Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Spokes are too long :(
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

Just rebuilt my rear wheel with a new hub and the driveside spokes are a little too long (1-1.5mm). I’ve wrapped 4-5 layers of electrical tape around the inside of the rim – will it end in tears on the first bumpy d/h? Really didn’t want to budget for new spokes too – yes I know I’m a cheapskate as far as the boring stuff is concerned (no problem dropping silly money on this though . . . mmmmmmmmm 😛 )

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

only 10 quid from chain reaction, just buy them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Proper (velox) rim tape will sort this.

Have you enough spoke tension? That’s the only limiting factor IMO

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yeah feels like there’s plenty of tension, in fact I could probably loosen them off a little – my wheel building is very random but haven’t had one fold on me yet . . . famous last words, eh? 😉

I know you’re right holyhutzpa but I’m hoping to pick up my new frame tomorrow and I can’t possibly wait another day for spokes 🙄 . I’ll pop into the lbs on the way back from work and pick up some non-cheapskate rim tape.

spev

Grid the tops off with a dermal, although if they don’t protrude out of the rim holes then some extra tape or velox as cynic-al says

PJM1974
    Free Member

If the wheel is true and the spoke tension is right then it should be fine – as you say just pad out the rim bed to avoid a spoke protruding into the tube and you’re away.

(edit) Climber’s finger tape works extremely well in these cases!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Cool – cheers all!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Spokes are too long :(’ is closed to new replies.