Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sportive riding – Advice please regarding pain and further training.
  • chameleon78
    Free Member

Just completed my second sportive this weekend, my first being a very hilly 65miles in the Chilterns and my second being a fast 55miles in Lincoln, finishing on a 1 in 6 cobbled climb.

On both events my inner quads on the front of my thigh starting cramping. In the chilterns my legs actually locked up briefly on the last climb forcing me to jump off the bike in agony. in lincoln it didn’t come on as bad but i could feel it after about 50miles, i still rode the last 2 hills competently though.

Is this normal? Am i doing somethig wrong or is it something that will improve as i get fitter? I’m eating and drinking on the bike including gels.
    I will be trying to up my mid week riding now summers here but would just like some advice please.

fasthaggis

Try spinning a lower gear ,see if that helps.

anc
    Free Member

Get your base miles in over the winter, join a local club that has regular training runs to help with motivation in the winter and speed in the spring. If your cramping your probably going too hard early on.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re short on training miles, or trying to ride the sportive a whole lot faster than you would ride normally.

I agree with fasthaggis and add…

Ride the first half one gear lower than you think you need.

glenp
    Free Member

Spin easier gears – 90rpm is good for me, faster sometimes. Take every opportunity to rest or half-rest. Grab a wheel, hide in the lee of a hedge against the wind etc. Eat plenty and keep up the energy and fluid intake. Don’t be in a hurry to give it max. Know your reliable pace and stick to it.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Plenty of fluids and food as above and maybe do some more hill training? And also as above don’t go off like a rocket!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

For rides of that duration just go out and give it hell. Whats the worst that can happen?

ourmaninthenorth

What anc said – no substitute for plenty of training, especially in a club environment.

TBH, you’re not fit enough for the speed you want to go if you’re cramping on a 65 mile ride, irrespective of how hilly it is.

glenp
    Free Member

If you want to ride one hill – then sure, give it hell. If you want to ride ten hills your best tactic is rather boring but very effective – be patient.

monkeychild
    Free Member

OT: I was at the Lincoln sportive on Sat did it in 2hr51.

Back OT: As above keep the cadence up, do more training and take on electrolytes if training hard.

chameleon78
    Free Member

monkeychild i did it in 3h13.
    we did set off at a rather fast pace, all my winter miles (up to 50miles on a weekly basis, plus 30min turbo work mid week)averaged 16mph, as i’m getting fitter i’m doing 17-18 average, however the first 25 miles were about 18-20mph so maybe I was going to hard at the start.
    To be honest I felt good in Lincoln, just felt it coming on so had to nurse it a bit for the last 5 miles.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sportive riding – Advice please regarding pain and further training.’ is closed to new replies.