Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • sports cars and self doubt
  • yunki
    Free Member

A decidedly unfortunate looking fella just drove past our flats in a TVR with the roof down and a young Sofia Loren wannabe in the passenger seat ( in a Devonshire style, not very glamorous)..

As usual when I see this type of guy, I let out a tiny snigger and thought ‘what a pillock’
    I thought it was just plain inverted snobbery, but then I was reminded that on STW this attitude is often derided as envy..

I just don’t know what feelings I’m experiencing here 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re ascribing a negative view to him, possibly because subconsciously it makes you feel better. Because there is an element of competitiveness in you.

This is exactly how arguments on STW start – people assume the worst stupidest vainest most ignorant interpretation of what they see – because they don’t have the extra meta-information of body language, tone of voice etc. It’s the same all over the internet, and in print too.

You’ve done the same thing with the chap in the car. Maybe he’s minted and just likes cars? Maybe he’s a nice bloke and you’d get on well? You really don’t know.

I’m not singling you out btw – almost everyone does things like this, including me.

slowoldman

Hubris.

Swelper
    Free Member

Well put Mr Grips

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

nowthen
    Free Member

He is driving around in his sports car having fun, you are in your flat posting in the internet. I know who I would rather be…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m sure some people sniger, but then they’re those poor people who have to walk or ride bikes because they’ve no money for a nice car, or the ones who drone on about ‘bangernomics’ as if it’s a choice rather than a necessity*. Or have to drive arround in a dull german car because their wife wanted something comfortable and reliable and they’re just under the thumb, hey they might even have snuck a ‘hot hatch’ in under the radar, hey you way to stick it to the man woman.

See easy to make stereotypical observations from the other side too 😆

Actual real life downsides:
    Bikes don’t fit so well
    People ask for lifts to nowhere, including Sofia Loren wannabes
    People want to talk to you about it all the time about how they had one, their dad or ex-gf had one, they really want one but can’t justify it, they used to work at Abingdon etc which offsets the rest of the people who probably talk about it behind your back.

*bangernomics is the motoring equivalent of vegiterianism. You feel the need to tell everyone, and explain it to them and you probably smell a bit as a result of it.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

As someone who gave into a mid life crisis soft top sports car not too long back, I’ve kinda been through this myself.

As a very “private” individual, I hate the “look at me” aspect of bimbling around town with the top down, so a) I don’t bimble round town (drinks petrol like no tomorrow in stop start traffic) if I can help it. b) if I have to, the lid goes up. I still think the guys driving supercars round London, doing laps of Harrods with the tops down and the stereo up loud are dicks, though.

Once out in the countryside though, with top down and the sun shining, I couldn’t give a flying f… what someone else thinks. I’m having too much fun! I’d never really got the point of open cars until I tried one, but I love the extra sensory awareness – drive past a field that’s had cows in recently, and you know it – instantly. The noise of the slip stream in hedges, or the sudden silence when I pass a gateway – all puts me far more in connection with the environment I’m travelling through. Stargazing up on the moors on a clear night with the top down and the heated seats on is pretty cool too!

So far, it’s been a life enhancing experience (albeit expensive!) to own a sports car. Not sure how long I’ll keep it for, but so long as I enjoy it, all good here!

(I’m in reasonable shape, and the missus, whilst younger than me is not unfeasibly so, so not entirely stereotypical)

Rockape63
    Free Member

As usual when I see this type of guy, I let out a tiny snigger and thought ‘what a pillock’

I thinks that’s a perfectly reasonable assessment. Owning a TVR is okay ish, but driving around town with the roof down in winter is complete proof that he’s a nob.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Depends…

Last summer, I was enjoying a couple of beers with my ex colleagues at The Goat in Mayfair, when someone drove past in a Lamborghini Gallardo giving it the beans.

My first reaction was along the lines of “knobber”.

In retrospect, that reaction was 100% correct.

A few minutes later, I was staggering towards Piccadilly Circus tube station when a red Ferrari Dino pulled up at the lights.

My reaction was along the lines of “awesome”.

It’s context, innit.

retro83
    Free Member

Rockape63 – Member

I thinks that’s a perfectly reasonable assessment. Owning a TVR is okay ish, but driving around town with the roof down in winter is complete proof that he’s a nob.

Why? What’s wrong with having the roof down?

Rockape63
    Free Member

If you don’t know……..! 😉

Its just a fact (for a man) that if you own a soft top, you only drive with the roof down in particular circumstances. Not when its cold. Not in a town. Not on a motorway/busy road.

If you are an attractive blonde female those rules don’t apply!

failedengineer

Whoa there. Of course you should drive with the top down, what’s the point otherwise? Get a woolly hat, turn up the heater, tonneau cover on (old British cars, of course). Fab.

tpbiker
    Free Member

He is driving around in his sports car having fun, you are in your flat posting in the internet. I know who I would rather be…

pretty much this…

with a little of this

STW this attitude is often derided as envy..

To cold for me to be driving my rather nice sportscar today, but when I do I can confirm that its awesome. Far more fun that riding my bikes…you should try it some time, you may then understand rather than being so judgemental.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whoa there. Of course you should drive with the top down, what’s the point otherwise? Get a woolly hat, turn up the heater, tonneau cover on (old British cars, of course). Fab.

+1

The heater in the midget is amazeballs.

Thick woollen jacket, scarf tied neatly, gloves and, it’s not just another 7am commute in December, suddenly you’re Stirling Moss on the last lap of the 24h du’Mans.

And tunnels………….babbbbbbbbaaaaababbababaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

molgrips
    Free Member

driving around town with the roof down in winter is complete proof that he’s a nob.

No. If you have a convertible, have the roof off whenever it’s not raining. Otherwise what’s the point? Wrap up, turn up the heater – it’s still fun.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I just don’t know what feelings I’m experiencing here

Have you thought about getting a Sophia Loren wig 😉

d4
    Free Member

Drive my midget with top down whenever possible, do feel a bit self conscious in towns but I’m not going to stop and put the roof up because of what other people may think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Drive my midget with top down whenever possible, do feel a bit self conscious in towns but I’m not going to stop and put the roof up because of what other people may think. it involves stopping, 12 press studs to remove the cover, 16 press studs and two metal levers to put the roof up, and my fingers are cold enough already thankyouverymuch

FTFY

(I actually think I can do it quicker than some electric versions, but the principles there)

agent007
    Free Member

Don’t see what the problem is to be honest? As a young boy, among-st other cars I always loved Porches, particularly the 911.

I went for a drive in a 911 a few months back and it was lovely. I didn’t buy it but I still might buy one, as soon as Mrs 007 changes her car to something more practical that can carry bikes.

Does that make me part of the ‘mid life crisis’ or just plain ‘toss*r’ brigade? Perhaps, but in my eyes I’m still just a young boy, whose always loved cars, and it’s only now I’m middle aged I can actually afford to buy and run such a machine.

If I could have afforded it when I was 17 then I’d have bought one then without hesitation. Unfortunately (or possibly quite fortunately for the NHS budget), back then I couldn’t.

scotroutes

Onions Law© should always apply.

(© Copyright Junkyard 2015)

Nico
    Free Member

they don’t have the extra meta-information of body language

It’s not meta-information though, is it. It’s just extra information.

I think the whole dismissal of sports cars is true cynicism. Sometimes it’s just fun to do something that doesn’t make sense in an overly sensible world.

jam-bo

TVR + rainy day?

I call bullshit 😉

jam-bo

Unless it was being pulled out of a hedge…

ski
    Free Member

Nothing beats putting some shades on, hopping into a rag top with the roof down, without opening the doors, and then lapping up the opposite sex attention you get, especially if the car is not yours

Klunk
    Free Member

I always remember my friend in his s2000 driving it down to the south of france thinking it would be “cool”. Had to drive around with the roof up cos it was too hot without the aircon.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Every time I have had ‘fancy cars’ I have battled against this. People assume that I want to be seen in them, when as someone who hates being looked at it couldn’t be further from the truth.

I buy cars because I want to buy them, I have had many cars that people would claim are for attention (2 seaters, built for driving, often in bright colours, with big engines etc) – but they really aren’t and to be honest get pissed off that I can’t spend my hard earn money on things that I want to without them saying I am trying to show off.

But this is true for anything really, I have had them same for with bikes, houses, motorbikes etc. Truth is I buy what I want for me and my family, and would rather I didn’t have to interact with the world, let alone be judged by them, but there we go.

I’d prefer to judge people by there deeds not their possessions, so judging people for having possessions will always seem like reverse snobbery. Just like I would expect someone to judge me if I looked down on others for their possessions or lack of them, and any association I might have with lack of possessions and not being prepared to work and contribute.

I’ve no idea if the chap in the TVR would try to judge you just because you were viewing from a flat, and not a house and any implications about your wealth and work ethic that could come from that…

I’m not sure of the point I am trying to make anymore but it’s probably best not to stare out of the window at someone, judge them and jump on the internet to tell people how you are better than a stranger you have no idea of.

And I am well aware of the irony of me judging you for judging someone else, and neither of us are actually judges so we should really just back away from all this judging business!

avdave2

You are cursed with self awareness. The driver is immune to it so can drive around feeling brilliant about himself while you live in a pit of your own inadequacies.

“The intelligent are full of doubt while the stupid are full of confidence.”

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Yunki……. the TVR didn’t happen to be a burgundy Cerbera, did it?

slowoldman

Reminds me of MGB, top down, Morpeth on a Sunday morning, Frank Zappa.

The folks I find odd are the ones who drive around on a lovely summer’s day with the hood UP.

MrSmith
    Free Member

You’re ascribing a negative view to him, possibly because subconsciously it makes you feel better. Because there is an element of competitiveness in you.

i see it more as curiosity, looking at somebody who desires those things when you have no desires for them yourself.
    i dont drive even though i like cars but i think anything that goes over 75mph belongs on the track and not on our congested roads to sit in stationary traffic for hours, i look on with bemusement at just about anyone with an expensive car, more so if it costs around their yearly income, they live with mum and dad and is on the never-never.
    doesn’t make me better than them but i do ponder their thinking behind overspending on a depreciating asset that is i’ll suited to U.K. roads. and why they choose that outlet for their ego.

julians
    Free Member

It says more about the ops prejudices than the driver of the car.

Presumably(if the op is old enough) the op used to hate people with mobile phones back in the late 80’s early 90’s.

….but i do ponder their thinking behind overspending on a depreciating asset that is i’ll suited to U.K. roads. and why they choose that outlet for their ego.

Your post was well considered up until the bit about ego, have you thought that maybe its nothing to do with ego , but they really enjoy driving the car they have and consider it an acceptable price to pay?

agent007
    Free Member

i see it more as curiosity, looking at somebody who desires those things when you have no desires for them yourself.
    i dont drive even though i like cars but i think anything that goes over 75mph belongs on the track and not on our congested roads to sit in stationary traffic for hours, i look on with bemusement at just about anyone with an expensive car, more so if it costs around their yearly income, they live with mum and dad and is on the never-never.
    doesn’t make me better than them but i do ponder their thinking behind overspending on a depreciating asset that is i’ll suited to U.K. roads. and why they choose that outlet for their ego.

You could say that about a bike too:

On a serious not though, why would what someone else chooses to spend their money ever worry you?

Rockape63
    Free Member

No. If you have a convertible, have the roof off whenever it’s not raining. Otherwise what’s the point? Wrap up, turn up the heater – it’s still fun.

The ‘point’ Moley, is that you have the choice. You just have to choose the right moments!

Don’t see what the problem is to be honest? As a young boy, among-st other cars I always loved Porches, particularly the 911.

Entirely understandable old Chap…this is a completely different matter and you are only guilty of showing excellent taste! 8)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The ‘point’ Moley, is that you have the choice. You just have to choose the right moments!

You’re both wrong, it’s fine in the rain.

MrSmith
    Free Member

On a serious not though, why would what someone else chooses to spend their money ever worry you?

who said it did? 😯

i ponder lots of things, ITV programs and the orange tans of the presenters, the way Davina McCall shouts, why people listen to Coldplay and why people wear sportswear to go to pub. i cant say i worry about any of them.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

If you don’t know……..!
    It was a TVR so it was probably broken! 😆

footflaps

why people listen to Coldplay

I quite like Coldplay and often ponder why they get so much stick from some people….

Del

the TVR didn’t happen to be a burgundy Cerbera, did it?

not unless it had some extensive mods:

😉

had my chim first when i was about 28. early mid life crisis?
    a couple of track days and over 45k miles as my only car. meh. i could afford it, and could afford to keep it running, and mine never wound up in the hedge. 😉

you’ve a family op, some might envy you that. it’s probably just a case of the grass being greener. enjoy what you’ve got, don’t begrudge others their choices.

philjunior
    Free Member

The only daft roof down driving I’ve seen has been a guy in a Saab convertible that I saw shortly after (once the rain had come on hard) sat on the hard shoulder.

Didn’t he know that the correct response is to speed up until the slipstream keeps him dry?

On a similar note, my desire for a fast 2 seater has been interpreted by some as a desire for a “fanny magnet”, whereas it has absolutely nothing with that and in fact I’m quite sure the opposite effect would occur (whether from being forced to sit in the freezing cold with the top down in winter, or from my constant absenteeism due to tinkering).

People do have their preconceptions about other people though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘sports cars and self doubt’ is closed to new replies.