• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Del.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spokes snapping (commuter)
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

Hey all just after some advice, a spoke popped last week whilst riding home a quick swap at home and the wheel was back in action wheel straight etc. However riding to work this morning live at the top of a hill right at the bottom it decides to snap again (not sure if its the same spoke but is defiantly the same side (rear drive side). Que a couple short words with my bike disconnected rear brake and a ride back home swap wheels and off to work.

If I replace the spoke again tonight is another one just going to snap next week (wheels done a large amount of miles) or have I just got unlucky these past two weeks?

VanHalen

i went through a spate of snapping spokes. i do commute off road. and often try to incorporate as many fun street features i can find.

i eventually built another wheel. i think the wheel tension gets way too unbalanced and remaining spokes get fatigued by others failing. its was a cheapo xc rim.

i`ve had one break in the new one (my ususal mavic rim) so i guess the slippery slope starts again.

xc-steve
    Free Member

hmm feared this would be the case, worth replacing the spoke then getting someone who knows what they’re doing to re-tension the whole wheel… however am unsure how long this will delay it for…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

youll chase broken spokes all round the wheel once they start fatigue braking like that. let me guess – factory built wheel ? snapping at the head of the thread at the nipple end?

worth rebuilding now – saves you grief in the long run.

clubber
    Free Member

Spokes usually break like this when they’re loose which allows them to flex more and then fatigue. Usually this will keep happening now until they’ve all been replaced…

Basically, your wheel needs rebuilding with new spokes, on the drive side at least, probably both.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Where’s the snap? At the hook/thread/middle etc?

xc-steve
    Free Member

well trail rat you are correct! Snapping by the nipple have booked it in to be rebuilt. Considering its served me for the past 3 years and is my winter training bike I’m pretty impressed with how long its lasted (Hope pro3 on openpros).

stumpy01

Yeah, what trail rat says.

I had a similar problem with the rear wheel on my Stumpjumper; seemingly broke a spoke every time I rode it…. Had the wheel re-built with new spokes and no problems since.

Del

our expectations all differ i guess.
    i would ( and have ) just slacken everything all off and then re-tension, but if the nipples are seized and 5hitty then this might be easier said than done.
    i was breaking spokes on a 700c rear wheel of very unknown provenance and this fixed it. initially i thought i was breaking them due to table-topping speed bumps but this appeared unrelated. 😀
    re-tensioning solved the issue until the breaking surface wore through. 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Spokes snapping (commuter)’ is closed to new replies.