂
    As it goes the comment was more aimed at Del in a very light hearted way.
    Nice motor Del. 8)

flange
    Free Member

Times are a changing but I will have an rs4 with a tow bar for the bike rack,

Unless someone now makes one to get round the exhausts, you won’t. Mine was a pain in the arse for that.

chrischim
    Free Member

I’ve got a TVR, drive it with the roof off whenever possible to get the full burbling v8 aural experience.

Del

LOL! thanks Stu! 😳
    TBF the car’s long gone, so’s the GF, and now I drive a pug expert. the plan went awry somewhere…

molgrips
    Free Member

also happens to do 32 mpg on a run

Hardly anything to be proud of!

anagallis_arvensis

Convertables are just for people too scared to ride a motorbike

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I was fortunate to be able to buy a very low mileage BMW M3 CSl the light weight very noisy carbon roof uncomfortable one but by god it was fantastic.

I very much appreciated it from a engineering point & what it was aimed at, I took it out in the dry only as I soon learnt I was not The Stig, yes people looked and old ladies shook there heads in despair as it pre blipped the revs on down shifts, it does that automatically not me but the big kid in me did enjoy it, the noise of the engine under acceleration was immense.

I was asked a few times oh is it a real one etc & some friendly people did appreciate it’s rarity and asked to sit in it which I obliged.

Of course it attracted clowns in little 1.2 corsa’s all these type of cars do, I drove it sensibly (most of the time) didn’t make a arse out of my self.
    The bottom line is, jealousy & envie will always exist be it over a car a shiny new bike a flash watch or the, they’ve got a bigger house than us… to be frank I really don’t give a sh%t because it’s all about respect, respecting a person not because of what trinkets they own is far more admirable quality in a person.

I guy lives round the corner from me, self made very successful drives a Ferrari 430 which he worked very hard for, his wife is a slim blonde he’s not a knob not a poseur & I respect him as he’s a decent human being. The thought live & let live springs to mind & just get on with living your life & don’t be bothered about a tin box with four wheels or fibre glass in TVR’s case as life is far too short.

Its Sunday now get your bike out & go for a ride & smile.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘sports cars and self doubt’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts